• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

Toronto can run and gun with most teams in the league ... sadly for them, one of the teams on that list is Florida. I've never been hugely convinced by Sheldon Keefe's ability to cook up a Plan B. Let's see what he's got for Mo, because one thing I know about Mo is that if whatever he's doing is working then he'll stick with it without a second thought. If anybody's gonna change the tone of this series, it's gonna have to be Toronto doing the changing. And look, if the Leafs get past Florida, whoever they get next is going to require the same kind of adjustments.

Last edited:
Toronto can run and gun with most teams in the league ... sadly for them, one of the teams on that list is Florida. I've never been hugely convinced by Sheldon Keefe's ability to cook up a Plan B. Let's see what he's got for Mo, because one thing I know about Mo is that if whatever he's doing is working then he'll stick with it without a second thought. If anybody's gonna chance the tone of this series, it's gonna have to be Toronto doing the changing. And look, if the Leafs get past Florida, whoever they get next is going to require the same kind of adjustments.
Agree on Queef...not a fan, he is terrible at adjustments and even worse at keeping anything consistent...Nylander with Tavares does not work but here he was again last night trying it and he got burned again, he played Holl like his life depended on it until the pressure to take him out became too loud and too much for him to handle...Scooby Doo swears his hand picked coach from the Soo is the second coming of Jack Adams so there's that too...

The Rangers and Gerard Gallant have mutually agreed to part ways. Let the Q rumors to New York heat up now!
Gallant has been a head coach 4 times. In the three previous occasions he was fired in his third year. This time he didn’t even make it that far. Excuse me while I get my huge red flag.

Panthers set up a potential sweep of the Leafs. Would that be a raking?

Who get fired first in Toronto? All of the front office?

Panthers set up a potential sweep of the Leafs. Would that be a raking?

Who get fired first in Toronto? All of the front office?
I think everybody would get the axe, all in one fell swoop. The question would be who is the one swinging the axe? I'm pretty sure MLSE has an interim CEO, and I'd guess that a clean sweep would include Shanahan.

Until the Leafs are eliminated, they are not dead yet (just mostly dead).

Matthews and Nylander will be on the final year of their current contracts next season. It will be interesting to see where Matthew's head is at when it comes time for the Leafs to talk to his agent about a possible extension. The money is not going to be an issue with the Leafs. If Matthews wants to stay and the Leafs want to keep him there won't be an issue working out a contract. But does Matthews want to stay in Toronto? And do the Leafs want to tie themselves to Matthews for 8 more years at over $100 million given his playoff performance?

It's going to be an interesting soap opera in Toronto over the next 14 months. And we likely don't yet know who will be navigating the Leafs from a front office perspective through this period.

By the way, Leafs draft picks as stands right now for the next 3 drafts?

2023 - 1st (Boston's), 5th and 6th
2024 - 1st, 3rd (Islanders), 4th, 5th, 5th (from Chicago), 6th, 7th, 7th (Ottawa)
2025 - 3rd, 5th, 5th (Chicago), 6th, 7th

The Leafs 2025 first round pick was traded to Chicago as part of the Jake McCabe trade. It's top 10 protected.

So not only does the potential next GM have to figure out what to do with their top 4's upcoming contracts, they also don't have a whole lot of draft capital to work with.

Last edited:
Until the Leafs are eliminated, they are not dead yet (just mostly dead).

Matthews and Nylander will be on the final year of their current contracts next season. It will be interesting to see where Matthew's head is at when it comes time for the Leafs to talk to his agent about a possible extension. The money is not going to be an issue with the Leafs. If Matthews wants to stay and the Leafs want to keep him there be an issue working out a contract. But does Matthews want to stay in Toronto? And do the Leafs want to tie themselves to Matthews for 8 more years at over $100 million given his playoff performance?

It's going to be an interesting soap opera in Toronto over the next 14 months. And we likely don't yet know who will be navigating the Leafs from a front office perspective through this period.

By the way, Leafs draft picks as stands right now for the next 3 drafts?

2023 - 1st (Boston's), 5th and 6th
2024 - 1st, 3rd (Islanders), 4th, 5th, 5th (from Chicago), 6th, 7th, 7th (Ottawa)
2025 - 3rd, 5th, 5th (Chicago), 6th, 7th

The Leafs 2025 first round pick was traded to Chicago as part of the Jake McCabe trade. It's top 10 protected.

