• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Dreger says that the Devils and GM Tom Fitzgerald agreed to a multi-year contract extension and they promoted him to President of Hockey Operations in addition to his GM role.

Probably a good move locking up Fitzgerald. He was on a first time GM's salary and had done a solid job, so that made him poachable. Other than his Lindy Ruff-sized blind spot, it's hard to argue with his work in Jersey.

Probably a good move locking up Fitzgerald. He was on a first time GM's salary and had done a solid job, so that made him poachable. Other than his Lindy Ruff-sized blind spot, it's hard to argue with his work in Jersey.
He might come to regret Meier’s and Hamilton’s contracts, but solid business getting Hughes and Bratt re-signed long term at reasonable numbers.

He might come to regret Meier’s and Hamilton’s contracts, but solid business getting Hughes and Bratt re-signed long term at reasonable numbers.
Maybe, but probably not for at least two more seasons ... when they have to get Luke Hughes' next deal done. And at least if you're over-spending, you're doing it on scoring. For me the contracts that really hurt are the ones where you over-spend on secondary guys ... or "grit"

The Timo Meier contract is starting off looking like a total disaster. 20 goal, 40 point Timo Meier is not exactly what the Devils had in mind.

When Dougie has been healthy (and if you ignore that first season when the Devils were still terrible), he has been earning that $9 million AAV in the regular season. Playoff Dougie hasn't been very good for the Devils.

Carter Hart requested and has been granted an indefinite leave of absence by the Flyers for personal reasons.

Last edited:
A new turn in the 2018 Canadian junior team sexual assault case...

It will be interesting to see if any familiar names are among those told to surrender.
Unfortunately, the article is behind a paywall.

Kevin Weekes says the Blackhawks are signing Petr Mrazek to a 2 year extension for north of $8 million.
Seravalli says 2 years, $4.25 million AAV. He’s in the last year of the 3 year/$11.4 million contract that he signed with Toronto.

My hometown is London Ontario and the overall consensus locally all along was that at some point they had narrowed the offenders of the incident down to 5 players on Team Canada's junior team with Formenton being at the top of the list and Gary Bettman likely telling him to go away a year or so ago, which Formenton did to Europe. The Dube and Hart news earlier in the week cemented the fact that they were likely another two of the five. It's a real mess to clean up and a sad stain for Hockey Canada and all that upper management that tried to cover it up.

Last edited:
My hometown is London Ontario and the overall consensus locally all along was that at some point they had narrowed the offenders of the incident down to 5 players on Team Canada's junior team with Formenton being at the top of the list and Gary Bettman likely telling him to go away a year or so ago, which Formenton did to Europe. The Dube and Hart news earlier in the week cemented the fact that they were likely another two of the five. Drake Batherson was always mentioned in that group as perhaps being involved during the entire investigation. It's a real mess to clean up and a sad stain for Hockey Canada and all that upper management that tried to cover it up.
The Flames statement on Dube said he was attending to his mental health and was under the care of health professionals. I guess if I found out I was going to be imminently arrested, my mental health would decline too.

Back