• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-23 Canes Misc. Thread

Surgery for Svech

Boooooo. May as well get that surgery done ASAP since recovery time will be an issue. Big shame for a guy who was really just learning how to use his ability to turn and apply a burst of speed more regularly.

I had my ACL replaced after a skiing accident. It's at least 6 months until you feel functional, and a year until you're "normal". And that's without a hockey player's expectations. I can still recall trying to regain flexion (the dreaded "flexinator"). And the other down side: it's about a decade until post-operative arthritis sets in for most people.

I had my ACL replaced after a skiing accident. It's at least 6 months until you feel functional, and a year until you're "normal". And that's without a hockey player's expectations. I can still recall trying to regain flexion (the dreaded "flexinator"). And the other down side: it's about a decade until post-operative arthritis sets in for most people.
Yeah, it all depends and you can't discount that professional athletes are freaks of nature to begin with. Their bodies don't respond the way our merely mortal ones do. England's sublime midfielder Beth Mead fully ruptured her ACL in February and they're honestly debating whether or not she can come back for the World Cup in July. She probably won't but still, nobody's even having that conversation about normies like us.

It’s time for Jarvis to step up. He’s had a sub par sophomore season thus far pertaining to scoring. He’s been on the top 6 all season and not putting top 6 numbers up. He seems to be doing everything right, but he’s not scoring. I expected a 55 point season out of him. Time to get hot Jarvey!!

2 more goals from the D last night. That puts the Canes team total goals by Dmen at 44 goals in 66 games. That is a 55 Dmen goals pace for the season and only 7 Dmen goals from tying the franchise all time record of 51.

It’s time for Jarvis to step up. He’s had a sub par sophomore season thus far pertaining to scoring. He’s been on the top 6 all season and not putting top 6 numbers up. He seems to be doing everything right, but he’s not scoring. I expected a 55 point season out of him. Time to get hot Jarvey!!
Shoulda traded him for Meier. ;)

You’re right about his scoring. He has 33 points in 66 games. That’s a worse pace than last year, when he had 40 in 68 games, a pace that brought a 55 point season into view. He’s getting a lot more time on the PP this year too, up from 1:21 last year to 2:04 this year. Of course, the PP sucks so there is that…

Last edited:
You left out the third one ... and Burns is on the fringes of the Norris conversation. That's the nature of the risk/reward play ... sometimes you get the prize, sometimes not. And let's not act like Waddell makes these decisions in a vacuum. At the end of the day if you're frustrated then it's with Dundon, because this whole player acquisition system is more his baby than anyone else's.

And again, for clarity ... yes, it sucks that Patches didn't get a real chance and that Svech got hurt. I would have liked to have added a proper forward at the deadline also. I just don't think we have a big picture problem here. The team structure is sound, has been successful and is sustainable. I'm having a hard time complaining too much about that.
No, I permitted Burns. He’s the one aging vet that has played and yes, is putting up Norris numbers. He wasn’t a risk in my book given how much he takes care of his body and how many full or close to full seasons he’s played.

No, I permitted Burns. He’s the one aging vet that has played and yes, is putting up Norris numbers. He wasn’t a risk in my book given how much he takes care of his body and how many full or close to full seasons he’s played.
LOL ... you said he "played." I'm gonna call that an understatement.

Next two weeks are ... rough. 2 game sets with both the Leafs and the Rangers with a dud of a game in Philly chucked in the middle like some sort of curdled cream filling. Home games with Boston and Tampa round out the run that also feature two back to back sets like it needed a bit more spice. Two days off before they get going, with a 2 day break on Sunday and Monday ... otherwise, just grinding.

Something to keep our eyes on at practice tomorrow…tonight’s Canes Corner at Backyard Bistro has been cancelled. The guest was supposed to be Svech but he was replaced by Martinook. Marty is under the weather. Hopefully, whatever It is doesn't linger and he’s healthy enough to play on Friday.

Something to keep our eyes on at practice tomorrow…tonight’s Canes Corner at Backyard Bistro has been cancelled. The guest was supposed to be Svech but he was replaced by Martinook. Marty is under the weather. Hopefully, whatever It is doesn't linger and he’s healthy enough to play on Friday.
If nothing else, I'd wager that big Marty has an impressive Charley Horse from that knee he took last night.

If any folks in here are looking to sell a pair of their tickets for next Saturday's tilt vs Toronto, drop me a line or a message. Thanks!

Next two weeks are ... rough. 2 game sets with both the Leafs and the Rangers with a dud of a game in Philly chucked in the middle like some sort of curdled cream filling. Home games with Boston and Tampa round out the run that also feature two back to back sets like it needed a bit more spice. Two days off before they get going, with a 2 day break on Sunday and Monday ... otherwise, just grinding.
Seven game series versus playoff-level opponents.

Win 4+ and forget the losses. Good practice.

Seven game series versus playoff-level opponents.

Win 4+ and forget the losses. Good practice.
Yeah, I would think that would be a decent outcome. Given the local dread of the threat of losing the Division lead to the Devils though ... I'm not so sure. They play a decently difficult set of opponents in the next two weeks, but nothing like what Carolina is looking at.

I'm confused here. Sorry. I thought that when a team gets a bunch of new cap space during the season, they can just go get whoever they want that can fill that salary hole. That's what people seemed to be saying in the days leading up to the trade deadline anyway.

Back