• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Reading all the pundits predictions, might as well hand the Cup to Edmonton and not bother with the season.
Soupy Campbell and Stuey Skinner do not instill Cup winning vibes for me…sort of like Vanecek and Schmid last year for Jersey in goal…a tandem yes but a solid pair you can bank on…no.

After one period, Bedard is a terrific skater, great release, got 20 years to assess the rest of his game.

Auston Matthews scored 4 goals in his NHL debut. Connor Bedard apparently is no Auston Matthews.

Most kids are pretty crappy at faceoffs early on. NHL vets absolutely abuse them at the dot. Bedard went 2-13 last night on faceoffs for a sparkling 15.4%

Auston Matthews rookie season faceoff win% was 46.8%. He has solidly been a + faceoff player ever since.

Connor McDavid's rookie season faceoff win% was 41.2%. He only recently (last 2 seasons) has become a + faceoff player.

Chicago either needs to let Bedard get chewed up at the dot so he learns or needs to consider having someone else out there take some of the faceoff load off of him. Of all the incredible skills we have been told makes Bedard the next great 1st overall pick, I don't recall anyone suggesting he was good at faceoffs. I don't think anyone will really care, at least for a while.

The Devils signed Lindy Ruff to a multi-year contract extension. No terms were released.

The Devils signed Lindy Ruff to a multi-year contract extension. No terms were released.
While I really do think that Tom Fitzgerald has done a terrific job as GM of the Devils, I do NOT understand his fascination with Lindy Ruff.

I think it's safe to assume everyone knows a few of us are just poking fun at the media, and expectations on Connor. He will most likely turn out to be a pretty good player. Annointing these kids as the "next Crosby, McDavid, etc" is just stupid though.

Yes, I know that Kahuna.

Bedard certainly created buzz with his goal scoring skill set in juniors. He is clearly an elite goal scoring talent and hyping him accordingly is something the NHL and those that report on the NHL should be looking to do every chance they get.

The reality is that Bedard is not Connor McDavid. And he is unlikely to be as valuable as Auston Matthews, who is one of the better 2 way players in the NHL in addition to being an elite goal scoring talent. Sidney Crosby is one the more complete players ever. Top 20 all time. That is rarified air comparing anyone to him.

Bedard might not be better than Jack Hughes when all is said and done. Chicago would be elated though I expect if Bedard's career tracks the same way that Jack Hughes has so far, but I expect their expectation is going to be that Bedard is producing a lot more points faster than Hughes did.

Some of you guys take the morons in the media way too seriously. Bedard will be whatever Bedard turns into and the Devils will make the Cup Finals if they win the Eastern Finals. Whatever some schlub at ESPN/TSN/Whatever says about any of that stuff right now is VERY close to irrelevant. Did nobody learn that lesson from Ted Lasso? :0)

I actually liked what I saw from Bedard last night. When the game slows down for him and he bulks up a bit, I can see his slick moves starting to pay dividends

Some of you guys take the morons in the media way too seriously. Bedard will be whatever Bedard turns into and the Devils will make the Cup Finals if they win the Eastern Finals. Whatever some schlub at ESPN/TSN/Whatever says about any of that stuff right now is VERY close to irrelevant. Did nobody learn that lesson from Ted Lasso? :0)

Trent Crimm, The Independent

The Slugs signed dman Owen Power to a 7 year extension at $8.35 million AAV. He gets a &2 million signing bonus and $6.35 million salary in year 1 and $8.35 million salary every year after that.

Nice showing by the “fans” in Toronto. Auston Matthews had a hattie and it looked like there were fewer hats on the ice than goals on the scoresheet. Are they just that jaded or is it beneath the suits in the lower bowl to toss a hat?

Back