• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23, 2023-24 Hurricanes Prospects and Minors Thread - Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe not, but if they do link up again, we better lock in some guarantees or big penalties if Chicago goes rogue again or breaks terms. This shit can't happen again...
The didn’t break terms, the contract was 3 years, ending at the end of the 2022-23 season. Now going rogue and griping about which players the parent team wants to play and develop? Yeah, the Wolves can have a big shovelful of STFU. Clearly, their approach this year didn’t work, maybe they’re not the hockey geniuses they assume themselves to be?

There aren’t a lot of options to affiliate with. Waddell told us at a STM event that the team had an agreement in place to buy an AHL club in November but that owner backed out at the last minute. Only 11 of the 32 AHL franchises are independently owned. I can’t find exact expiration dates and the list from 2020 is the best I could find. Note the number of “indefinite” agreements. The Caps just extended with Hershey through the 2029-30 season. Columbus and Cleveland signed a “long term, multi-year“ extension in October. Tampa and Syracuse are affiliated through the 2026-27 season. Philly and Lehigh Valley end after this season with a 1 year option. I can’t find an end date for the Charlotte Checkers or Lehigh Valley. But I can’t see Dundon going back to Charlotte. The closest thing I could find for the Flyers and Phantoms is that the Flyers extended their ECHL agreement with Reading through the end of this season with a 1 year option. Does that run concurrently with Lehigh Valley?

The didn’t break terms, the contract was 3 years, ending at the end of the 2022-23 season. Now going rogue and griping about which players the parent team wants to play and develop? Yeah, the Wolves can have a big shovelful of STFU. Clearly, their approach this year didn’t work, maybe they’re not the hockey geniuses they assume themselves to be?

There aren’t a lot of options to affiliate with. Waddell told us at a STM event that the team had an agreement in place to buy an AHL club in November but that owner backed out at the last minute. Only 11 of the 32 AHL franchises are independently owned. I can’t find exact expiration dates and the list from 2020 is the best I could find. Note the number of “indefinite” agreements. The Caps just extended with Hershey through the 2029-30 season. Columbus and Cleveland signed a “long term, multi-year“ extension in October. Tampa and Syracuse are affiliated through the 2026-27 season. Philly and Lehigh Valley end after this season with a 1 year option. I can’t find an end date for the Charlotte Checkers or Lehigh Valley. But I can’t see Dundon going back to Charlotte. The closest thing I could find for the Flyers and Phantoms is that the Flyers extended their ECHL agreement with Reading through the end of this season with a 1 year option. Does that run concurrently with Lehigh Valley?

tbf, I didn't say they did.. i said go rogue again (which they did), or break terms... :) But I hear ya, especially the STFU we owe the Wolves' ownership/management.

I edited my above also to add that (while it may be uncomfortable) reconciling with the Wolves for mutual benefit is probably the best option we have for AHL affiliation next year; I'm also wondering about if another team with a thinner prospect pool maybe could be talked into a shared affiliation like we had with Calgary 20 years ago. Neither are optimal, but this year's prospect setup was a hot mess.

tbf, I didn't say they did.. i said go rogue again (which they did), or break terms... :) But I hear ya, especially the STFU we owe the Wolves' ownership/management.

I edited my above also to add that (while it may be uncomfortable) reconciling with the Wolves for mutual benefit is probably the best option we have for AHL affiliation next year; I'm also wondering about if another team with a thinner prospect pool maybe could be talked into a shared affiliation like we had with Calgary 20 years ago. Neither are optimal, but this year's prospect setup was a hot mess.
That would probably turn into a hot mess too. Although the shared affiliation is probably responsible for the Canes trading for Mike Commodore. I’m pretty sure that Rutherford had a long term love affair with Chuck Kobasew too. The Flames took him 14th and JR was so stunned that he drafted the immortal Igor Knyazev 15th. Mark Giordano was on that team too. Canes coulda traded for him…

If the Canes go back to Charlotte then it will be because Dundon bought the club. He won't deal with that ownership group again ... without serious contract protections, at least. And probably a gag order.

Last edited:
If the Canes go back to Charlotte then it will be because Dundon bought the club. He won't deal with that ownership group again ... without serious contract protections, at least. And probably a gag order.

