• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

LOL ... I'm in Orlando next week, but just a drive-by for the Villa/Fulham game. I'm at Disneyland for our company meetings the first week of August though. It's usually a lot more pleasant but Cali is a freaking tandoori oven right now.
So, the food is good?

Brett Pesce is getting married today. Someone was traded TO the Canes on his wedding day, could a current Cane be a former Cane by the reception?

SeaWorld has changed quite a bit if it's been that long since you went. My teenage kids loved the roller coasters there.
The coasters at Sea World rival the ones at Universal. Both are much better parks for straight up roller coasters than anything Disney has.

Yeah, when I went, it was just an aquarium with some killer whales and that was it. Now it’s a whole theme park like everything else in Orlando.
Same. Sea World in 1993 was a much different place. We flew into Orlando and used Disney’s Magical Express to get to our hotel. And we never left the grounds. I could have rented a car and driven to Sea World but my wife never had any interest in leaving the Mouse.

We also haven’t been to Universal since right after Harry Potter-land opened. At Thanksgiving, that place was a nightmare.

With the Magical Express gone, I suppose we’re left with Mears shuttles to get there?

With the Magical Express gone, I suppose we’re left with Mears shuttles to get there?
Yeah ... until last week there were two bus/shuttle options from MCO to Disney property, Mears and Sunshine Express. Mears bought out the other one on the 10th and take a guess which one was consistently cheaper. Honestly, unless they have carseat kids I tell clients to just take a cab or get an Uber/Lyft. It's WAY cheaper and you don't have to book anything in advance.

It’s a slow summer and it’s a bunch of middle aged guys talking DisneyWorld, theme parks and Orlando. I think it’s oddly amusing.

Worst decision we ever made was to take toddlers to Sea World back in the late 90s when most of the park was animal “shows”. Kids wanted no part of sitting still and that was the majority of the park. Parental error (and important learning) for moi!
We took mine when they were kindergarten/pre-school age and they loved the shows. It's a fine line for that kind of stuff.

I went to Disney World with my family in early1973 when I was a young teen. It wasn't anything close to what it is now, apparently. We had fun and I was impressed with Epcot Center. The hall of presidents was interesting & creepy at the same time. I remember wishing that I'd brought my fishing tackle.

Jim

I went to Disney World with my family in early1973 when I was a young teen. It wasn't anything close to what it is now, apparently. We had fun and I was impressed with Epcot Center. The hall of presidents was interesting & creepy at the same time. I remember wishing that I'd brought my fishing tackle.

Jim
I had a similar experience a few years later.
It was a much more enjoyable experience about 8 years later when my g/f and I went right after I graduated.
Which may have lead to the break up just a few weeks after we got back to Raleigh.

Frank the Tank Seravalli reporting today that Canes and TDA are getting close on a one year deal at $1.6 million.
On the plus side, that’s $900k less than he would have cost had the trade gone through. On the negative side, that’s $1.6 million more than he’s worth. Maybe this means a deal for Pesce is close too?
Does that include showing the fuck up in the late season and playoffs?
Rhetorical question? Don’t forget how bad he was in the bubble playoffs for the Rangers. He’s not a clutch player. The only thing he clutches in the playoffs is his…throat.

On the plus side, that’s $900k less than he would have cost had the trade gone through. On the negative side, that’s $1.6 million more than he’s worth. Maybe this means a deal for Pesce is close too?

Rhetorical question? Don’t forget how bad he was in the bubble playoffs for the Rangers. He’s not a clutch player. The only thing he clutches in the playoffs is his…throat.
This may mean that the potential Kalrsson deal is dead more than anything to do with Pesce.

Also, IIRC DeAngelo was pretty good against Boston in the first round in 2021 before barfing all over himself against the Rangers. I'm not sure what exactly we learned, but it's prolly better for all involved that the Canes avoid the Rangers in the playoffs next year.

For all the angst and negative vibes on this pending TDA return to the Canes (which I understand), it must be someone that wants him back and the someone has to be Rod. I cannot see Brindy endorsing this move a second time unless he's ok with it from a player perspective. They must have felt that they needed a right shot D replacement plan in place prior to making any potential Pesce move. As much as I am not a fan of TDA's defensive game in his own end, an aging Karlsson with four long years left on his fat contract just seemed like a crippling idea for this team even with retention from the Sharks, so I hope that ship has almost sailed now.

Has Tarasenko signed with a likely non-Cup winning team for a few hundred grand more per season yet?

Back