• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Odds on Jeff Carter getting disciplined by the NHL for his blind-side shoulder into Makar's head tonight? 10 billion to 1?

Odds on Jeff Carter getting disciplined by the NHL for his blind-side shoulder into Makar's head tonight? 10 billion to 1?
Slim, yes. Carter doesn't have a ton of history and that could at least marginally be defended. I mean, Trouba keeps hitting guys high and nobody cares, so ... that one was pretty tame compared to those

Slim, yes. Carter doesn't have a ton of history and that could at least marginally be defended. I mean, Trouba keeps hitting guys high and nobody cares, so ... that one was pretty tame compared to those
Ahh yes, that POS Trouba…the serial repeat offender who according to the league has never done anything wrong before…one of the leagues great mysteries.

Ahh yes, that POS Trouba…the serial repeat offender who according to the league has never done anything wrong before…one of the leagues great mysteries.
I believe that Trouba found the Scott Stevens exception and has been living in that space ever since. Basically, if you play for an Original 6 franchise or a team located in a major metropolitan area associated with those teams, then you can explode through as many guys' heads as you want so long as you start the move from a normal hockey position and don't extend your lead arm through contact. Do that and you can concuss as many guys as you can line up and catch. The whole scheme requires you to be a certain size to pull it off, but if you're too tall for that loophole, then don't worry ... you might qualify for the Chara amendment. That's the one where you can crosscheck as many guys in the face as you want, so long as you are 8" or more taller than your target.

Was just about to post the same thing. I saw Weekesy's tweet about it. Oh boy, here we go.

Some NHL beat writers reporting Tarasenko to the NYR.

Makes sense. They never like having cap room to burn without actually using it ... preferably on an older skill guy. Plus, they have 2 first round picks and that's just not the Rangers' MO. Burn those picks, spend that money ... that's the Ranger way.

Also, kind of makes sense on the ice. That second scoring unit hasn't really materialized and they need some additional pop from the wing. St Louis will have to eat some money, so this should be a pretty steep return, which is good for them. Especially considering Tarasenko has only been OK this year.

Some reports say that Sammy Blais is part of the package headed to the Blues along with picks. Frank Pagnotta fro The Fourth Period said the Blues are retaining a “big chunk” of Tarasenko’s cap hit. As noted, it’s a $7.5 million it, but only $5.5 million actual.

Update. Weekes says it’s Blais, minor league dman Hunter Skinner and picks, which Dreger says are a 1st and 4th.

The first round pick is the lower of the Rangers and Dallas's pick. So its really a 1st round pick and not much else.

The first round pick is the lower of the Rangers and Dallas's pick. So its really a 1st round pick and not much else.
Blues retain 50% of Tarasenko’s cap hit. Rangers also got dman Niko Mokkola who has 3 assists for the Blues this season. He’s on a 1 year, $1.9 million contract. To make room, the Rangers placed dman Libor Hajek on waivers. He had only played 15 games for them this season.

Tarasenko has a full NTC. That might have factored into St. Louis only being able to get a low 1st round pick out of that even though they retained 50%. Blais and Skinner are not good prospects. Blais scored 0 goals in 54 games for the Rangers after coming over in the Pavel Buchnevic trade, so he is going back to St. Louis where I supposed he is bound to score a goal again.

You can say that the Canes could have done this deal, and certainly we could have put an equivalent package together, but it's hard to say really if Tarasenko would have okayed a trade here.

Last edited:
Teams are not afraid to get out in front of things early on the trade front...makes those NHL trade day deadline shows less sexy I guess.

Devils forward Jack Hughes is week to week with an upper body injury. He missed last night’s win against the Kraken, the Devils 3rd in a row, which moved them to 4 points behind the Canes with the same number of games played. Hamilton had 2 PP goals and set a career high in points.

Tarasenko has a full NTC. That might have factored into St. Louis only being able to get a low 1st round pick out of that even though they retained 50%. Blais and Skinner are not good prospects. Blais scored 0 goals in 54 games for the Rangers after coming over in the Pavel Buchnevic trade, so he is going back to St. Louis where I supposed he is bound to score a goal again.

You can say that the Canes could have done this deal, and certainly we could have put an equivalent package together, but it's hard to say really if Tarasenko would have okayed a trade here.
It's also hard to say if Tarasenko would have fit in all that well with the Canes. Since the injury and after that bounce-back season last year, he's turned into much more of a playmaker than a shooter. He's still really, really good on the rush which is a thing Carolina badly needs to boost, but otherwise he really only fits the Canes specific short term need if you close your eyes and imagine the player he was 4-5 years ago. He's also just wretched defensively, and one should keep in mind that Carolina likes to match good on good with their top lines.

I know I often throw cold water on potential trades, but let me be specific on what I think Carolina needs in a top 6 forward. They either need an upgrade on Kotkaniemi/Stastny at center or a shooter with enough physical presence to take some heat off of Aho and whatever other smallish guy is on his wing. Pacioretty was pretty much a perfect fit in that second role. Meier is also a good fit, but the asking price sounds like it's stuck in stupid territory. And as y'all know ... I'm not a huge fan of stupid acquisition prices.

I fully agree with you JB. Tarasenko isn't the guy I would want the Canes to trade their 1st round pick for. He's a pure rental, which the Canes have pretty much said they don't value enough to go all in on. He's also injury prone.

The Rangers are desperate for anyone who typically plays RW and can actually score goals. This is a gaping hole on their roster that Tarasenko certainly fills. All of their offensive talent is at center (Zibanejad, Trocheck, Chytil) or LW (Panerin, Kreider). Their top RWs are Kakko, Kravtsov, Vesey and Gauthier

Tarasenko is a much better fit for what the Rangers need than he would have been for the Canes. He immediately becomes the Rangers #1 RW. We already have Jarvis and Necas at RW (and Svech and Turbo also can play there). For the Canes, go get a real #2 center or someone who can create some space out there and can score goals.

Panthers goalie Spencer Knight has a new mask. It features artwork from some patients at Joe DiMaggio Chidren’s Hospitwl in Hollywood, FL. It’s freaking awesome.

Panthers goalie Spencer Knight has a new mask. It features artwork from some patients at Joe DiMaggio Chidren’s Hospitwl in Hollywood, FL. It’s freaking awesome.

Being a collector of goalie masks and spending far too much money on that hobby over the years I will say it’s always great to see new creative ways to display things on a goalie mask! That is really cool and I hope that bad boy sells for big bucks at charity auction at some point for the Children’s Hospital!

Attachments

• FC37910A-A036-4FAB-81B6-596460453362.jpeg
    FC37910A-A036-4FAB-81B6-596460453362.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 9C2E74F1-4E68-4A50-A95C-ECEDB5F9A944.jpeg
    9C2E74F1-4E68-4A50-A95C-ECEDB5F9A944.jpeg
    816.1 KB · Views: 5
Back