• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Yeah Bergevin really did you fuckers a favor with that joke offer sheet.
Bergevin did a lot as MTL GM and mostly not making making the team better. Sure you guys got to the Cup Finals, but that was a team willing itself more than Bergevin making hockey moves.

Seravalli tweeted that Vegas is looking at acquiring Quick from the Jackets. But they have cap issues to resolve.

Bergevin did a lot as MTL GM and mostly not making making the team better. Sure you guys got to the Cup Finals, but that was a team willing itself more than Bergevin making hockey moves.
In hindsight now a lot made sense about what he did. He just shouldn't have done it.

Price and Weber were toast. Truly their last ride. It's why Corey Perry, Eric Staal etc agreed to sign with Montreal. They are friends with Price and Weber.

Bergevin tried to get those two a cup before they hung it up. It's also why they made it to the cup, the whole team was on a mission. Price had no knees left and Weber was on one foot. Both hall of fame players with no cup.

If I were a player I would have appreciated my GM doing that.

I do give MB credit for not selling the farm in trying it though. That would have been worse. He left us in cap hell but our picks and prospects were left intact.

In hindsight, it could have been a lot worse.

Yeah ... classic big swing run in his late term in Montreal. There's worse ways to go.
Aho is going to be looking for $9.5+ million AAV x8 and will have comparables justifying the ask.
Which is fine. That's only a million more than he makes now and 8 years puts him in his mid 30s. There's a heck of a lot worse contracts out there ... and several teams have 2-3 of them.

Brock McGinn cleared waivers and was re-assigned by Pittsburgh to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Pens clear cap space that will allow them to make a trade. McGinn at least secured a nice payday, but he doesn't deserve to be banished to the AHL. I don't want him back here but someone else #FreeBrock!

Brock McGinn cleared waivers and was re-assigned by Pittsburgh to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton

Pens clear cap space that will allow them to make a trade. McGinn at least secured a nice payday, but he doesn't deserve to be banished to the AHL. I don't want him back here but someone else #FreeBrock!
I love McGinn. At Martinook’s cap hit, not $2.75 million per. I’m convinced that Waddell went to Martinook, McGinn and Foegele and told them he had 1 spot at $1.8 million and the first one to jump gets it. Marty stayed, McGinn became a UFA, Foegele was traded for Bear.

Last edited:
I’m convinced that Waddell went to Martinook, McGinn and Foegele and told them he had 1 spot at $1.8 million and the first one to jump gets it. Marty stayed, McGinn became a UFA, Foegele was traded for Bear.
Oh, I'm 100% certain you're right ... at least when it comes to McGinn and Martinook. I think Foegele just wanted to be promised he'd have a bigger role.

Bruins sign Pastrnak to an 8 year extension with a $11.25 million AAV. Per LeBrun, it breaks down as below:

For more detailed structure on Pastrnak contract:
Salary ($63.5M total)
$8.5M
$8.5M
$8.5M
$8.25M
$8.25M
$7.5M
$7M
$7M
Signing bonus money ($26.5M total)
$4.5M
$4.5M
$4M
$3M
$3M
$3M
$2.5M
$2M

Bruins sign Pastrnak to an 8 year extension with a $11.25 million AAV. Per LeBrun, it breaks down as below:

For more detailed structure on Pastrnak contract:
Salary ($63.5M total)
$8.5M
$8.5M
$8.5M
$8.25M
$8.25M
$7.5M
$7M
$7M
Signing bonus money ($26.5M total)
$4.5M
$4.5M
$4M
$3M
$3M
$3M
$2.5M
$2M
That's a lot of dosh, but Pasta has been one of the top 4-5 wingers in the league for a while now and will only be 34/35 when the contract ends. Seems about right, although the Bruins might wish they had structured a bit more of a tail-off by the last 2 seasons.

How on earth do MO and the Panthers lose a pivotal home game to a team that just traded away almost a third of their team??? Yikes, that stings.
Dead cat bounce. Every single season we see all sorts of bad teams dump their veterans at the deadline and then play like their collective hair is on fire for a couple of games.

I suppose a lot has yet to be seen, but are the Rangers the Yankees on ice? Just curious what others think?

Jim
I just don't get the concern about the Rangers all of a sudden. Nobody gave a crap about them back in December and they add 2 well past their prime wingers and they're some sort of modern version of the Greztky Oilers? That's a good offensive team that relies way too much on their goalie to bail them out because they don't play any discernible defensive system most of the time. They're coached by a guy who is all rep and no hardware, and owned by a man nearly no one on earth thinks is a good owner. Are they a danger? Certainly, because any team with a goalie that good and the ability to drop a couple of quick goals on you is dangerous. But let's dial it back a notch or two, yeah?

I just don't get the concern about the Rangers all of a sudden. Nobody gave a crap about them back in December and they add 2 well past their prime wingers and they're some sort of modern version of the Greztky Oilers? That's a good offensive team that relies way too much on their goalie to bail them out because they don't play any discernible defensive system most of the time. They're coached by a guy who is all rep and no hardware, and owned by a man nearly no one on earth thinks is a good owner. Are they a danger? Certainly, because any team with a goalie that good and the ability to drop a couple of quick goals on you is dangerous. But let's dial it back a notch or two, yeah?
And they’re 9 points behind the Canes, having played 2 more games..

Back