• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

No shade on whatever Recchi may actually have to offer as an assistant, but this is 100% a PR hire. In bad need of some positive spin, Columbus hires one of the most respected and popular players of his generation. I bet that decision was mulled over for ... however long it took for somebody to track down Recchi's current number
He’s theoretically going to be in charge of the PP. But the lack of success for the Devils PP was one of the reasons he was fired in 2022. In his last 2 seasons, the Devils were 28th both years on the PP and they allowed a staggering 14 shorties in 2021-22. Their PP improved to 13th last year and they allowed 8 shorties.

Seriously ... that hire was John Davidson scrolling through his contacts looking for "well known NHL good guy who isn't currently employed" and finding Recchi.

Ottawa named Steve Staios as President of Hockey Operations. He was most recently a special advisor to the hockey operations staff in Edmonton but had a long management career mostly in the OHL prior to that. He spent 3 years in the Leafs organization but was named President and GM of the Michael Andlauer-owned Hamilton Bulldogs in 2015, where he remained until joining the Oilers. The Bulldogs won 2 OHL championships and he was OHL GM of the year in 2021-22.

Brandon Sutter, who had been on a PTO with Edmonton, announced his retirement. He played 770 NHL games; surprisingly he played more for the Canes than either Pittsburgh or Vancouver. But long Covid did him in.

Aaron Portzline, who covers the Jackets for The Athletic, tweeted today that he’s in Stage 5 kidney disease. He needs frequent dialysis and is awaiting a transplant.

He’s encouraging people to become a donor, either as a direct/living donor or on your driver’s license. I have the little red heart on my driver’s license and my family is aware of my wishes.

Brandon Sutter, who had been on a PTO with Edmonton, announced his retirement. He played 770 NHL games; surprisingly he played more for the Canes than either Pittsburgh or Vancouver. But long Covid did him in.
Shame that illness cost him the last year or so, but Brando had a really solid career.

Aaron Portzline, who covers the Jackets for The Athletic, tweeted today that he’s in Stage 5 kidney disease. He needs frequent dialysis and is awaiting a transplant.

He’s encouraging people to become a donor, either as a direct/living donor or on your driver’s license. I have the little red heart on my driver’s license and my family is aware of my wishes.
I hate that. I only know Portzline from reading his work and the odd podcast appearance but he seems like a really good dude. And yeah ... once you're dead those organs aren't doing you any good.

I figured long ago that if I can't use my parts, someone else can.
OTOH, I should issue a warning about my kidneys and liver. Put a lot of mileage on them!

I figured long ago that if I can't use my parts, someone else can.
OTOH, I should issue a warning about my kidneys and liver. Put a lot of mileage on them!
I was thinking about your kidneys and liver based on your history of posts LJG...glad you provided the disclaimer... 🍻

Ducks and Zegras finally reach agreement, he gets 3 years/$5.75 million AAV.

Per Frank Seravalli, there are only 2 other RFAs that haven’t signed yet, Jamie Drysdale from the Ducks and Shane Pinto from the Sens. Pinto and the Sens appear to be worlds apart. Supposedly the Sens offered 1 year/$1 million but that won’t get it done. The Sens only have $130k of cap space, so they’ll have to make a move to fit him in at any price. The cap hit includes $7.95 million for Josh Norris, who hasn’t played in a preseason game yet. But he’s out of the yellow jersey, so he should be back in the lineup sooner rather than later. The Sens are also carrying more than $5 million in dead cap between buyouts and retain salary transactions. They get relief from most of that after this season.

Ducks and Zegras finally reach agreement, he gets 3 years/$5.75 million AAV.

Per Frank Seravalli, there are only 2 other RFAs that haven’t signed yet, Jamie Drysdale from the Ducks and Shane Pinto from the Sens. Pinto and the Sens appear to be worlds apart. Supposedly the Sens offered 1 year/$1 million but that won’t get it done. The Sens only have $130k of cap space, so they’ll have to make a move to fit him in at any price. The cap hit includes $7.95 million for Josh Norris, who hasn’t played in a preseason game yet. But he’s out of the yellow jersey, so he should be back in the lineup sooner rather than later. The Sens are also carrying more than $5 million in dead cap between buyouts and retain salary transactions. They get relief from most of that after this season.
Pinto is interesting, word is he wants between $2 and $2.5m per...a good young center, with only $130K in cap space, shaving a couple million off sounds challenging for the Sens unless someone gets hurt and placed on LTIR.

Back