• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Pyotr Kochetkov was named Rookie of the Month for February. He was 5-3 with 1.71 GAA and .940 save % with 2 shutouts. Bucci and Mleczko touched on it briefly last night, but it’s time for him to be in the Calder discussion.

Gonna be hard to make enough noise to get past the general clamor surrounding Bedard, but yeah. If Kochetkov has a good enough last 7 weeks he absolutely should be in the conversation for the Calder.

Blows my mind that Pyotr hasn't played enough games to not be considered a rookie anymore. Seems like he's been on the team for the past five years.

Like HOK isn't?

For those not familiar, HOK is about as big boy as they come.
HOK was one of the companies the Centennial Authority previously contracted with for the renovation, but that contract has been terminated.

Future Considerations is still more popular with the fans than Retained Salary. He’s played for every team and keeps fans hoping for a huge breakout seaso

Future Considerations is still more popular with the fans than Retained Salary. He’s played for every team and keeps fans hoping for a huge breakout season.
M. T. Net would like a word....

Like HOK isn't?

For those not familiar, HOK is about as big boy as they come.
Yeah ... both Gensler and HOK are multi-national, multi-discipline design firms that specializes in high profile projects. Gensler's designs tend to be a little more elegant and showy, while HOK tends to go with large scale open spaces. The comments I saw from the Centennial Authority people indicated they were looking for the "wow factor" so Gensler had the edge. Makes sense, seeing as how utilitarian the arena has been in its first two eras. If you're splashing on a facelift, go ahead and make a statement.

HOK was one of the companies the Centennial Authority previously contracted with for the renovation, but that contract has been terminated.
Right. HOK and RATIO. RATIO bought out a well known local firm a few years back. Damned if I can remember who though. Cherry-Huffman maybe.

Right. HOK and RATIO. RATIO bought out a well known local firm a few years back. Damned if I can remember who though. Cherry-Huffman maybe.
It WAS Cherry Huffman. Dan took his buyout and set up that small shop he's got now. One of the few architects I worked with on public stuff that I actually liked. I worked with him from way back in the Hager Smith and Huffman days.

It WAS Cherry Huffman. Dan took his buyout and set up that small shop he's got now. One of the few architects I worked with on public stuff that I actually liked. I worked with him from way back in the Hager Smith and Huffman days.
Back when I was young!

Canes are practicing today. Read into this what you will, but Raanta and Martin are on the ice early. Canes will probably practice again on Wednesday, so we could see Andersen at least as the backup on Thursday. Sure would be nice to get him a game before then though and the AHL really only plays on weekends.

They didn't really bother with minor league tuneups a couple of other times, so I'm not sure the team is sold on their worth. Freddie has been fully participating in practice for a fairly long time now. Maybe a game or two in Chicago would get him sharp, or maybe he just needs to get in their and get started playing full speed.

They didn't really bother with minor league tuneups a couple of other times, so I'm not sure the team is sold on their worth. Freddie has been fully participating in practice for a fairly long time now. Maybe a game or two in Chicago would get him sharp, or maybe he just needs to get in their and get started playing full speed.
Thursday against the Habs is probably the best bet then. After that, it’s at the Devils on Saturday, but the day after a potential dismantling, home for Calgary, in the 2nd game of a back to back, the Rangers and Panthers. So Thursday at home, rest him at the Devils, then Sunday at home to Calgary?

Neither Montreal nor Calgary are particularly imposing on offense. Pick one and get him in there ... presuming he's got the green light physically.

Canes being linked by pundits to Frank Vatrano. I'm not exactly sure what issue Frank Vatrano solves for the Canes? He isn't good in his own zone and he isn't a center. Sticking him in the lineup over....Jesper Fast? That doesn't seem like something you trade a 2nd round pick + prospect to do (I don't care if Vatrano has another year left on his deal).

I don't think the Canes are going to go after someone like Vatrano given the assets required to get him. I do think we go get another #6/7 dman for depth. Anything related to the forward mix will be for just a depth forward OR a much bigger trade that involves someone way better than Frank Vatrano. We are not trading a 2nd round pick and Scott Morrow for Frank Vatrano (or Necas for Vatrano).

Guentzel is a UFA after this season and he’s played a ton with Crosby. 1.) is he one we can sign and 2.) how good are his numbers? Otherwise, he’s just a rental then, eh?

Friedman says the Pens are looking for prospects, not picks for Guentzel. So what are you willing to give up for what would likely be a rental?

View: https://x.com/nhl_watcher/status/1764741903839322388?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Do
not
trade
Nikishin.

If you want to trade Morrow or Nadeau or Koivunen or Ponomarev etc. etc.? By all means. BUT the Canes don't do rentals, so this is a completely moot point on Guentzel. Does ANYONE trust Guentzel is a 40 goal guy without Sid Crosby? I don't trust him one bit.

Also, again, he is not a center which is really where a forward upgrade would be most helpful.

Do
not
trade
Nikishin.

If you want to trade Morrow or Nadeau or Koivunen or Ponomarev etc. etc.? By all means. BUT the Canes don't do rentals, so this is a completely moot point on Guentzel. Does ANYONE trust Guentzel is a 40 goal guy without Sid Crosby? I don't trust him one bit.

Also, again, he is not a center which is really where a forward upgrade would be most helpful.
I mean ... obviously not Nikishin. Or Morrow either, probably, since he's a possible replacement at RD next season while Boom still has another contract year to burn in Russia. Guentzel has also been beat up a lot this season, so I'm not sure you'd be getting his best anyway. Carolina has a bunch of forwards with decent upside though, and the Pens have very few decent wingers in their pipeline. Carolina could pair up Pono with which ever winger they like, maybe even two of them ... see if it sticks. It would definitely be a quantity over quality deal, but Pono is ready to step into an NHL role right now.

But, since they don't really do rentals this is all probably moot

Back