• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

It’s really expensive for us to go… I can only really afford it when they’re gifted and definitely never that close.

Nice showing by the “fans” in Toronto. Auston Matthews had a hattie and it looked like there were fewer hats on the ice than goals on the scoresheet. Are they just that jaded or is it beneath the suits in the lower bowl to toss a hat?
Corporate types tend to not really go with the suit and ballcap look, honestly.

Devin Towes is coming off 2 straight 50 point seasons where he went +91 total.

Pesce can shoot for $7.25 million per, but no one is going to pay him like he is a high end offensive producing 2nd pair guy. Pesce is a $6.5 million per Dman at best, which is what Hampus Lindholm's contract AAV is. Lindholm had much more similar numbers to Pesce prior to the Bruins signing him to an extension. Mackenzie Weegar is also a very similar comparable to Pesce stats wise, he got $6.25 million per recently.

Maybe someone gives Pesce $6.75 million per due to inflation of the salary cap next season. It probably won't be the Canes doing so. Or maybe Pesce and his agent go shopping, find that $6.25 million x7 offer out there a few places, maybe a $6.5 million per, and Pesce decides that 6x $5.75 million to stay 'home' with the Canes and compete for the Cup every year is a better deal for him.

If Brady Skjei scores 18+ goals again this season, what will HIS AAV be next contract? It will be higher than Pesce's.

Last edited:
Pesce's D ratings are higher than Toews', and they end up being real similar in terms of average game score impact. In fact, Pesce's D drives him to have a bit more game score impact, but that tends to count less in terms of compensation so I'd roll it back a bit. Because he doesn't rack up a lot of points, people forget that there's other ways to measure offensive impact. And Pesce does better on that stuff than people think.

Pesce is a tough one for me, part of me wants him to stay and see through a long, successful year here and part of me would like to see him dealt for a nice young player or two. I just don’t see the Canes being the team to give him a 7 year deal at $6.5 or more moving forward.

I just don’t see the Canes being the team to give him a 7 year deal at $6.5 or more moving forward.
Somebody absolutely will do that, but I suspect Carolina would (rightly, IMO) prioritize term risk on Slavin instead of Pesce. Pesce is a really good player ... Slavin is special, and I don't see this team going to a risky mid-30s extension on both of them.

I'd love to keep Pesce (or Skjei) even with Nikishin coming our way in the next year or two, especially since by then we'll have ta better idea about what happens with Orlov or Burns. But Slavin is our #1 priority. Wasn't he one of the players that Dundon mentioned as being a Cane for life?

I can't see the Canes retaining Orlov or Burns (money, age, etc).
That's a problem for the summer of 2025 though. In the short term, I really don't care. Safe enough to figure that Nikishin replaces Burns and then they cast around for another vet to be the secondary PP guy ... unless Morrow or somebody else in house steps up. If Orlov is still at that level, then maybe he sticks around. If not, then not. Burns will officially be Methuselah by 2025.

Habs may have lost Kirby Dach for the season. It’s being reported that he has a torn ACL and MCL in his right knee. He was injured in their game against Chicago when he was checked onto the Blackhawks bench.

Dwind and Allen might as well be dirt.
I'LL TAKE IT YOU MEANT OLDER THAN DIRT Which I have said a few times m'self. At 81 I've had a lot of years, miles and experiences and have a had a wonderful time at it. More than most ever will: raced sports cars (won SCCA SEDIV class championship and every race in 1978), have a commercial pilots license, been a combat Marine; travelled over a lot of the world , lived several places including Japan, SCUBA certified since 1969, still friends with first wife, had a fantastic bachelor time for 15 years until gladly giving that up when Barbara came along. Interesting varied career.

There are many things I can no longer do but I have BEATEN 2 primary cancers and had to ask Dr. Agrawal why he said I was different, "you were diagnosed with stage 4, esophageal cancer metastasized in lungs and liver as well (and another in upper lung lobe). The others at that level do not live near 2-1/2 years and you are doing very well and expect you to live a lot longer. I expect so, too! I have several other issues but none are life threatening but have affected quality of life. In 1948 at 6, I beat polio and started 2nd grade on time. But... spine problems from bone, nerve and muscle problems from post-polio syndrome have me hobbling but with the neuro docs at Duke we'll get around that. My antecedents were all long living folks. I don't want any sympathies from this, it's just to let you know that getting old ain't fer sissies but it's still worth embracing!

The way to win is KEEP HAVING BIRTHDAYS!

LOVE THIS: "I can't do Snapchat or Tik Tok BUT I can write in CURSIVE, do math without a calculator and tell time from a clock with HANDS.

I'LL TAKE IT YOU MEANT OLDER THAN DIRT Which I have said a few times m'self. At 81 I've had a lot of years, miles and experiences and have a had a wonderful time at it. More than most ever will: raced sports cars (won SCCA SEDIV class championship and every race in 1978), have a commercial pilots license, been a combat Marine; travelled over a lot of the world , lived several places including Japan, SCUBA certified since 1969, still friends with first wife, had a fantastic bachelor time for 15 years until gladly giving that up when Barbara came along. Interesting varied career.

There are many things I can no longer do but I have BEATEN 2 primary cancers and had to ask Dr. Agrawal why he said I was different, "you were diagnosed with stage 4, esophageal cancer metastasized in lungs and liver as well (and another in upper lung lobe). The others at that level do not live near 2-1/2 years and you are doing very well and expect you to live a lot longer. I expect so, too! I have several other issues but none are life threatening but have affected quality of life. In 1948 at 6, I beat polio and started 2nd grade on time. But... spine problems from bone, nerve and muscle problems from post-polio syndrome have me hobbling but with the neuro docs at Duke we'll get around that. My antecedents were all long living folks. I don't want any sympathies from this, it's just to let you know that getting old ain't fer sissies but it's still worth embracing!

The way to win is KEEP HAVING BIRTHDAYS!
Wow, Great Those are some accomplishment Allen! My career has been boring, but a lot of fun. Now, I work at golf 6 times a week.

Last edited:
Back