• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

This may go in an NHL Misc. thread, but an article today in The Athletic talks about how the Flyers' acquisition of Tony DeAngelo resulted in what should have been expected - a defensive liability: O’Connor: Why Flyers’ evaluation of Tony DeAngelo’s defensive game is proving to be another costly mistake - The Athletic

It seems the Flyers forgot how sheltered TDA was when he was playing with Jaccob Slavin, who masked his considerable defensive lapses. The article is actually a testament to the good decision-making by the Canes organization.

He's an RFA still after this season so he is already not a rental.
Yeah but his QO is $10 million. So if the Sharks don’t let teams negotiate with him before a trade, he’s a rental, unless you’re advocating signing him to that.

My greatest concern is Meier heading to the Devils and another Metro team loading up. It’s certainly far from a lock for the Canes to win the division and if the Devils were to leap frog the Canes you get the Rags in round one…not an ideal situation. If it cost ya Jarvis and a early round pick and a prospect for an extended Meier I am doing that deal all day long because this team’s window is this season and maybe one or two more after that and Meier instantly makes this team that much deadlier to play against.

That qualifying number isn't a required floor for an RFA's next AAV. Nothing says the Canes don't sign Meier for 6x8 or 5x9 or whatever lower AAV on a longer term deal they agree on. Exactly how it worked with KK.

That qualifying number isn't a required floor for an RFA's next AAV. Nothing says the Canes don't sign Meier for 6x8 or 5x9 or whatever lower AAV on a longer term deal they agree on. Exactly how it worked with KK.
Correct, but it's going to be a much more compact timeline with Meier even if San Jose eventually wises up and lets teams talk with his agent. It's not that it won't be a rental so much as it could effectively be a rental. Nobody's giving that guy a $10 million qualifier ... not even in this dumb league ... so you'd have to willing to let him walk and hoo boy you'd get crucified in the press if you gave up a Brinks truck of assets and then did that.

Practice at 11 at PNC, then media availability. For those who missed it, Andersen didn’t practice yesterday but RBA said no cause for concern.

In place of practicing, was Freddie made to go sit in the corner and think about what he had done?

It's my understanding that with Freddie's most recent injury, the team will be limiting his workload carefully. That will probably mean less time on the ice in general. It's certainly smart and/or prudent, but it's going to keep rumors about Andersen's healthy bubbling just below the surface whether they're true or not.

The Athletic has a new article today called "NHL trade deadline perfect fits'

As you might guess, they muse that Timo Meier is as perfect fit for the Canes. Their trade proposal is Meier and 4th for Alexander Nikishin, Ryan Suzuki and our 2023 first-round pick.

They also have Meier (50% retained) as the perfect fit for the Devils at a cost of RW Alexander Holtz (7th overall in 2020, tore up AHL last season, hasn't done much at NHL level this season in limited time), the Devils 2023 first round pick, a 2024 4th round pick, RD Seamus Casey (undersize D, 2nd round 2022 currently at Michigan), and Andreas Johnsson.

Basically the bottom line is that no one else can match the Canes or Devils in terms of draft capital/prospects if either team decides to go all in for Meier. I agree with that. I would be nervous to trade Nikishin, however, Meier would be a great addition for this season and down the road. He's the space eater that Aho is missing and maybe the PP scorer we really need.

FWIW ... Lavalette has a piece on The Athletic about other guys with term that may make sense for the Canes at the deadline. Paywall, etc ... but the bottom line is he suggests Konecny from Philly (agreed), Greenway from Minnesota (meh) and Crouse from Arizona (also maybe, but nah). Bottom line, there's a LOT of guys not named Timo Meier who could help this club at the deadline, which is a thing I keep saying even though I get the strong sense that nobody is listening to me. I'm not saying those three guys are perfect (although I like the fit with Konecny a lot and his contract is fair), but I fear we've gotten very focused on one player and that's just not reasonable.

One thing I'm fairly sure of ... I do NOT see this Canes management team trading a first rounder plus a solid prospect for a rental. Or just a first rounder for a rental for that matter. Meier would not be a pure rental, but he sure as heck could turn out to be one if you end up having to walk away or move him for picks.

I think the only way you trade Nikishin is if you know he’s never going to be a Hurricane.
I mean, if you get adequate value back then it doesn't matter if he ever signs with Carolina or not. He's not some unicorn player ... he's a pretty sure shot NHL defender who's offense may or may not translate to a better league. He's got low to mid first round value. So long as the math works out, you can certainly move a guy like that.

FWIW ... Lavalette has a piece on The Athletic about other guys with term that may make sense for the Canes at the deadline. Paywall, etc ... but the bottom line is he suggests Konecny from Philly (agreed), Greenway from Minnesota (meh) and Crouse from Arizona (also maybe, but nah). Bottom line, there's a LOT of guys not named Timo Meier who could help this club at the deadline, which is a thing I keep saying even though I get the strong sense that nobody is listening to me. I'm not saying those three guys are perfect (although I like the fit with Konecny a lot and his contract is fair), but I fear we've gotten very focused on one player and that's just not reasonable.
Who’s we? I don’t see us giving up Nikishin, 2023 first or Jarvis for a deadline move. I think we’ll look at less resource expensive options that can improve us.

Meier would be nice but you’d have to overpay to get him. If we could get him for his true value as opposed to the inflated trade deadline value that’s different.

I mean, if you get adequate value back then it doesn't matter if he ever signs with Carolina or not. He's not some unicorn player ... he's a pretty sure shot NHL defender who's offense may or may not translate to a better league. He's got low to mid first round value. So long as the math works out, you can certainly move a guy like that.
He’s bigger, physical, and talented. We’re not loaded with D in the system. He fills a future need. He’d likely be on the roster if he was here now. Is that off base?

Him for Meier? Ok if we can sign Meier longer term.

Him plus 1st rounder plus Suzuki? Too much.

Nikishin three years from now is a long wait for a run-now team. Suzuki has permanent damage in one eye that has affected his game, the first rounder could be 32nd overall. Meier signed to an extension they can stomach for Nikishin, Suzuki and a very late first seems fair…I almost think the Devils package is better.

Way back when, a couple hundred years ago it seems, I asked the same question.
do you want o go for the cup now or build for a future power house. The over whelming answering was the cup.

Back