• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Elliotte Friedman said the Canucks asked about Nikishin in the Pettersson talks and were told he wasn’t available. So that should end any speculation regarding his availability in other, lesser trades.
Yeah, if they weren't letting him go for Pettersson you can forget about asking for him for your stupid rental forward.

Freddie coming back is your patented no-cost Canes trade deadline special.
I mean, yes ... but also, are you going to be able to trade for a better goalie? Because the answer to that is almost certainly no unless somebody trades like 4 assets for Markstrom or Saros.

I think the Canes are absolutely doing the right thing by making Nikishin borderline untouchable in a trade. It's a risk...we really don't know for sure if Nikishin will become an NHL regular. We don't know if he will ever come over to North America. We don't know if at any point in time he pulls a Adam Fox and says he will only come over if he can play for the Rangers.

All that said, I think Nikishin is fully worth the risk given the potential upside. The kid has dominated one of the best pro leagues in the world at 21 and 22 and has shown what appears to be all world skill. Big, physical, can really skate, has a great shot, can play at both ends. He would be a high first round pick in redrafts.

Hate that we have to sweat it out with this kid. Meanwhile we just have to wait and wonder about what may or may never be.

I think the Canes are absolutely doing the right thing by making Nikishin borderline untouchable in a trade. It's a risk...we really don't know for sure if Nikishin will become an NHL regular. We don't know if he will ever come over to North America. We don't know if at any point in time he pulls a Adam Fox and says he will only come over if he can play for the Rangers.

All that said, I think Nikishin is fully worth the risk given the potential upside. The kid has dominated one of the best pro leagues in the world at 21 and 22 and has shown what appears to be all world skill. Big, physical, can really skate, has a great shot, can play at both ends. He would be a high first round pick in redrafts.

Hate that we have to sweat it out with this kid. Meanwhile we just have to wait and wonder about what may or may never be.
I’m counting on Svech and Pyotr to close the deal.

I’m counting on Svech and Pyotr to close the deal.
My fear is that SKA St. Petersburg is Putin’s team. So they could throw a boatload of tax free money at Nikishin and he’ll never see North America. But I agree, he’s worth waiting for.

My fear is that SKA St. Petersburg is Putin’s team. So they could throw a boatload of tax free money at Nikishin and he’ll never see North America. But I agree, he’s worth waiting for.
Is Putin long for this world??? Seems like a stressful existence healthwise with a whole bunch of folks wanting your hide on a platter to boot.

Stuff changes over time of course, but it was accepted wisdom out of the Euro scouting community that when Boom signed that deal with SKA, he would be looking to step into a big role with the Canes when it was done ... and that he would want to get paid accordingly. A lot of water over the dam since then, but Carolina has unflinchingly acted like he was gonna show up for camp in 2025. I still think they'll over-value and hang on to Morrow to hedge their bets, though. And money is cool and all, but since the Soviet player embargo was broken, nobody's ever gotten seriously famous playing a whole career in the KHL. The big stage is a big draw.

DOesn't matter what Nikishin wants to get paid, there is a cap on what he will actually get paid on his entry level deal.

I guess they needed the roster spot to paper transact Comtois back to Chicago so they put Raanta on IR to free up that spot. Now that Comtois cleared waivers and was 'sent' to Chicago, they must be planning on waiving Raanta again, so they activated him?

Back