• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

With Bergeron and Krejci both going last season, they often slid one of Coyle or Zacha to wing ... but that ain't gonna work going forward. I don't see any way they shake loose two centers of anything like that quality, although you could obviously see them moving a goalie for a quality forward if they have to. Coyle is a support line, secondary offensive line center at best and they'll likely count on Zacha to hold down the primary checking line. Suddenly what they're missing is the single hardest thing to conjure up out of thin air ... a 1st line center. Everything else is pretty much still there so I would be surprised by a 40 or 50 point drop off, but there's no way they carry on at the kind of pace they managed last year. Heck, they weren't doing that even if they ran back the same crew. The run they got on was sort of a season long, collective out of body experience.
They signed Morgan Geekie too, 2 years at a $2 million AAV, pretty nice since he wasn’t qualified by the Kraken. But he’s no better than a 3C either.

The Habs flipped recently acquired Jeff Petry to Detroit for dman Gustav Lindstrom and a conditional 2025 4th rounder. Montreal will retain 50% of Petry’s salary. Lindstrom has played 128 NHL games over 4 seasons.

Old friend Brandon Sutter has signed a PTO with Edmonton. He last played in 2021, missing all of the last 2 seasons recovering from long COVID.

I'm just glad he feels healthy enough to even bother this season. Poor Brando had it rough the last couple of years.

Jonathan Toews said on his Instagram today that he’s not playing hockey this coming season but he’s not retiring. He’s going to give himself the “time and space to fully heal” and may try to come back in 2024-25 with a different team.

Jonathan Toews said on his Instagram today that he’s not playing hockey this coming season but he’s not retiring. He’s going to give himself the “time and space to fully heal” and may try to come back in 2024-25 with a different team.
Me too. I'm not giving up my hockey dream, but I am waiting to see if I feel 25 again next year.

The IIHF ruled that Flyers goalie prospect Ivan Fedotov has a valid NHL contract, which he violated when he signed a contract with CSKA Moscow. He’s been suspended for 4 months and CSKA was given a 1 year transfer ban.

Fedotov was drafted in 2015 but has never played in North America. He signed a 1 year contract with the Flyers in 2022 but didn’t play, so the contract was tolled to a 2nd year.

The IIHF ruled that Flyers goalie prospect Ivan Fedotov has a valid NHL contract, which he violated when he signed a contract with CSKA Moscow. He’s been suspended for 4 months and CSKA was given a 1 year transfer ban.

Fedotov was drafted in 2015 but has never played in North America. He signed a 1 year contract with the Flyers in 2022 but didn’t play, so the contract was tolled to a 2nd year.

Seeing as how he's a Flyers prospect, maybe the Hurricanes would want to trade Kochetkov for him...& throw in Jarvis just to sweeten the pot? Right?

Sorry, I've got a Flyers Buzz on right now and can't seem to think clearly.

Jim

Last edited:
Seeing as how he's a Flyers prospect, maybe the Hurricanes would want to trade Kochetkov for him...& throw in Jarvis just to sweeten the pot? Right?

Sorry, I've got a Flyers Buzz on right now and can't seem to think clearly.

Jim
They’d still have a Russian goalie, so win/win for them.

Alex Galchenyuk pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of threatening, 5 other charges were dropped. He was sentenced to 30 days in jail with 1 day of time served and 27 days suspended upon successful completion of an alcohol recovery plan and going 12 months without using or possessing alcohol.

Hurricanes legend Jonathan Bernier announced his retirement.
Bernier will go down in franchise history as one of the greatest goalies who had a contract here for a period of time and never played a game for us.

His unknown number will go up into the rafters to live forever with all-time franchise greats such as:

Patrick Marleau
Al Iafrate
Steve Larmer
Jim Dowd
Gary Suter
Kent-Erik Andersson
Ken Linseman

Bernier will go down in franchise history as one of the greatest goalies who had a contract here for a period of time and never played a game for us.

His unknown number will go up into the rafters to live forever with all-time franchise greats such as:

Patrick Marleau
Al Iafrate
Steve Larmer
Jim Dowd
Gary Suter
Kent-Erik Andersson
Ken Linseman
I so remember that trade for Gary Suter back in’94. I was really excited about Suter and Paul Ranheim joining the Whalers. As a Badger and a Whalers fan it was awesome. Then a few hours later 👋 to Suter 🙄. The Whalers really made a lot of dumb moves back then, I guess it was expected.

I so remember that trade for Gary Suter back in’94. I was really excited about Suter and Paul Ranheim joining the Whalers. As a Badger and a Whalers fan it was awesome. Then a few hours later 👋 to Suter 🙄. The Whalers really made a lot of dumb moves back then, I guess it was expected.
Same here. Suter was still a legit 1st pair Dman when the Whalers acquired him, if only for a day.

You could put together a pretty darn good top line and top D pair to go with Bernier in goal off that list.

Marleau-Linseman-Larmer

Suter-Iafrate

Bernier

Plenty of offense there and some sandpaper as well.

The only problem is that most of those guys were broken down by the time they passed through the Whalers/Canes. Marleau was pretty much done. Suter had chronic knee issues. Iafrate was actually in fact done as a player. Bernier ended up barely playing again after being traded to the Canes.

Larmer only played 2 more seasons after passing through the Whalers and retired at 34. Ken Linseman was entering his prime, but was flipped to Edmonton for Risto Siltanen. He of course would go on to have a pretty darn good career with Edmonton and then Boston as a gritty 2 way center.

Last edited:
Back