• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The goalie interference goal debate was front and center again last night for Canada vs the USA at the World Junior semis. For anyone that follows IIHF hockey, their rules on that stuff has always been stricter than most. That first goal as debatable as it was, is going to be a no goal with the IIHF based on the rule for being in the crease. The second one was based on pushing the goalies pad across the line...even though to me it looked more like a loose puck battle in front. As much as I was cheering for the Motherland...I must admit the Americans played a pretty solid game and deserved better, Canada's defensive structure was a mess and their goalie saved their ass.

IIHF rule is still more clear than the NHL imho
That's the case with most rules, especially those with grey areas. IIHF doesn't trust its refs to have too much discretion and is cool with sometimes having a rule that's a bit on the harsh side. The NHL is the polar opposite. Everything's designed with a squishy lack of clarity so there's never any accountability because there's always some sort of far-fetched, barely plausible excuse for basically any interpretation. Bottom line ... the IIHF isn't scared of its member country delegations the way the NHL is scared of the owners.

My problem with hockey (and publications that focus only on hockey) is that my love of the game is proportional to how well the Hurricanes are doing in that moment. If they win, yeah, gimme all the hockey content, but when they lose, it's off to Willow where I can calm my nerves with some cricket action for a few days.

Kraken with 6 1st period Goals in 13:11. Mrazek, 5 shots 1 save. Stalock relieved him and gave up 2 goals on the first 2 shots he faced.

Ned is 3-2-1 2.30 GAA and.920 Sv% for Grand Rapids. I don't expect him to be claimed.
No way he gets claimed. Even if some GM believed in Ned as a project, he's a UFA this summer and even half of his remaining salary is expensive for what you'd be getting in the meantime.

A couple of contract extensions signed the last couple of days.

Wild sign Matthew Boldy to a 7 year/$49 million extension. He’s in the last year of his entry level contact. He has 27 goals, 41 assists in 89 career games. Excuse me?

Bruins sign Pavel Zacha to a 4 year/$19 million extension. He’s on a 1 year, $3.5 million contract.

That's maybe a bit much for Zacha but he's been a good fit in Boston and should be in his prime for most of the deal. Boldy? I dunno. He was really good for them last season but his production has slipped a bit. He's got good underlying numbers so some of that is just the cycle, but I have a hard time seeing him as a $7 million by 7 years guy. Minnesota has struggled to hang on to quality forwards so maybe they feel like he's got another level and is worth the reach.

Paul Maurice might need to find his checkbook after tonight’s comments. He’s pissed about the schedule, but it was nothing out of the ordinary, they went to Detroit to Dallas to Colorado to Vegas to home, playing every other night. Then in Buffalo for a matinee yesterday, Toronto tonight. But he was pissed about the officiating. Leafs had 7 power plays, Panthers had 3. And apparantly, Mo has a beef with Francois St. Laurent.

And apparantly, Mo has a beef with Francois St. Laurent.
I've got beef with St Laurent as well, and I'd be willing to wager Mo's opinion is shared by most coaches. He's an idiot's idiot. The NHL could replace him, Fred L'Ecuyer and Justin St Pierre with office chairs and improve the level of officiating dramatically.

They called that Gudas hit (looks at game notes) charging? THAT was charging? That was a fantastic play by Gudas, and he got a penalty for it (and the Leafs scored on the PP of course).

Again the RBA call for an 'eye in the sky' has another exhibit. That was not charging, that shouldn't have been a penalty at all.

Back