I’ve thought for a while that Dundon might buy Charlotte to ‘fix’ the affiliate situation. Not heard the owners are wanting to sell but I’m sure most would pick up the phone if a billionaire called you wanting to buy….especially since you have a little leverage.

The Wolves bridge was burning on both ends; neither side handled it very well. That being said, Meyers is a hardcore hockey guy and wants to win, their fanbase is incredibly loyal and turn out even for these past couple of bad seasons. I can see them making this work if both parties will stop the peeing contest and focus on hockey. Wolves fans would go nuts for the likes of Nadeau, Morrow, Blake, Gleb, etc.

The Wolves bridge was burning on both ends; neither side handled it very well. That being said, Meyers is a hardcore hockey guy and wants to win, their fanbase is incredibly loyal and turn out even for these past couple of bad seasons. I can see them making this work if both parties will stop the peeing contest and focus on hockey. Wolves fans would go nuts for the likes of Nadeau, Morrow, Blake, Gleb, etc.
I think they started repairing the bridge in both ends with the Canes sending players there. I think the Wolves realized early that their plan wasn’t going to work and Waddell realized he needed someplace better than Norfolk. And like I said, he‘s had a 20+ year relationship with them.

I’ve thought for a while that Dundon might buy Charlotte to ‘fix’ the affiliate situation. Not heard the owners are wanting to sell but I’m sure most would pick up the phone if a billionaire called you wanting to buy….especially since you have a little leverage.
The ownership group in Charlotte is so cash poor that it wouldn't be hard to drop a bag of cash on them and make them go away. The question is one of motivation and owning an AHL team just hasn't moved the needle for Dundon yet. Maybe this year gets it on his radar, maybe not.

Thing is ... the one current NHL GM that Meyers still has a working relationship with is Waddell. They've either burned or scared off everybody else. Even with all the rancor last year, Donny was still able to cobble together the ad hoc relationship they have with the Wolves now, which is honestly remarkable given the way things broke there. If Chicago is going to have a proper NHL affiliation in the near term, I think it's basically either Carolina or an expansion/relocation situation.

Yup. I know Wolves fans like to point at the Canes after that idiot reporter did zero due-diligence in his hatchet job, but the reality is that the 2 GMs just need to sit down and finish ironing things out. This year was a bit of a "toe in the water" scenario but shows that they (at least appear) to still be able to work together, they just need to make it happen.

Canes Prospect Stats through 04/08/2024.

Jackson Blake W (4th Round 2021 NCHC U. of North Dakota/NHL Canes):

With North Dakota: 40 Games 22 Goals 38 Assists +13
With NHL Canes: Has not played ***

Michael Emerson F (6th Round 2023 NCHC U of North Dakota Fr./USHL Chicago):

With NCHC UND: 6 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists -1
With USHL Chicago: 27 Games 9 Goals 11 Assists +3 ****

Bryce Montgomery RHD (6th round 2021 ECHL South Carolina):
40 Games 4 Goals 6 Assists +1

Scott Morrow RHD (2nd Round 2021 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst/NHL Canes):

With UMASS-Amherst: 37 Games 6 Goals 24 Assists +3

Bradley Nadeau LW (1st Round 2023 Hockey East U of Maine/NHL Canes):

With Maine: 37 Games 19 Goals 27 Assists +20

Alexander Rykov RW (4th Round 2023 VHL (Russian minors) Chelmet Chelyabinsk/KHL Traktor Chelyabinsk/MHL Belye Medvedi Chelyabinsk):

With VHL Chelyabinsk: 27 Games 8 Goals 17 Assists +5 Did not make the Playoffs
With KHL Chelyabinsk: 29 Games 6 Goals 2 Assists +7 *** PLAYOFFS 2 Games 0 Goals 0 Assists Even ** Chelyabinsk was swept 0-4 in their 3rd round series
With MHL Chelyabinsk: (no regular season games) *** PLAYOFFS 2 Games 1 Goal 1 Assists Even ** Chelyabinsk is down 1-3 in their 3rd round series

