• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23, 2023-24 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread - Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking that Jacob Kucharski is most likely going to disappear from the competitive hockey scene. At least he was a real person who actually played goalie competitively, unlike Yegor Naumov who appears to have stopped playing hockey after we drafted him.

Nikita Quapp barely plays outside of the German World Juniors team. Hard to tell exactly what he is given that he plays so sparingly in Germany.

Patrik Hamrla was not great for Rimouski this season. His numbers were better than his first season in the QMJHL (until the playoffs), but he was 17th in Sv% in the Q (goalies with minimum 20 games played). That is not good.

Jacob Vondras is still very young and raw. His Sv% in Chechia Juniors sure seemed good this season, but its Chechia juniors. Hopefully he moves to another level of competition next season (CHL or Chechia pros).

They really need Yaniv Perets to come in to the system and hopefully look like some sort of find because none of our other goalie prospects are anywhere near NHL ready and many might never be. Perets should have the #4 spot for the Canes completely locked up already. We know Kochetkov will be either the Canes #1, 2, or 3.

Any news or thoughts on possibility of buying out Nickishin’s remaining KHL contract?
It would have to be a private contract agreement between the Canes and SKA St Petersburg and as far as I'm aware, such a deal would be the first of its kind. So, I'd say it's safe to call that highly unlikely despite whatever anyone says.

It’s also possible we go in a different direction in goal. Could be part of deals made in the process or revamping to forwards - assuming that happens. But my gut is Raanta-PK.

It would have to be a private contract agreement between the Canes and SKA St Petersburg and as far as I'm aware, such a deal would be the first of its kind. So, I'd say it's safe to call that highly unlikely despite whatever anyone says.
So you’re saying there’s a chance!

It’s also possible we go in a different direction in goal. Could be part of deals made in the process or revamping to forwards - assuming that happens. But my gut is Raanta-PK.
The list of UFA goalies is uninspiring. For goalies 30 and under, it’s Brossoit, Korpisalo, Stolarz, Rittich, Jarry and Hill. Maybe take a run at Korpisalo?

The list of UFA goalies is uninspiring. For goalies 30 and under, it’s Brossoit, Korpisalo, Stolarz, Rittich, Jarry and Hill. Maybe take a run at Korpisalo?
I was thinking more that there could be a trade involved with the forward rearrangement. Not so much a free agent goalie as maybe a multi player move.

Canes Prospects tweeted that he’s hearing that Patrik Hamrla has signed with Ilves in Liiga next year. They developed former Canes goalie of the future Eetu Makiniemi and Ducks top goalie prospect Lukas Dostal. Hamrla was an international player when he was drafted, so the Canes hold his rights until June 1, 2025

You'd need a strong No. 3, given Kochetkov's inexperience and Raanta's fragility. It's do-able but tricky.
It’s going to depend on where the Canes AHL affiliate lands. If we end up sharing, the strong No. 3 (Alex Lyon for example) will go there and Perets ends up in Norfolk, or wherever the ECHL affiliation lands. The agreement with Norfolk expired at the end of the season.

It’s going to depend on where the Canes AHL affiliate lands. If we end up sharing, the strong No. 3 (Alex Lyon for example) will go there and Perets ends up in Norfolk, or wherever the ECHL affiliation lands. The agreement with Norfolk expired at the end of the season.
This is all the work of the off season, and there will be a LOT of it to be done. Which is fine. For now ... beat NYI, worry about what comes next, wash, rinse, hopefully repeat.

This is all the work of the off season, and there will be a LOT of it to be done. Which is fine. For now ... beat NYI, worry about what comes next, wash, rinse, hopefully repeat.
Yeah Dandy Don and company will have a very busy summer ahead...but we are very much dancing in the big dance right now so let's go!!!

Canes adjacent prospect news…Skyler Brind’Amour signed a 2 year contract with the Checkers that starts next season. He had been skating with them on a PTO.

Canes adjacent prospect news…Skyler Brind’Amour signed a 2 year contract with the Checkers that starts next season. He had been skating with them on a PTO.
Good for him. That's a full level higher than I thought he'd do for a first contract.

Kid is probably smart to take the money and forget an NHL contract for now. If he plays well enough in the AHL someone might give him a 2 way deal down the road. He has the name and an NCAA championship, but his numbers at Q definitely don't look anything like NHL prospect material.

Per the AHL-PHPA (Professional Hockey Players Association) CBA, the minimum AHL full season salary for 2023-24 is $52,725. The CBA expires August 31, 2024 so I don't know what the minimum will be for 24-25. The AHL minimum went up every season for each of the 5 years of the current CBA (from $50,000 in 19-20 to $52,725 in 23-24).

https://www.phpa.com/site/agreements#Term. That will let you see FAQs for the AHL and ECHL CBAs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back