• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

What exactly ARE the rules for NHL players in terms of gambling? All we seem to know here is that the NHL is saying Pinto did NOT bet on NHL games. That is all they are going to say apparently (at least for now).

What exactly can't you do as an NHL player when it comes to sports betting? Are you not allowed to bet on any sport? Did they get some sort of evidence that Pinto talked to someone who afterwards put an unusual bet on a game involving the Sens? Was there some sort of prop bet on whether or not Pinto would sign before X Date and Pinto told someone to take the Over?

Heck Pinto isn't even with the team or under contract. How does a suspension work when he is not even under contract? Can he just not sign until the Sens have played 41 games starting today? Does he need to sit 41 games AFTER he signs a contract? When does that clock actually begin?

--edit--

Elliott Friedman said this on 'X':

Told Pinto’s suspension officially begins with Game 1 of Ottawa’s season, and is not dependent on him signing a contract.
So basically he cannot play any of Ottawa's first 41 games this season, whether he is signed or not.

Hey NHL, seriously, how about a few more answers about what your gambling policies actually are?

Last edited:
What exactly ARE the rules for NHL players in terms of gambling? All we seem to know here is that the NHL is saying Pinto did NOT bet on NHL games. That is all they are going to say apparently (at least for now).

What exactly can't you do as an NHL player when it comes to sports betting? Are you not allowed to bet on any sport? Did they get some sort of evidence that Pinto talked to someone who afterwards put an unusual bet on a game involving the Sens? Was there some sort of prop bet on whether or not Pinto would sign before X Date and Pinto told someone to take the Over?

Heck Pinto isn't even with the team or under contract. How does a suspension work when he is not even under contract? Can he just not sign until the Sens have played 41 games starting today? Does he need to sit 41 games AFTER he signs a contract? When does that clock actually begin?

Hey NHL, seriously, how about a few more answers?
LeBrun says the suspension is retroactive to the Sens first game of the season, Oct 11. So he’ll serve the suspension and sign with the Sens in January.

--edit--

Elliott Friedman said this on 'X':

So basically he cannot play any of Ottawa's first 41 games this season, whether he is signed or not.

Hey NHL, seriously, how about a few more answers about what your gambling policies actually are?

The gambling policy is simple and only contains 7 words. “Gambling on any NHL game is prohibited”

They can gamble on any other sport they so desire

Bruce Garrioch has more details about Pinto’s suspension. Pinto opened an account with a US based company and couldn’t access his account from Canada. So he may have shared his password with a third party, violating the company’s ban on proxy betting. The company flagged unusual activity on the account and notified the league office in the summer. Bettman brought Pinto, his agent and a representative from the NHLPA to the office earlier this month, where Bettman told Pinto he was going to set an example with the suspension. The PA and league negotiated the length of the suspension.

Joe Thornton and Tomas Plekanec both announced their retirement today. Both are going to the Hall of Fame, one as an honored member, the other as a paying customer. You decide which is which.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38770174/nottingham-panthers-johnson-dies-freak-accident

Sad sad news out of England where former Penguins player Adam Johnson has died after taking a skate to the neck in a EIHL game in the UK yesterday. How anyone can even post videos of that sort of stuff online is just the lowest of low.
Some players have started to wear Kevlar-reinforced socks to protect against leg cuts. I wonder if any players will start wearing neck guards? My daughter hated wearing one and she only wore it for about a year since USA Hockey didn’t require it. At one point Hockey Canada did, I don’t know if they still do. When my daughter played in a women’s tournament in Brampton, players from both countries complained about safety equipment, the Americans were required to wear neck guards and the Canadians were required to wear mouth guards, which Hockey Canada didn’t require. About halfway through the first day, the organizers decided that players would be required to only wear what their home federation required. My daughter ditched the neck gaurd and it stayed buried in the bottom of her bag.

Some players have started to wear Kevlar-reinforced socks to protect against leg cuts. I wonder if any players will start wearing neck guards? My daughter hated wearing one and she only wore it for about a year since USA Hockey didn’t require it. At one point Hockey Canada did, I don’t know if they still do. When my daughter played in a women’s tournament in Brampton, players from both countries complained about safety equipment, the Americans were required to wear neck guards and the Canadians were required to wear mouth guards, which Hockey Canada didn’t require. About halfway through the first day, the organizers decided that players would be required to only wear what their home federation required. My daughter ditched the neck gaurd and it stayed buried in the bottom of her bag.
My son wears the neck guard but most of the kids like you said do not like it, as rare as some of these injuries are in hockey it’s really scary to think that the risk of it happening are very real in just about any hockey situation that involves a skate blade coming in contact with a downed player or an exposed part of the body. I had hoped the Clint Malarchuk incident would be the last of the really life or death on ice incidents but then last night was just awful to see.

I wear the tall cut-resistant socks when i play... Not sure if I would do the neck guard but it sure makes you think about it

Joe Thornton and Tomas Plekanec both announced their retirement today. Both are going to the Hall of Fame, one as an honored member, the other as a paying customer. You decide which is which.
Jeez, Andy. Other than play a million years for the Canadiens, what did Plekanec do to earn this opprobrium?

Back