• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

In case anyone is wondering ... the Canes now sit 2 points up on New Jersey in the Metro with 2 games in hand. The Devils have dropped 4 out of their last 5 games, but picked up two loser points in the process ... which effectively wipes out one of the losses. They are off until Friday, so Thursday's Canes/Rangers game burns one of Carolina's games in hand. Carolina has cleared the road portion of their gauntlet stretch, with 4 homes games in a row coming up against 4 Eastern playoff locks.

Wildcard standings in the East have gotten pretty well segmented now that Pittsburgh has skidded into an effective dead heat with Florida for the 8th spot. The Isles are looking pretty good in 7th, so other than the final spot it's all pretty much a matter of sorting out the seeds and the Metro title. Toronto, Tampa and the Rangers aren't going anywhere, but they aren't going to move up either. Boston has clinched and are absolutely jetting away with the Atlantic so that Metro race is the most entertaining thing happening in the East.

Out West everything is still a jumble although Calgary keeps refusing to join the chase, which means the 8 likely playoff teams are playing for position. Both divisions are wide open and 7 of the 8 current qualifiers are playing very, very solid hockey. The only straggler is Winnipeg, but again ... Calgary seems disinterested in actually making the post season, so the Jets can likely muddle in even if they never get going again.

The Central has turned into a helluva dog fight. Stars, Wild and Avs separated by 2 points but the Avs have 2 games in hand on both.

Seattle looks like they’re going to make it, they’re 6 points up on Calgary with 2 games in hand and 7 up on Nashville.

Seattle banked enough in October and November to survive ... but if anybody outside the top 6 had ever bothered to get in gear, I don't think they'd have lasted. The West is once again VERY weird. There are only 6 properly good teams in the West and nobody outside that group seems all that upset about it.

Was trading emails with my father about the Hurricanes and he posed an interesting question I couldn't answer (shocking, right?). I didn't even know where to go to research it. Anyway, I'm going to toss it in here to see if anybody might know.

How many one goal games have the Hurricanes lost where they didn't score a powerplay goal?

Jim

Was trading emails with my father about the Hurricanes and he posed an interesting question I couldn't answer (shocking, right?). I didn't even know where to go to research it. Anyway, I'm going to toss it in here to see if anybody might know.

How many one goal games have the Hurricanes lost where they didn't score a powerplay goal?

Jim
I mean, you could go through the box scores game to game and figure it out. I'm not gonna, but I feel like whoever asks that question is responsible for the legwork on that kind of thing.

Jim

Ask Cory Lavalette and ye shall receive:

Umm ... lazy, but instructive. Not about asking Cory random crap, but rather because I suspect that question was asked with the expectation that the number would be much higher. Remember kids, when something super frustrating just happened and you seem to recall that it's happened before, that does NOT mean that it happens all the time.

I mean, you could go through the box scores game to game and figure it out. I'm not gonna, but I feel like whoever asks that question is responsible for the legwork on that kind of thing.
My father is visually impaired (legally blind) and has to use huge font to see anything on a screen...He's also 86 years old and not the greatest web surfer, so I try to help him when I can. I had work today and I couldn't do research on anything but my job. I really appreciate the assistance to answer his question. I figured someone here would know.

We both agreed that it seems like the Hurricanes missed out on more PP opportunities in one goal games than that.

Jim

We both agreed that it seems like the Hurricanes missed out on more PP opportunities in one goal games than that.
Psych 101 stuff right there. When frustrated we tend to assign the specific point of frustration to something endemic or ongoing even if it only happens infrequently. That's why there are several hundred "slowest traffic lights in town" in EVERY city.

Thanks for posting this. Skip was the person that saved my job when I got in trouble for posting something on the old board (fanhome i think). He’s top notch and has so many unbelievable stories. Most can’t be repeated 🤣
I’m shocked that locker room stories can’t be repeated.

i didn’t get in trouble for posting a locker room story per se, I posted that Barrasso made the Olympic team 10 hours before it was released to the public. Whoopsie 😂
Yeah ... I got an email from somebody in the communications office about that one. I had just taken over as board admin, IIRC ... and told the guy I wasn't in charge of what people post or when. I'm not even sure I saw the post before I got that email.

Yeah ... I got an email from somebody in the communications office about that one. I had just taken over as board admin, IIRC ... and told the guy I wasn't in charge of what people post or when. I'm not even sure I saw the post before I got that email.
Woulda thought USA Hockey would have been in touch, too.

Yea, I showed up at 2 to get the visiting locker room set up for the game that night and Wally calls me over. We sit down on the canes bench and he has a printout about 20 pages long of all the posts. That was when I learned that these teams have a staff dedicated to reading news and fan sites. 🤣 Needless to say I stopped posting for a long time

Back