• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

You know what doesn't make sense? Hiring the jackass in the first place. Somebody go dig into THAT decision making process and get back to me. The rest of the story wrote itself.
This! I don't get it. Why hire that walking, talking HR nightmare in the first damn place? Sports people can be the dumbest people on the planet. TRADITION! HE'S A WINNER! Ugh, I hate that shit so much and what turned me off of playing sports as I got into my later years of high school.

This! I don't get it. Why hire that walking, talking HR nightmare in the first damn place? Sports people can be the dumbest people on the planet. TRADITION! HE'S A WINNER! Ugh, I hate that shit so much and what turned me off of playing sports as I got into my later years of high school.
bingo.
A. Why hire this landmine in the first place?
B. If you decided to ignore A, the dude should have been on an incredibly short lease and every time he farted it should have required approval

Beyond dumb hire and canning him this quickly exposes a clown show in their management.

Happy Monday!

Jeff

Beyond dumb hire and canning him this quickly exposes a clown show in their management.
If it was an isolated problem, then that's one thing. But Jarmo and Davidson only begrudgingly let Torts go in 2022 when the guy was straight up running off good players AND losing. And then they blew the whole summer budget on Johnny Hockey, saving not a farthing to bring in any other help up front or to improve a pretty horrific blueline group. And they acted like they were too consumed in mourning the loss of Torts to bother with an actual coaching search ... settling on a sacrificial lamb like he was following some sort of legend or something. They did collect their wits and make changes on the blueline THIS year, but still seem to think they can get by with AHL centers for some reason, and brought in a dinosaur of a coach to make sure it would be a big old mess. Don't even get me started on how much time they wasted on crappy goaltenders following Bob's departure, or the fact that they decided to long term Elvis ... who is erratic at best and flat out bad on average. Their whole tenure in the front office has been a clown show, so recent developments are 100% within expectations.

Again, if I was a Blue Jacket fan I'd either be permanently livid with ownership and management or else I'd have given up a long, long time ago. Prolly the latter, honestly.

Vancouver sends Tanner Pearson and a 2025 3rd rounder to the Habs for Casey DeSmith

Vancouver sends Tanner Pearson and a 2025 3rd rounder to the Habs for Casey DeSmith
DeSmith is a pretty high class backup for a team unlikely to be going anywhere. And that's a lot to give up for a backup.

DeSmith is a pretty high class backup for a team unlikely to be going anywhere. And that's a lot to give up for a backup.
The beat writers at The Athletic discussed it. Drance from Vancouver said that it was likely that Pearson wouldn’t make the team this year. But in the long term, he said it doesn’t make sense for them. They did need a capable backup, Demko has been injured the last 2 years and Spencer Martin was bad behind him last year. Basu from the Habs said it was a good deal for them unless Pearson blocks a younger player from making the team. Then he could end up in The AHL just as easily, if they plan to keep him. Hughes already flipped Petry and DeSmith from the Karlsson trade, so it wouldn’t be odd if Pearson was flipped too.

The beat writers at The Athletic discussed it. Drance from Vancouver said that it was likely that Pearson wouldn’t make the team this year. But in the long term, he said it doesn’t make sense for them. They did need a capable backup, Demko has been injured the last 2 years and Spencer Martin was bad behind him last year. Basu from the Habs said it was a good deal for them unless Pearson blocks a younger player from making the team. Then he could end up in The AHL just as easily, if they plan to keep him. Hughes already flipped Petry and DeSmith from the Karlsson trade, so it wouldn’t be odd if Pearson was flipped too.
Pearson would be bloody expensive in the A at 3 million and change ... and if he can't make that lineup then they may as well just pay him to sit at home. He's a UFA next summer. I get whey they wanted out of the DeSmith business, but I've got no idea why you'd take expensive depth in return if you aren't planning to play him. And Montreal is prolly gonna have to eat contract to move the Pearson. Bottom line ... it's a lot of trouble for two VERY marginal players.

The sale of the Ottawa Senators is finally complete. Canadian businessman Michael Andlauer bough approximatrly 90% of the team for $950 million. Eugene Melnyk’s estate owns the balance. He was part of Geoff Molson’s group that bought the Canadiens in 2009 and served as the alternate governor. In addition to the Sens, he owns the AHL Belleville Senators (which was part of the Ottawa sale) and OHL Brantford Bulldogs.

Yeah ... feels like a new day for Sens fans, but honestly the second Melnyk passed away it seemed like a cloud lifted off the franchise. They started operating in a pragmatic, logical fashion, for one thing. Welcome back, Senators. I didn't really miss ya, to be honest, but no fans deserve to be treated they way theirs have for the last ten years or so.

Yeah ... feels like a new day for Sens fans, but honestly the second Melnyk passed away it seemed like a cloud lifted off the franchise. They started operating in a pragmatic, logical fashion, for one thing. Welcome back, Senators. I didn't really miss ya, to be honest, but no fans deserve to be treated they way theirs have for the last ten years or so.
The Chicago Bears fans say hello.

The Jackets filled their assistant coach opening with Mark Recchi. He spent 3 years as an assistant for the Pens and 2 in New Jersey.
No shade on whatever Recchi may actually have to offer as an assistant, but this is 100% a PR hire. In bad need of some positive spin, Columbus hires one of the most respected and popular players of his generation. I bet that decision was mulled over for ... however long it took for somebody to track down Recchi's current number

Back