• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Sure Jan.
I dunno. There's a chance that the Flames were unaware of the timing, depending on how Dube and his camp framed the request ... and when. Then again, the skepticism is more than earned and completely fair.

There's several lessons here, but this league is notoriously lesson-adverse so I'll just skip it.

Here is an article about the fall and re-birth of Jokerit, one of the iconic Finnish hockey teams. They made an ill-fated move to the KHL with Russian investors. When the sanctions against Russia came, they wanted to get back to Liiga but had to divest themselves of Russian owners. Enter Esa Lindell and Teuvo Teravainan, both of whom played for Jokerit. They’re back, playing in the 2nd level Mestis, with hopes of winning promotion back to Liiga when the league restarts promotion/relegation next season. And they’re homeless, their former home, Hartwell Arena, is still under Russian ownership. They play at rival HIFK’s arena.

I love this ... and thanks for posting a feel good story. Seems like we all needed one of those.

Elliotte Friedman says that talks are intensifying between the Flames and Canucks over Elias Lindholm.

Edit: looks like it’s done. Andrei Kuzmenko is one of the pieces headed to Calgary. Lindholm’s first game with the Canucks will be in Raleigh next Tuesday.

Last edited:
The Lindholm trade is done. He goes to Vancouver in exchange for Andrei Kuzmenko, the rights to defense prospects Hunter Brzustewicz who is playing for Kitchener and Joni Jurmo, who is playing in Finland, a 2024 1st rounder and a conditional 2024 4th rounder.

Whoever pays Elias Lindholm $8+ million for a lot of years is going to be sorry. Solid 2nd line 50-60 point 2 way center, but not that 40 goal, 80 point +60 guy he showed a few years ago unless you are playing him with 2 high end stars. He's going to get overpaid significantly.

That said, the Canucks are all in this year apparently. Good for them, it's been a while.

Wow! That's quite the haul for Elias.
Maybe? It’s basically Kuzmenko and a 1st. If Kuzmenko gets back to where he was last season, it works. But after 39 goals as a 26 year old rookie last season, he has 8 this season. The 2 dmen were both 3rd rounders, one guy has never played here and his rights expire in June. The other guy still has a year of juniors.

The Jackets announce that Adam Fantilli is out 8 weeks with a lacerated calf muscle.

The Jackets announce that Adam Fantilli is out 8 weeks with a lacerated calf muscle.
Shame for his development, but they're in a ditch either way. I understand he was wearing the kevlar socks, otherwise ... woof.

Maybe? It’s basically Kuzmenko and a 1st. If Kuzmenko gets back to where he was last season, it works. But after 39 goals as a 26 year old rookie last season, he has 8 this season. The 2 dmen were both 3rd rounders, one guy has never played here and his rights expire in June. The other guy still has a year of juniors.
Yeah, the 1st was a baseline expectation and the rest of the trade is just a pile of maybe. So it boils down to whether or not Kuzmenko can get his game back or not to determine if Calgary got good value. At a $5.5 cap hit, it's not like he's cheap or anything either. He had two high impact seasons in the KHL before coming over, so you'd think this year os more of a slump or just a bad fit with their systems or something. Calgary has nothing to lose this season, so Kuzmenko should get plenty of quality ice time to sort things out.

Good business for Montreal, there. And heck, he had a good experience in Montreal so if Monahan fizzles in Winnipeg and doesn't light up his market value this summer, you can always go and re-sign the guy.

No All-Star Game next year. The NHL and NHLPA announced a Four Nations Faceoff with the US, Canada, Sweden and Finland to be held in Boston and Montreal. They’ll play a round robin with the top 2 teams advancing to the final. It’s a precursor to full World Cups in 2028 and 2032.

No All-Star Game next year. The NHL and NHLPA announced a Four Nations Faceoff with the US, Canada, Sweden and Finland to be held in Boston and Montreal. They’ll play a round robin with the top 2 teams advancing to the final. It’s a precursor to full World Cups in 2028 and 2032.

Weird ... I guess. The NHL seems to have lost confidence in the All Star game as a general concept, which explains the endless tinkering since the 2012 lockout. I'd submit that they just do a crap job at staging the thing.

Good business for Montreal, there. And heck, he had a good experience in Montreal so if Monahan fizzles in Winnipeg and doesn't light up his market value this summer, you can always go and re-sign the guy.
The condition on the 2027 3rd round pick is if the Jets win the Cup. So it’s basically Monahan for a 1st.

Seeing that NHLPA boss Marty Walsh is putting the kind of pressure on the NHL about the Arizona situation that SHOULD be coming from owners in other markets. https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/articl...-around-coyotes-new-arena-plans-unacceptable/

Still unclear what Bettman's endless fascination with a market that clearly doesn't want the product is, but it's about bloody time somebody with some juice started to put his little hobbit feet to the fire.

Back