• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

So, Game 4 tonight in Sunrise. Seems like a fulcrum game to me. Florida was lucky to get out alive in Game 3 with more late game heroics and OT magic, but they steadily lost control of that game as it went along. If the rush of game opening emotion hadn't gotten them that early goal, that game would have unfolded differently. They NEED this one, because I do not like their chances if they go back to Vegas down 3-1.

So, Game 4 tonight in Sunrise. Seems like a fulcrum game to me. Florida was lucky to get out alive in Game 3 with more late game heroics and OT magic, but they steadily lost control of that game as it went along. If the rush of game opening emotion hadn't gotten them that early goal, that game would have unfolded differently. They NEED this one, because I do not like their chances if they go back to Vegas down 3-1.
Is there a game today?

Man City oozed their way to the Champions League trophy with a 1-0 win fueled by broken financial fair play regs and PEDs.

Oh, and Florida more than likely blew their chance at this series by getting absolutely tossed in the 2nd period. They tried but couldn't climb out of a 3-0 hole, and then acted like petulant toddlers afterwards. Shameful behavior, honestly. I think I'm probably done with watching that team do whatever it is they think they're doing.

Man City oozed their way to the Champions League trophy with a 1-0 win fueled by broken financial fair play regs and PEDs.

Oh, and Florida more than likely blew their chance at this series by getting absolutely tossed in the 2nd period. They tried but couldn't climb out of a 3-0 hole, and then acted like petulant toddlers afterwards. Shameful behavior, honestly. I think I'm probably done with watching that team do whatever it is they think they're doing.
What's been irking me about it is that I don't remember that being Mo's style when he was here...

Florida has embarrassed themselves with not only the thuggery and beer league antics but fans littering the ice with bottles and projectiles. Act like it’s the Cup Finals for Pete’s sake…

Intimidation for the next game.
Respectfully, not buying that for a minute. Vegas has largely been unimpressed with their antics, and after 4 games the Panthers know it as well as anyone. They're just children throwing a tantrum at this point.

What's been irking me about it is that I don't remember that being Mo's style when he was here...
Mo's "style" is that he doesn't actually coach the team in the traditional sense. He's never had a team where the players didn't 100% set their own tone. He kind of sets up a vague system and turns 'em loose ... same as he did in the early Canes days. This idea that he's some sort of master tactician is utterly without evidence. When he's got goons (Florida, 90s Canes), they goon it up. When he's got guys who can't check (Jets, 90% of the time), they play fire-wagon hockey. When he's got Ron Francis, Glen Wesley and Rod Brind'Amour, they play a cerebral chess match. If he's got any real gifts as a coach, it's mostly down to getting out of the way and letting his veterans and influential players do their thing ... whatever that thing may be.

I watched only a few minutes of the game last night and one of those minutes was where Mark Staal called for a trip and cried, whined, and swore in the penalty box. They showed the replay, and yes Mark Stone swatted Staal's stick out of the hands, but it was missed and the trip wasn't. Man, that hit of schadenfreude that got released into my system felt gooooooooood; like heroin to a junkie that couldn't score for too long.

Respectfully, not buying that for a minute. Vegas has largely been unimpressed with their antics, and after 4 games the Panthers know it as well as anyone. They're just children throwing a tantrum at this point.
That was going from my own experience. Actually we had numerous bench clearing brawls during the course of the game. Losing at the end brought out the worst in us or them.

That was going from my own experience. Actually we had numerous bench clearing brawls during the course of the game. Losing at the end brought out the worst in us or them.
Yeah, I get that. But I was involved in a couple of brawls back in the day too (basketball variety) ... and at their root they were all about childish anger and intimidated exactly no one. Same deal here

Multiple reports that the group led by Michael Andlauer won the bidding for the Senators. He’s a member of the Board of Governors and will have to sell his 10% stake in the Canadiens to take ownership. Bruce Garrioch reports that the bid is believed to be close to $1 billion. Eugene Melnyk’s daughters, who have operated the franchise since his death, will retain 10% ownership.

edit: the selling price is said t9 be $950 million US.

Last edited:
Not sure why exactly the sale process turned into a circus, but that's probably the best outcome for the fans. Andlauer is a stable adult with experience in hockey as a minority shareholder in Montreal and as the owner of the Hamilton Bulldogs. There seemed to be some sort of weird tilt towards celebrities and other nonsense, but the outcome is what matters I guess.

BTW ... Game 5 in Vegas tonight. Looks like Florida will either be without Tkachuk or else forced to use him in a very limited capacity. That won't help, and you'd expect the Knights to get this thing wrapped up at home barring something unusual. They've managed to claw themselves into their possession game in all 4 games in the series and other than Game 3, they've kept Florida's atomic, momentum busting spurts to a minimum. IMO people have generally focused on all the wrong things in this series. It's come down to the very basics ... establishment of style, flow, and control. Vegas is getting it done and Florida isn't.

Back