• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Yea, I showed up at 2 to get the visiting locker room set up for the game that night and Wally calls me over. We sit down on the canes bench and he has a printout about 20 pages long of all the posts. That was when I learned that these teams have a staff dedicated to reading news and fan sites. 🤣 Needless to say I stopped posting for a long time
I knew the Canes had a guy monitoring the boards a long time before that, but only because one of them made the mistake of going beyond lurking and actually posted something. I never called him out but it was bloody obvious. Obviously, there's no reason for them to do that stuff anymore, but when I actually talked to them about it later on, I do think they meant well ... for the most part. They wanted to get honest feedback on what the fan community was saying and back then the boards were a pretty healthy way to get unfiltered opinion from a heavily engaged sector of the fan base. Now it's a lot more about social media engagement. They weren't doing it to narc on employees ... that was just a secondary "benefit" ... lol.

If you’re enrolled in the Pay As We Play playoff ticket payment plan, and you haven’t checked your email, your card will be charged for 2 games tomorrow.

If you’re enrolled in the Pay As We Play playoff ticket payment plan, and you haven’t checked your email, your card will be charged for 2 games tomorrow.
Yeah. Got that joyous little email today. I still haven't seen anything about the supposed early April select a seat event though.

Yeah. Got that joyous little email today. I still haven't seen anything about the supposed early April select a seat event though.
My rep had previously said around April 1. He told me yesterday that it would be the week of April 11, but they hadn’t decided if it would be timed sessions online or the reps would call individually.

My rep had previously said around April 1. He told me yesterday that it would be the week of April 11, but they hadn’t decided if it would be timed sessions online or the reps would call individually.
The 22-game plan STMs have through the Friday to opt in. (For the full STMs, it was last Friday.) My rep told me today once that’s done, they will see where they are with inventory for things like select-a-seat, extra strips for STMs, etc.

Yea, I showed up at 2 to get the visiting locker room set up for the game that night and Wally calls me over. We sit down on the canes bench and he has a printout about 20 pages long of all the posts. That was when I learned that these teams have a staff dedicated to reading news and fan sites. 🤣 Needless to say I stopped posting for a long time

You work/worked for the Canes? That's cool man.

I've always wondered if teams did have anyone reading fan sites. Thanks.

You work/worked for the Canes? That's cool man.

I've always wondered if teams did have anyone reading fan sites. Thanks.
For the record, I doubt that every team had somebody monitoring fan sites, but the Canes sure did. With the fan engagement having shifted so hard to social media, they don't do that kind of thing anymore.

Harman Dayal, who covers the Canucks for The Athletic, has an article on the top 10 most underrated dmen. No, Slavin isn’t on the list, under the logic that he’s been dubbed as underrated for so many years, he’s not underrated anymore. Devon Toews and Adam Pelech also fell into that category. Number 2 on the list was Brett Pesce. We know that he and Skjei usually are matched against the opponents top line, and numbers from PuckIQ bear that out; Pesce was 9th last season in frequency of being matched against elite players.

Given the arc of the season, I was honestly surprised to see Pesce on the list instead of Skjei. That dude is finally having the season that the Rangers expected from him after his rookie year ... 6 freaking years ago. No shade on Pesce, as he's been his usual self and has always been criminally underrated.

Both Skjei and Pesce are going to be interesting contract discussions. Both are will currently be UFAs after next season. Skjei turns 30, Pesce 29. The Canes tend to not be willing to go over their valuations for our own UFAs but how exactly do you replace such a valuable 2nd pair? Pesce is underpaid for what he brings. Skjei you can argue is finally earning his AAV.

Oh and Necas, Aho, Turbo, Martinook, Noesen, Jarvis, Chatfield also reaching RFA Or UFA status at the same time. It's going to get really crazy soon contract wise.

Both Skjei and Pesce are going to be interesting contract discussions. Both are will currently be UFAs after next season. Skjei turns 30, Pesce 29. The Canes tend to not be willing to go over their valuations for our own UFAs but how exactly do you replace such a valuable 2nd pair? Pesce is underpaid for what he brings. Skjei you can argue is finally earning his AAV.

Oh and Necas, Aho, Turbo, Martinook, Noesen, Jarvis, Chatfield also reaching RFA Or UFA status at the same time. It's going to get really crazy soon contract wise.
Yup ... all of which is why the Canes have been wise not to get over-committed to long term deals and hooked into paying over their market evaluations for guys in past off seasons. Imagine going into next summer having to make all those salary decisions and having almost $15 million tied up in Hamilton and Trocheck into their mid to late 30s. Sheesh.

I dread those upcoming contract discussions...a combination of crazy timing of so much coming due and the value of those players vs not wanting to overpay for ageing assets is a slippery slope. In a perfect world you would love to sprinkle in Nikishin and Morrow to compensate for the loss of someone on the back end that is likely to go for more money elsewhere. If I had to list in order of importance on D I would go Slavin first followed by Skjei then Pesce. No slight on Pesce at all, but the extra offense that Skjei provides puts him ahead of Pesce for me. I cannot see the Canes keeping all three of those D men on extra long extensions based on their history.

My prediction is that Pesce will be the odd man out in the defense corps when it comes contract time.

My prediction is that Pesce will be the odd man out in the defense corps when it comes contract time.
Maybe so. I would think he's most likely to have a steeper aging curve, and that has to factor in. That aid, he's a right shot ... and that DOES matter.

Tonight’s Officials:

Referees:
Mitch Dunning #20, Wes McCauley #4

Linesmen:
Ryan Jackson #84, Scott Cherrey #50

We had Dunning on Saturday for the Leafs game. He sucked. Wes is Wes, so we’re gonna get a good show and not much else. Ryan Jackson is a first year linesman working a split NHL/AHL contract, he’s retired ref and current ESPN rules analyst Dave Jackson’s son.

Dunning didn't suck the other night so much as his performance was an abject embarrassment ... or would have been if anyone in the league office gave a crap.

For the record, I doubt that every team had somebody monitoring fan sites, but the Canes sure did. With the fan engagement having shifted so hard to social media, they don't do that kind of thing anymore.

Every team does it. I am still involved with sports at the collegiate level and we have staff members, coaches, AD’s that get free access to our site. We share information with them and they share information with us. They’ll also reach out when we post a critical article they didn’t like. Yow and K were the absolute worst about complaining, but whatever.

Every team does it. I am still involved with sports at the collegiate level and we have staff members, coaches, AD’s that get free access to our site. We share information with them and they share information with us. They’ll also reach out when we post a critical article they didn’t like. Yow and K were the absolute worst about complaining, but whatever.
I was more thinking about this site, honestly. College programs 100% still monitor their idiot boards. God help them too, because ... woof.

Back