• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

That is more than enough room to get both a goal scoring forward AND solid Dman. The question of course is if we can find trades that we think are worth the assets going back the other way.
Yup ... I I really think that 90% of the names being floated as possibilities are nothing of the sort. Meier is really the only one I see being a legit option and then only if they can figure out the structure for an extension ... one that doesn't involve having to match his ridiculous qualifying offer. Other that that up front ... yawn.

Corey Pronman at The Athletic has a list of prospects that could be moved at the trade deadline. Number 1 on the list is Alexander Nikishin. He thinks every team will at least ask but it would be a terrible idea for the Canes to trade him. Keep in mind that he’s under contract in the KHL until April 2025 but he won’t turn 24 until just before the 2025-26 season starts. Other Canes assets are the 2023 1st round pick at 11, Scott Morrow at 12 and Pyotr Kochetkov at 15, who he says won’t be moved. But like Nikishin, teams are going to ask, right? He also has Blake, Drury, Gunler, Suzuki and the Canes 2023 2nd rounder in “other assets of interest”.

Unless they’ve gotten some indication from Nikishin’s team that he‘s never coming to North America, I don’t think he gets moved. Morrow either; the Canes defensive prospect pool isn’t great and while he’s an offense-first guy, he’s also a right shot. Honka and Heimosalmi are the only righties under contract. Montgomery and Nystrom are the only other righties in the system. Among the guys on the reserve list, Fensore has to be signed by August 15 and Montgomery by June 1.

Nikishin is a proven quantity as prospects go and that's pretty rare. His value is as good right now as it will ever get and with his worth having been proven at pro level there's little chance it slips. If you get a plus value offer for a guy like that, then you consider replacement difficulty and make your choice. In other words, if you get the right offer you pull the trigger. Easy, peasy.

Morrow is trickier because he's a lot more like 90% of your prospects. He's still in the middle of his development curve so everything is a guess. Will he continue to make strides in his defensive game? Will concentrating on defense so much hurt his more natural offensive instincts? Is his skating going to continue to improve or has he topped out? Ditto for his physical development. So many questions. You could take the view that he's a guy that Carolina spent a 2nd round pick on who now has first round value and thus set that as his sticker price. You could also take the view that this is a right shot, offensive minded D who could potentially run your NHL power play for ten years (after he adjusts to the NHL game). With that upside, I think you probably wait and see. Plus, kind of similar to their run of luck with drafted goalies, it's past time for some of the Canes offensive minded D picks to pay off.

The break is almost over, the Canes return to practice tomorrow at 2 at PNC. By the time they hit the ice on Saturday, the Rangers will have played 3 games since the All-Star game, including a game on Friday night. I thought the goal was to match teams coming off the bye?

This whole setup was strange. The Rangers last game before their break was on Friday January 27th. The Canes last game before their break was Wednesday February 1st, a full 5 days after the Rangers final game.

Each team effectively was guaranteed at least 9 days off around the all star break. The Rangers started their break as early as possible, the Canes started their's as late as possible. That is how we got to this ridiculous point. There is no way the Canes should have been matched with the Rangers on their first post break game. I guess the back to back with travel for the Rangers is an attempt to even that out? Hopefully Seattle wears them down the night before.

Hopefully Seattle doesn't wear out the Rangers by allowing them to score a million goals like they did last night against the Islanders.

Hopefully Seattle doesn't wear out the Rangers by allowing them to score a million goals like they did last night against the Islanders.
i keep wondering when “regression to the mean” finally hits da kracken. It’s coming!

i keep wondering when “regression to the mean” finally hits da kracken. It’s coming!
Yeah, unless they start getting more reliable goaltending that was always going to happen eventually. They PDO-ed their way to the hottest possible record through the first half of the season, but sub-replacement level goaltending is like tooth pain ... it's just not going away on its own. On the upside for a new market, they banked enough points early on that they'll probably still make the playoffs if they can manage slightly better than NHL .500 from here out. It certainly hasn't hurt their post season chances than the Flames, Blues and Preds all decided to suck at the same time.

All present and accounted for at practice. Reports that Raanta is wearing his Stadium Series pads and the boys are wearing their new gloves and pants.

All present and accounted for at practice. Reports that Raanta is wearing his Stadium Series pads and the boys are wearing their new gloves and pants.
Yeah, I assumed the Stadium Series was why Freddie busted out his all red pads before the break.

Still seeing everyone speculate that the Canes are goibg to move Jarvis for a deadline acquisition. This just makes no sense at all. Don't see it happening.

Depends in the return. You wouldn't trade Jarvis and lower level volume for Timo Meier? I would. Meier is already at least 30 Goals a season in the bag and is 6'1 220 lbs. Jarvis I'm worried about getting blown up every game.

Depends in the return. You wouldn't trade Jarvis and lower level volume for Timo Meier? I would. Meier is already at least 30 Goals a season in the bag and is 6'1 220 lbs. Jarvis I'm worried about getting blown up every game.
As a rental or long term solution?

Still seeing everyone speculate that the Canes are goibg to move Jarvis for a deadline acquisition. This just makes no sense at all. Don't see it happening.
Some of that chatter seems to be in the form of some sort of loyalty test on Twitter. Which is ... whatever.

The question seems to boil down to whether or not you'd trade Jarvis in a package to get Meier. And the answer is probably yes ... so long as you can get Meier signed to a reasonable extension. And the answer is absolutely no ... if Meier is a rental. Trading him for any of the other schlubs available right now? Not a chance in hell.

Back