Felix Unger Sörum RW (2nd Round 2023 SHL Leksands IF/J20 Nationell Leksands):

With SHL Leksands: 35 Games 3 Goals 12 Assists Even PLAYOFFS 6 Games 1 Goals 2 Assists +1 Leksands lost their first round series 2-4. Unger Sorum's season is over
With J20N Leksands: 1 Game 2 Goals 2 Assists +4

Stanislav Yarovoi LW (4th Round 2023 KHL Vityaz Moscow Region/VHL (Russian Minors) Ryazan-VDV/MHL (Russian Juniors) Russkie Vityazi/NMHL (Russian Minor Juniors Yunison-Moskva ):

With KHL Vityaz: 36 Games 4 Goals 7 Assists -18 Did not make the Playoffs
With VHL Ryazan: 10 Games 2 Goals 3 Assists +4 Did not make the Playoffs
With MHL Vityazi: 11 Games 2 Goals 4 Assists -5 Did not make the Playoffs
With NMHL Moskova: 4 Games 1 Goal 4 Assists Even *** PLAYOFFS 5 Games 4 Goals 3 Assists +1. Not sure what the status is whatever the series is here

Ruslan Khazheyev G (5th Round 2023 MHL (Russian Juniors) Chelyabinsk/VHL Chelyabinsk):

With MHL Chelyabinsk: 16-5-2 2.19 GAA .927 Sv% *** PLAYOFFS 5-5 2.32 GAA .920 Sv% Chelyabinsk is down 1-3 in their 3rd round series
With VHL Chelyabinsk: 1-0-0 1.00 GAA .958 Sv%

Nikita Quapp G (6th round 2021 DEL Berlin/DEL2 Lausitzer Fuchse):
With DEL2 Fuchse 11-14-0 2.63 GAA .920 Sv% *** PLAYOFFS 0-1 5.00 GAA .853 Sv% Fuchse lost their first round series 3-4
With DEL Berlin 1-1-0 3.62 GAA .818 Sv% Berlin is up in their second round series 3-1. I don't expect Quapp will end up playing a game here but we will hold his season open for now just in case.

Jakub Vondras G (6th round 2022 OHL Sudbury): 20-10-3 379 GAA .861 Sv% PLAYOFFS: 2-1 2.73 GAA .906 Sv%. Sudbury won their first round series 4-1

SEASON HAS ENDED

Simon Forsmark LHD (4th Round 2022 SweHL Timra)

Vladimir Grudinin LHD (5th Round 2022 MHL (Russian Juniors) Krasnaya Armiya Moskova/KHL CSKA Moskova/Severstal Cherepovets/VHL (Russian Minors) Zvezda Moskova)

Noel Gunler W (2nd Round 2020 Liiga Karpat/SweHL Malmo)

Nikita Guslistov C (7th round 2021 KHL Severstal Cherepovets/VHL Buran Voronezh)

Alexsi Heimosalmi RHD (2nd Round 2021 Liiga Assat)

Anttoni Honka RHD (3rd round 2019 Liiga JYP)

Charles-Alexis Legault RHD (5th Round 2023 ECAC Quinnipiac U So.)

Lucas Mercuri C (6th round 2020 Hockey East UMASS-Amherst Jr.)

Timur Mukhanov LW (6th Round 2023 KHL Severstal Cherepovets/MHL (Russian Juniors) Almaz Cherepovets)

Alexander Nikishin LHD (3rd round 2020 KHL SKA St. Petersburg)

Zion Nybeck LW (4th round 2020 Swe-1 AIK)

Joel Nystrom RHD (7th round 2021 SweHL Farjestad)

Alexander Pashin RW (7th round 2020 KHL Spartak Moscova)

Alexander Pelevin LHD (7th round 2022 VHL (Russian Minors) Dizel Penza/Zauralie Kurgan)

Alexander Perevalov LW (3rd Round 2022 MHL (Russian Juniors) Loko Yaroslavl/VHL (Russian Minors) Molot Perm/KHL Sochi)

Jayden Perron RW (3rd Round 2023 NCHC U of North Dakota Fr.)

