• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Way back when, a couple hundred years ago it seems, I asked the same question.
do you want o go for the cup now or build for a future power house. The over whelming answering was the cup.
and building a long term powerhouse is almost impossible these days; kudos to the bolts for making a good case of it though

and building a long term powerhouse is almost impossible these days; kudos to the bolts for making a good case of it though
It’s harder to do when you mortgage the future. If you keep building your prospect pool it’s not impossible by any stretch.

It’s harder to do when you mortgage the future. If you keep building your prospect pool it’s not impossible by any stretch.
You don’t want to be the greatest regular season team in history…Ray Ferraro was on 99.9 tonight and had a great interview, he said just like last year vs the Rangers, when push comes to shove when the playoffs get harder and tougher, the Canes could use another forward that can score some big goals when it really matters…maybe Pacioretty was that guy but life comes at you fast.

Last edited:
A couple of things in LeBrun’s story this morning. He says that if Meier goes to the Devils, an extension will almost certainly be required, but the Canes aren’t necessarily concerned with that, they’re more “open-minded” about not having an extension immediately. He also says that the Canes have told everyone that Nikishin is not available. He also says to keep an eye on Nashville. They‘re 5 points behind Minnesota for the last wild card spot with 2 games in hand. But if they fall farther behind, they’re going to start dealing. He specifically mentioned Ekholm, Duchene, Johansen, Granlund and Neiderreiter, all of whom have term left. But they’re not cheap; at $4 million, Nino has the lowest cap hit. Johansen and Duchene are both at $8 million, Granlund is at $5 million and Ekholm is at $6.25 million,

A couple of things in LeBrun’s story this morning. He says that if Meier goes to the Devils, an extension will almost certainly be required, but the Canes aren’t necessarily concerned with that, they’re more “open-minded” about not having an extension immediately. He also says that the Canes have told everyone that Nikishin is not available. He also says to keep an eye on Nashville. They‘re 5 points behind Minnesota for the last wild card spot with 2 games in hand. But if they fall farther behind, they’re going to start dealing. He specifically mentioned Ekholm, Duchene, Johansen, Granlund and Neiderreiter, all of whom have term left. But they’re not cheap; at $4 million, Nino has the lowest cap hit. Johansen and Duchene are both at $8 million, Granlund is at $5 million and Ekholm is at $6.25 million,
I cannot imagine bringing any of those Nashville forwards in here ... other than Nino, and that's only a stretch because it would be so freaking weird. Johansen and Duschene are obscenely over-paid guys who have to be whipped into giving a crap most of the time. Hardest of passes. Granlund is better value and plays like he cares, but doesn't really push the needle here. He's a 2-way support winger with more wiggle than production. He's fine, but are the Canes significantly better with him in the top 9? Not really. Ekholm would be a good fit if Nashville retains salary. You can't have a 3rd pairing guy making $6+ mil, and that's what he'd be here.

Last edited:
I'd still bet dollars to donuts that Jarvis isn't part of ANY deal Waddell swings. That's nonsense.
I agree ... I don't see him being on the table other than in the biggest of moves. I could be wrong, of course but they freaking love that kid.

Last edited:
If Nikishin is really off the table, then Scott Morrow would be our prize prospect chip. If the Canes are really going after Meier I would think the Devils have the advantage if we are not willing to trade Nikishin. We of course have no idea what teams are really offering for Meier or what San Jose is really looking for.

I suppose the Canes could go with something like Morrow, our 1st overall and the Flyers 2nd next season and....Suzuki? for Meier. I dunno, this will be interesting.

My preference is to keep Nikishin even with the wait/risk he might never come over, so I'm hoping the Canes really mean that.

If Nikishin is really off the table, then Scott Morrow would be our prize prospect chip. If the Canes are really going after Meier I would think the Devils have the advantage if we are not willing to trade Nikishin. We of course have no idea what teams are really offering for Meier or what San Jose is really looking for.

I suppose the Canes could go with something like Morrow, our 1st overall and the Flyers 2nd next season and....Suzuki? for Meier. I dunno, this will be interesting.

My preference is to keep Nikishin even with the wait/risk he might never come over, so I'm hoping the Canes really mean that.
San Jose needs system depth across the board, and I would think Morrow would be of great interest to them. The issue would be how many picks and B level prospects they'd be willing to bundle together to make the value work. Plus, if Carolina really is confident enough to not demand negotiations with Meier first, that will be a plus for the Sharks ... WAY less complicated for them. Morrow, a 1st and a 2nd would be a substantial starting place, I'd think. They might prefer to include Drury (maybe in lieu of the 2nd rounder?), since he's NHL-ready ... and they need that.

Seems like Drury is more valuable than a second rounder given that he can play at the NHL level. That’s not a given for a second round pick.
I know everyone is talking it up but I think the deal for him isn’t going to be the max the devils can offer. I think we could offer more than it will take to get him but I hope we don’t overpay.

Also This being a deep draft a low first round pick is more valuable than normal.

How about TT and Suzuki for Meier. Directly addresses our structure challenges and maintains our future. You gotta find a way to get bigger in the top 6. Doesn’t he likely push TT down anyway?

Reactions: JFG
I'm all in for going for it. All those prospects they have been collecting needs to be used on something valuable in years when you got a shot at the cup. Other years the team should be tanking.

Seems like Drury is more valuable than a second rounder given that he can play at the NHL level. That’s not a given for a second round pick.
I know everyone is talking it up but I think the deal for him isn’t going to be the max the devils can offer. I think we could offer more than it will take to get him but I hope we don’t overpay.

Also This being a deep draft a low first round pick is more valuable than normal.

How about TT and Suzuki for Meier. Directly addresses our structure challenges and maintains our future. You gotta find a way to get bigger in the top 6. Doesn’t he likely push TT down anyway?
Probably Jarvis would be the one to slot down ... but either way he'd give Brind'Amour options like Pacioretty did during what turned out to be his cameo. Don't get caught over-rating guys you know. Drury is a bottom 6 player with not much hidden upside at his age. He's fine, but he ain't no first round equivalent. The good news? San Jose needs bottom six players who can actually play.

As for Suzuki, I think the Canes may manage to dump him on somebody but he won't feature in a deal. He's very limited and nobody trusts that he can play a full season, nor should they.

Everyone is available if the price is right. If Wayne Gretzky can be traded, then Alexander freakin Nikishin certainly can be.
Honestly, this goes without saying. The more complete thought would be that Nikishin isn't available for any of the guys on the market unless you blow Donny away with something. Truthfully, if The Athletic hadn't dangled the idea that he's some kind of big trade chip then nobody would be talking about him right now anyway. Dude is 2 years off regardless which team has his rights.

From the FWIW department…

One of my best friends who knows Kevyn Adams very well just told me that Kevyn said we’re getting Timo.

I don’t know what we’re trading to get him…and I told my friend I won’t get excited until I know the terms of the deal and whether we’re extending him.

Back