• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

With DeAngelo’s return, Cory Lavalette put together a list of the best Hurricanes 2nd acts. This is Hurricanes only, so Ron Francis isn’t on the list, nor is Potsie because the other criteria is that they had to play an NHL game in between tours with the Canes.

10 (tie) - Tim Gleason/Aaron Ward
9 - David Tanabe
8 - Cory Stillman
7 - Jeff Daniels
6 - Glen Wesley
5 - Joe Corvo (he came back twice)
4 - Matt Cullen
3 - Sean Hill
2 - Erik Cole
1 - Justin Williams

Here is the yearly breakdown. The signing bonuses are payable on October 1 except the 3rd year when it is payable on July 15. He has a full NTC through year 7 and a 15 team NTC in year 8

Yr 1 10M Salary & 2M SB
Yr 2 10M & 2M SB
Yr 3 7M & 2M SB
Yr 4 10M & 2M SB
Yr 5 8M & 2M SB
Yr 6 6.6M & 2M SB
Yr 7 5.2M & 2M SB
Yr 8 5.2M & 2M SB

Sept 15, 2026 is when the CBA extension ends, which is why when the year 3 bonus is to be paid matters to Aho.
I assumed all signing bonuses were payable on July 1 for that reason, so I was surprised to see that his coincides with what would usually be the first week or so of the season.

Same here andyt. I don't remember ever hearing dates for signing bonus payouts specified like this. Could be the Canes blazing a new trail on here?

We’d never replace him on the open market- we’d have to draft to get a guy like Aho. Good work!
This also drives home the fact that Dundon and the Canes put true value on the core players that earn and deserve the new contract extensions. The tired narrative that the Canes and their ownership just let guys go to market or are traded because they do not want to sign them and are cheap is so friggin old. As the cap rises in the next few years, Aho should be fair market value or better than average value at that $9.75 price point.

This also drives home the fact that Dundon and the Canes put true value on the core players that earn and deserve the new contract extensions. The tired narrative that the Canes and their ownership just let guys go to market or are traded because they do not want to sign them and are cheap is so friggin old. As the cap rises in the next few years, Aho should be fair market value or better than average value at that $9.75 price point.
How big is the core though? Aho, Svech, Slavin (although we’ll see how his negotiations go next summer), who else? I would have considered Pesce as part of the core but with the way negotiations have gone, it doesn’t look like it. Necas? Have to see next summer, if he has another season like last. Jarvis?

Jarvis maybe - not sure about Necas and obviously Pesce. I think it's as much to do with "who is the alternative" as anything.There is no Ah on the open market for what we paid him; there is no Svech on the market for what we paid him; Slavin will be the same. You can argue Pesce but clearly DW wants his "1 defender, 1 offensive defender" pairings.

How big is the core though? Aho, Svech, Slavin (although we’ll see how his negotiations go next summer), who else? I would have considered Pesce as part of the core but with the way negotiations have gone, it doesn’t look like it. Necas? Have to see next summer, if he has another season like last. Jarvis?
It’s not that they are core it’s that the Canes set a value and term and don’t ignore that for anyone -I think if Aho was sittin on 12m the canes walk.

Pesce has been part of the core but he can command more $$ and term than he’s likely to be able to deliver on. If he wants to chase the max dollars and term then he probably won’t get that here. Not because of cheapness but because we’re better off getting the most value per salary dollar that we can. It’s always a bad move to overpay someone based on the past.

If he can get 6m for 6 years there are better things for the Canes can do with that money/term. Reminds me how the 49ers did things back when Montana was QB. Ronnie Lott was the best safety in the league and they moved on because he was going to get paid like the best safety in the league and they were better off not paying that premium. It’s what allowed them to stay competitive for so long.

Last edited:
Jarvis maybe - not sure about Necas and obviously Pesce. I think it's as much to do with "who is the alternative" as anything.There is no Ah on the open market for what we paid him; there is no Svech on the market for what we paid him; Slavin will be the same. You can argue Pesce but clearly DW wants his "1 defender, 1 offensive defender" pairings.
I don’t think the Pesce situation has anything to do with what they want the pairings to look like. It’s ALL about value for the term.

The Svech contract for me was true value when he is healthy and playing like he can with his future ceiling still out there for him to reach. Aho pound for pound competes and leads by example with his play almost every night, no problem justifying his worth to this team. Slavin will be interesting to see the new number he gets but again, another guy that 99% of the time is going to give you everything he has as a core piece.

Pesce...with all due respect is not a core piece for me, a fine player and a great Hurricane...but let's say coming in at $6.5 to $7m per on a long term deal moving forward...not sure that's a good fit as a core piece when you can go out and grab a guy like Orlov that I beleive will provide more versatility and offense than Pesce.

Necas...another hard one to predict...if he goes off this coming season and puts up a big number he will likely want a Svech contract...not sure how the Canes will handle that one just yet, if he has a rough go of it next season, is he easier to trade away and walk away from long term???

I kind of think the idea of a core player has zero bearing on salary and maybe no meaning at all from season to season. Sure there is a core group that maintains the identity and provides leadership and continuity but it’s a group and an individual can be added or removed. You can’t swap out all of the leadership but you can change pieces.

Anybody on the team can be replaced. There is always a salary or a term that tips s player from being a net positive for the team vs what else you can do with that salary commitment when there is a salary cap.

Back