• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 Canes Misc Thread

Frank Seravalli says that the Canes are asking for a 5th round pick for TDA and will retain 50% of his salary.

View: https://x.com/frank_seravalli/status/1764841809287545276?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

This is the Canes doing pretty right by TDA. If no one picks him up it wasn't because the Canes didn't try. A 5th round pick for TDA with 50% retention is better than just claiming him off of waivers for a team that want him. If no one is going to take the Canes up on that then no one really wants anything to do with TDA.

There is your veteran depth forward addition at zero cost.
Yeah. If everything stays as it is, Comtois and Ponomarov would be your playoff extra forwards ... joining Lemieux. Not a bad move. He's never really moved the needle much, but he stuck in the NHL for a couple of years before Anaheim decided to pass on a new deal last year. Decent size and pretty good on the fore check if memory serves.

This is the Canes doing pretty right by TDA. If no one picks him up it wasn't because the Canes didn't try. A 5th round pick for TDA with 50% retention is better than just claiming him off of waivers for a team that want him. If no one is going to take the Canes up on that then no one really wants anything to do with TDA.
More than right, honestly. That's Waddell being freaking Mother Theresa. If nobody takes DeAngelo with THAT gift wrapping, it's pretty obvious he's going to have to move to Europe next season.

More than right, honestly. That's Waddell being freaking Mother Theresa. If nobody takes DeAngelo with THAT gift wrapping, it's pretty obvious he's going to have to move to Europe next season.
More than right, especially since he's a pretty good option at #7 and if we have no other acquisitions by Friday, an injury to the top 6 means Hello Dylan Coghlan again.

Lines at practice today, per Ryan Henkel. He also noted that Andersen is in the starter’s crease, so we’ll see if that means anything when RBA speaks after practice. Raanta is not on the ice. He and Freddie are both on IR, but if the team needs to free up cap space ahead of Friday, that’s a pretty good indication of which goalie will be gone. Waiving him instead of Martin frees up ~$390k more cap space.

Svechnikov-Aho-Teravainen
Bunting-Drury-Necas
Martinook-Staal-Jarvis
Noesen-Kotkaniemi-Fast

PP1: Burns, Aho, Svechnikov, Bunting, Jarvis
PP2: Skjei, Necas, Teravainen, Drury, Noesen

Last edited:
The team still hasn't registered Comtois and has only one open roster spot. Either way, something's gotta give here pretty soon. Nobody on the roster is waiver exempt, I don't think ... so there's no easy outs, even in the short term.

Capfriendy.com has Comtois contract registration as 'pending'. Now that he is under an NHL contract, Comtois has to clear waivers to remain in Chicago.

The Canes put Raanta on IR so that frees up the roster spot for the Freddie activation. I don't expect Comtois to be added to the Canes roster until after the trade deadline is over when there is no more limit on your roster size (other than the cap).

Cool. Didn't see that. They should be able to register him on whatever AHL roster slot the Canes have negotiated, which maintains that one open slot with the big club

One thing I will be watching for....is Comtois with the Canes after the deadline with a vision of having him in the lineup next Tuesday against the Rangers and Matt Rempe? Comtois isn't necessarily a fighter, but he is a pretty solid guy who is willing.

I don't want anyone going out of their way to fight Rempe, but I also don't like not having anyone in the lineup at all who could challenge Rempe if the need arises. Yes we have Brendan Lemieux, but Comtois in theory is a better overall player.

One thing I will be watching for....is Comtois with the Canes after the deadline with a vision of having him in the lineup next Tuesday against the Rangers and Matt Rempe? Comtois isn't necessarily a fighter, but he is a pretty solid guy who is willing.

I don't want anyone going out of their way to fight Rempe, but I also don't like not having anyone in the lineup at all who could challenge Rempe if the need arises. Yes we have Brendan Lemieux, but Comtois in theory is a better overall player.
The Canes have rarely done that in the past, but it might be prudent to have either Comtois or Lemieux (or both) in the lineup for the Jerks game. No need to get Noesen all banged up.

Elliotte Friedman said the Canucks asked about Nikishin in the Pettersson talks and were told he wasn’t available. So that should end any speculation regarding his availability in other, lesser trades.

Cool. Didn't see that. They should be able to register him on whatever AHL roster slot the Canes have negotiated, which maintains that one open slot with the big club
Comtois cleared waivers and remains with Chicago.

Capfriendy.com has Comtois contract registration as 'pending'. Now that he is under an NHL contract, Comtois has to clear waivers to remain in Chicago.

The Canes put Raanta on IR so that frees up the roster spot for the Freddie activation. I don't expect Comtois to be added to the Canes roster until after the trade deadline is over when there is no more limit on your roster size (other than the cap).
Freddie coming back is your patented no-cost Canes trade deadline special.

Back