Tuukka Tieksola RW (4th round 2019 Liiga Lukko)

Gleb Trikozov LW (2nd Round 2022 VHL (Russian Minors) Omeskie Krylia/KHL Avangard Omsk/MHL (Russian Juniors) Omskie Yastreby)

Felix Unger Sörum RW (2nd Round 2023 SHL Leksands IF/J20 Nationell Leksands)

Patrik Hamrla G (3rd Round 2021 Liiga Ilves/Mestis KOOVIE)
Jacob Kucharski G (7th round 2018 ECHL Reading)
Yegor Naumov G (7th round 2021 NMHL (Russian Minor Juniors?) Arktika Murmansk)
Yegor Velmakin G (7th Round 2023 KHL Dinamo Minsk/Belerus Dinamo Molodechno)

Last edited:
Canes Signed AHL/ECHL prospects players through 04/8/2024

Callahan Burke F (AHL Colorado/NHL Canes):

With AHL Colorado: 51 Games 14 Goals 17 Assists +3 ***
With Canes: 1 Game 0 Goals 0 Assist Even

Dylan Coghlan RHD (AHL Springfield/NHL Canes):

With AHL Springfield: 56 Games 16 Goals 24 Assists -5 ***
With Canes: Has not played yet

Maxime Comtois (AHL Chicago): 59 Games 17 Goals 23 Assists -20

Dominick Fensore LHD (ECHL Norfolk/AHL Chicago):

With ECHL Norfolk: 9 Games 2 Goals 8 Assists +7
With AHL Chicago: 34 Games 2 Goals 12 Assists -9 ***

Griffin Mendel LHD (ECHL Norfolk/AHL Chicago):

With ECHL Norfolk: 8 Games 3 Goals 3 Assists +3
With AHL Chicago: 40 Games 2 Goals 6 Assists -6 ***

Blake Murray C (ECHL Norfolk/Florida/Allen):

With Norfolk: 2 Games 1 Goal 0 Assists Even
With Florida: 10 Games 1 Goal 4 Assists +6
With Allen: 46 Games 17 Goals 27 Assists +3 ***

Justin Robidas C (ECHL Norfolk):
32 Games 12 Goals 15 Assists +2

Ronan Seeley LHD (ECHL Norfolk/AHL Chicago):

With ECHL Nofolk: 11 Games 0 Goals 3 Assists +1
With AHL Chicago: 52 Games 1 Goal 10 Assists -30 ***

Ty Smith LHD (AHL Wilkes-Barre):
63 Games 9 Goals 34 Assists -12

Ryan Suzuki C (AHL Springfield): 46 Games 13 Goals 14 Assists -7

Pyotr Kochetkov (AHL Syracuse/NHL Canes):

With AHL Syracuse: 3-0-0 1.63 GAA .932 Sv%
With AHL Chicago: Did not play
With NHL Canes: 21-13-4 2.37 GAA .910 Sv% ***

Yanev Perets (ECHL Norfolk/NHL Canes):

With ECHL Norfolk: 18-11-4 2.99 GAA .889 Sv% ***
With NHL Canes: 0-0-0 0.00 GAA 1.000 Sv%

Antti Raanta (NHL Canes/AHL Chicago):

With NHL Canes: 12-7-2 2.99 GAA .872 Sv%
With AHL Chicago: 1-1-4 3.71 GAA .865 Sv% ***

Ruslan Khazheyev‘s season is over, they were eliminated. According to Canes Prospects, his contract has expired but he’s probably staying in Russia.

Given how much praise Felix Unger Sorum got while at pre-season camp, I'm wondering if he will be asked to come back to join the Canes for this playoff run. Not to play of course, but to just participate in practices and the overall experience.

Given how much praise Felix Unger Sorum got while at pre-season camp, I'm wondering if he will be asked to come back to join the Canes for this playoff run. Not to play of course, but to just participate in practices and the overall experience.
Maybe, but I understand he's in camp for a Sweden junior team tournament with a chance to make the Senior Worlds roster if he plays well. Carolina will probably let that play out rather than reeling him in just for practice exposure.

We might as well make Tieksola a qualifying offer just in case he unexpectedly becomes a Liiga superstar next season. But if the Canes choose not to bother I'm not going to worry about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back