So not only does the potential next GM have to figure out what to do with their top 4's upcoming contracts, they also don't have a whole lot of draft capital to work with.
Hypothetical question...if Arizona was to win the draft lottery tonight...would you do a Matthews for Bedard trade? THe NHL on Sirius guys today were suggesting that makes too much sense...it's fun to throw that out for discussion.

As far as the Leafs go...change has to occur...the core four or five cannot get it done, period, no words need to be wasted trying to say that bringing back that broken bunch works any longer just move on from it, it's a group that simply does not have what it takes come playoff time, the country club atmosphere up there has to go, Dubas coddles that core to a point of no return, throw the baby out with the bath water.

Hypothetical question...if Arizona was to win the draft lottery tonight...would you do a Matthews for Bedard trade? THe NHL on Sirius guys today were suggesting that makes too much sense...it's fun to throw that out for discussion.

As far as the Leafs go...change has to occur...the core four or five cannot get it done, period, no words need to be wasted trying to say that bringing back that broken bunch works any longer just move on from it, it's a group that simply does not have what it takes come playoff time, the country club atmosphere up there has to go, Dubas coddles that core to a point of no return, throw the baby out with the bath water.
Matthews full NMC kicks in on July 1st, so that would need to happen before then. He can't sign an extension until July 1st. So he has a say in things for sure.

That would be a crazy level trade.

Who knows what Bedard really is before he actually plays an NHL game? The thing is though, you absolutely need to know that Matthews is going to sign a long term deal with you before you pull the trigger on that trade from an Arizona perspective. I get that Matthews is from Arizona, but why in the world would a superstar like Auston Matthews commit long term to a team playing in a college arena for a few more years? I can see Matthews playing somewhere else, but it would be a big time market like New York, or LA. He's a superstar talent.

On the Leafs side, doing a Matthews for Bedard trade suddenly would free up a massive amount of money that the Leafs could use to shore up the rest of their roster. The pressure on Bedard to produce right away would be almost unfathomable.

Fun thought, but I don't think the team that gets Bedard is going to consider trading him. He's an instant marketing megastar with low cost for 3 seasons for the team that wins the lottery. Matthews is $12+ million per season with subpar playoff results. I would rather take my chances with Bedard.

I don't think Arizona would make that trade, better to keep the cheaper potential superstar.

I think Toronto would consider that trade, but I don't think Matthews would be willing to sign a deal for Arizona. That makes the whole concept moot.

I mean, maybe ... but Arizona is NOT set up to take advantage of a legit superstar right now and would be a lot better off with a young, budding star. My opinion only. They need a full fledged box office draw in 3 years, not now.

Why would Arizona commit all that money to a guy when they have 5,000 seats for the foreseeable future? No matter how good Bedard is, he's not a sure thing (plus injuries, etc) but that doesn't sound like something I'd want if I was Arizona. I'd rather market the "next Connor McDavid" for <$1M a year.

Prediction:

Arizona will not even tender a trade offer to A. Matthews and the (probably flopping) Coyotes team owner will make a snide remark along the lines of, "Why the hell would we want that overpriced, dirty mustache, playoff bust when we could have a talent that will change the game as we know it?" Then, in the first period of the first game that Toronto plays in Arizona next season, A. Matthews will give C. Bedard a cheap shot so horrible, it ends the budding star's career right then there. A. Matthews will then turn to the (probably flopping) Coyotes owner and will yell, "NOW YOU HAVE NOTHING!!!!," and his mustache will get even dirtier.

Trade
Prediction:

Arizona will not even tender a trade offer to A. Matthews and the (probably flopping) Coyotes team owner will make a snide remark along the lines of, "Why the hell would we want that overpriced, dirty mustache, playoff bust when we could have a talent that will change the game as we know it?" Then, in the first period of the first game that Toronto plays in Arizona next season, A. Matthews will give C. Bedard a cheap shot so horrible, it ends the budding star's career right then there. A. Matthews will then turn to the (probably flopping) Coyotes owner and will yell, "NOW YOU HAVE NOTHING!!!!," and his mustache will get even dirtier.
woof

Back