• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

If that TDA trade still happens and we trade for Karlsson, suddenly our D would be:

Slavin-Burns
Karlsson-Orlov
TDA-Chatfield

That is not a top defensive D anymore for sure but would be crazy good generating offense. Too much of a shift in approach.
A team that would load up that much on the backend is like a Reverse Maple Leafs outfit!!! 😃

Svech-Aho-Jarvis
Bunting-KK-Necas
Fast-Staal-Martinook

Turbo, Noesen

Slavin-Burns
Orlov-Pesce
Skjei-Chatfield

More work to be done for sure. Still interesting moves involving some major pieces to be done.

Bunting’s most critical flaw is embellishing some things which all NHL officials have already firmly been made aware of and at times refs will look the other way when he takes legit shit that goes uncalled against him.

The Canes signed dman Griffin Mendel to an entry level contract. He played 4 years at the University of Denver and 1 at Quinnipiac in 2021-22. He played 10 games for the Wolves in 21-22 on a ATO, and came to the Canes camp last year on a ATO. He was released from his ATO and signed a AHL contract with the Wolves and played 72 games. He gets $775k in the NHL, $75k in the AHL, wherever that ends up, and a $15k signing bonus.

The Canes signed dman Griffin Mendel to an entry level contract. He played 4 years at the University of Denver and 1 at Quinnipiac in 2021-22. He played 10 games for the Wolves in 21-22 on a ATO, and came to the Canes camp last year on a ATO. He was released from his ATO and signed a AHL contract with the Wolves and played 72 games. He gets $775k in the NHL, $75k in the AHL, wherever that ends up, and a $15k signing bonus.

Depending on what they do with some of the older AHL guys who are out of contract, the Canes needed some depth D under contract actually playing in North America. Everybody else they have signed are 21 or under. Wait ... Honka is 22, but whatever.

Here are all of the Canes 'minor leaguers' with contracts for 23-24. I will break them into 2 groups.

This assumes of course that none of these guys are on the NHL roster:

Europe Bound?
Noel Gunler
Tuukka Tieksola
Ville Koivunen
Anttoni Honka
Aleksi Heimosalmi

AHL/ECHL NA Pros:
Ryan Suzuki
Jamieson Rees
Vasili Ponomarev
Alexander Pashin
Blake Murray
Justin Robidas *** Could go back to Quebec for an overage year
Dom Fensore
Ronan Seeley
Griffin Mendel
Pyotr Kochetkov
Yaniv Perets

Ponomarev is a definite to stay in NA. Pashin MIGHT end up loaned to a Euro team. If we send Pashin back to Russia I would think that would be as part of a contract termination.

That is a lot of guys to find homes for in the AHL/ECHL.

I don't think we are going to sign Kevin Wall before August 15th. I don't know if some other team will take a flier on him or not after the Canes pass.

Last edited:
Yup. And realistically, aside from Kochetkov only Ponomarov, Rees and Suzuki have any real shot at an NHL roster spot. And that's entirely dependent on how they decide to build out the 4th line. If they decide to go a bit heavier as they've discussed, then there's probably not a spot on the big club for any of them. I'd agree that the Euro prospect guys will probably go back there, barring some sort of AHL affiliation of some sort.

Lots of noise on Twitter tonight about Tarasenko and the Canes. But it looks like it started with David Pagnotta, who is pretty much Eklund 2.0.

Hopefully this turns out to be more than just the rumor mill sites confirming this! He would be a very nice add up front!

Adding Tarasenko, to me, gives more legs to the Canes making a substantial trade. Suddenly we would have a surplus of both top 4 D and top 6 wingers. There is only so many spots in the lineup.

Bunting-Aho-Jarvis
Svech-KK-Tarasenko
Teravainen-Necas-Noesen
Fast-Staal-Martinook

Slavin-Burns
Skjei-Pesce
Orlov-Chatfield

TDA

Something would seriously have to give. I assume Tarasenko isn't signing for 1 year at about $2.8 million (which is the cap room the Canes have after the TDA trade).

Canes have the chips to move on a really big trade. We've done some major roster changes in the last 5 years but THIS offseason looks like a whole other level of roster changes.

Last edited:
It has legs. Lots of the cool kids picking up on it. Inside the Rink says it’s done, a 1 year deal.

Apparently Orlov and Tarasenko are best of friends going back to childhood and both are God Parents to each others sons. Another interesting wrinkle to the rumor if this goes down.

Just saw a similar post elsewhere on a (questionable) news site & came here for verification. Pinch me if it's real. WOOOOO! Didn't see that one coming either.

Jim

If the rumors are true, the Ruskies are making a move on the Finns!
Not again...somebody call NATO.

Seriously though, we have gotten pretty Russian rich recently. I'm seeing a scoring capabilities being built up...like no more first line Marty. It will be interesting to see how lines sort out now.

Jim

I assume Tarasenko isn't signing for 1 year at about $2.8 million (which is the cap room the Canes have after the TDA trade).
Prolly not. But maybe he's good with a little less than $5 mil ... and Waddell calls little Danny Briere and tells him things have changed and you're stuck with DeAngelo. Go ahead and give 'em a prospect for futures or something to make up for the hurt feelings.

Back