• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

I was in AP English for three years but I can no longer remember all the parts of speech by name and couldn't diagram a sentence if I had to.
|______________________ Front____________________| |____________Middle___________| |________________Back____________________________|

We’ve got them here also. One side of crabtree creek is where the red shouldered hang out and the other side the red tails call home. Multiple families of each. Coopers are on both sides. Plenty of fish, squirrels, rabbits, voles, etc. for them. I’ve also seen river otters twice but haven’t been able to get a good shot.
The red tails are pretty and quite noticeable but, at least around here, the Coopers are doing most of the murdering. Them and the owls that hunt overnight. Hugo and I find lots of feathered crime scenes on our morning walks.

I've maintained bird feeders and fed the deer at my place for 30 years, so we get droves of birds and wildlife. There's a Red Shouldered Hawk pair that nests on the ridge above the creek behind the house every year. They raise quite a ruckus claiming their turf each Spring. The Coopers Hawks strafe our feeders regularly, they absolutely hammer the mourning dove population. We hear & sometimes see barred owls most days & especially evenings. There's also ~6-12 wild turkeys that come eat what the deer miss, though they relocate during winter months for whatever reason. The males get quite vocal and fight in Spring too. Having them around makes our lives better.

Jim

Mistook this for Grab Bag...oops.

My wife taught elementary school for years and still has her teacher's penmanship. My son is 30 and writes like a 2nd grader. It doesn't take long for this stuff to slip away.
All y'all can hold my beers.
I can only manage my initials any more. Poorly, at that. I've not used cursive since h/s because we architects are supposed to do 'lettering' on our drawings (JB probably saw lots of that early in his former life). So, on the job right out of school, we have a plan typewriter because the boss had become tired of multiple, bad lettering penmanship before I was even hired. Then came computers.
So, about six years ago, I send a pay application to App State. They, or State Construction, sent the damned thing back to me because my signature could not be read.

So, about six years ago, I send a pay application to App State. They, or State Construction, sent the damned thing back to me because my signature could not be read.
Lol. State Construction did the same thing to me one time. Said my signature looked like an elongated asterisk*. My response was to have my Dad sign the replacement application because his signature looks like a series of freaking hieroglyphs. They didn't have the balls to reject that one, presumably because he was chairing the Board of Trustees at State at the time. What a bunch of officious maroons. Happy to throw whatever weight they have around so long as there are no consequences.

*to be fair, it kinda does. A decade of signing payroll and AP checks manually will do that to ya

Oilers announce that Connor McDavid is out 1-2 weeks with an upper body injury. Gonna make the Art Ross battle closer.

The league has released a new stats portal, giving access to player and puck tracking data that has never been publicly available. The jerseys have a tracker in a slot behind their right shoulder, I’ve noticed it under the white jersey. Each puck also has a chip embedded to track location, shot speed, etc.

Aside from introductory videos, I’m not sure the site is working yet.

The league has released a new stats portal, giving access to player and puck tracking data that has never been publicly available. The jerseys have a tracker in a slot behind their right shoulder, I’ve noticed it under the white jersey. Each puck also has a chip embedded to track location, shot speed, etc.

This has been discussed/promised for YEARS.

Maybe they could find a way to use the tracker in the puck to help decide what's over the goal line vs. what's not. I've seen enough glove saves over the line that should have counted to know it's a thing. Same for smothered pucks. Seems to me, if you've got reliable technology to make the game better, why not use it?...This sort of makes sense to me, but common sense doesn't always matter in this game. Plus, how long would it be until somebody hacked the system, where bogus goals were counted?

Jim

Well, I wouldn't worry about hacking for one thing. There's WAY more money on the line in the World Cup in soccer than in any NHL game and their VAR has been in place without technical incident for the last two World Cup and countless Champions League and regular league games since wide adaption in 2018. I Incompetent review officials? Yes? Hackers? Nah.

The Pens put Alex Nedeljkovic on LTIR today. He has an undisclosed lower body injury. He's played 2 games with a 3.01 GAA but a decent .914 Save %

There have been a couple of high profile gambling-related suspensions in European soccer, Italy specifically, the last few days. And now it’s hit the NHL. Senators unsigned forward Shane Pinto is set to be suspended for 41 games for sports betting related activity. Frank Seravalli said the Sens were close to agreeing on a 1 year, $2.2 million contract (with what cap space? They have $42k available, per CapFriendly) until they got wind of the investigation.

41 games for gambling on the NFL but so far 0 games for sexual abusers from Canada.
Way to go NHL, great job as always.

41 games for gambling on the NFL but so far 0 games for sexual abusers from Canada.
Way to go NHL, great job as always.
20 games for Todd Bertuzzi trying to kill Steve Moore. Austin Watson suspended 27 games for domestic violence, reduced to 18 on appeal.

Back