• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Meh ... decent player, good motor, smart system guy but not a good enough finisher to do much good in Carolina's forward group. Could be a fit in the secondary UFA market this summer though, should the Canes decide to move on from Teravianen.

Agreed, do we really need another left handed checking center who is crappy at faceoffs? Putting Wennberg out there ahead of KK would accomplish.....?

The only way trading for Wennberg makes sense to me is a straight up deal for KK as a way to get out from under KK's contract and start fresh next season. Would we give up on KK 2 years into his 8 year contract?

Agreed, do we really need another left handed checking center who is crappy at faceoffs? Putting Wennberg out there ahead of KK would accomplish.....?

The only way trading for Wennberg makes sense to me is a straight up deal for KK as a way to get out from under KK's contract and start fresh next season. Would we give up on KK 2 years into his 8 year contract?
No, I don't think they will, and I don't think Kotkaniemi is a particularly good fit for how Seattle plays either.

Lindy Ruff got whacked today. Associate coach Travis Green takes over as interim.

View: https://x.com/njdevils/status/1764776959320498623?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

They're definitely at the 'way below expectations' level so not entirely unexpected. 1) I wonder if the 'pull the goalie without putting on a 6th skater' snafu last night was the proverbial straw. and 2) not having an NHL playoffs quality goalie on the roster is a GM problem, not a Lindy problem.

You'd have to have been asleep for the past month to not know that legal gambling is coming this month, to NC. I've seen nonstop ads all over the net and TV. The fact these gambling houses can spend billions and billions on ads, sponsoring all 4 major sports, etc shows just how big the industry has always been. But like I told someone earlier today, the guys who are into this have been doing it already. This isn't news.

Travis Green? Seriously?

See, it's this kind of thing that keeps me from completely buying into the notion that Tom Fitzgerald actually knows what he's going as a GM.
You mean going into this season with Schmid/Vaněček again wasn't enough to settle the question?

You mean going into this season with Schmid/Vaněček again wasn't enough to settle the question?
Assistant Ryan McGill has extensive head coaching experience in the WHL, OHL and AHL and Assistant Chris Taylor was head coach in AHL Rochester for 3 years. But Green was “top” assistant and the only one that has NHL coaching experience. And it’s only 21 games as an interim. Now, if he gets the full time gig…

The Islanders are placing dman Scott Mayfield on LTIR. Lamoriello says he’ll be shut down 4-6 weeks and then a decision on surgery will be made. He’s in the 1st year of a 7 year/$24.5 million contract.

I mean, it was a defense-able risk, especially with Daws as a third option in the mix. They've just all sucked. Schmid certainly gave every indication in the playoffs last year that he was ready to take a step up. Didn't work out anything like you'd have expected. Vanecek has never been a world beater, but he's never been anything close to as bad as he's been this season. Those things I get. Letting Bruno go to Nashville and replacing him as Lindy's "modern strategist" with freaking Travis Green? And then elevating Green when you finally ran out of patience with Lindy? Umm. That's just caveman dumb. Apparently the guy is benching Nemec and moving Hughes to wing. Those are the big ideas he was sitting on for Day 1 as bench boss. Sure. Exactly the same level of density he showed in Vancouver. Perfect.

And yeah, it's only 20-whatever games, but if you're a forward thinking GM you don't give a dipstick like Green a free hand on the roster decisions.

Dreger says the Pens hope to have a trade for Guentzel done by tomorrow evening. They would like a 1st, young NHL player and prospects. That’s a lot for a potential rental.

View: https://x.com/darrendreger/status/1765105415644131341?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

In years past you'd probably get a 1st and a prospect OR a young player for Guentzel. He's the most reliable scorer available though (if Tofoli is off the board ... and he may not be) so maybe that juices the return up a notch. I dunno. I wouldn't be happy giving up three pieces for any rental if one of them is a first rounder.

Arizona is holding Jason Zucker out of the lineup tonight, per Chris Johnston.

Johnston also says the Canucks are believed to be chasing a Guentzel and they’ve had discussions about potentially flipping Elias Lindholm to Boston.

Boston has what amounts to zero cap space, although I guess they could LTIR Hampus Lindholm until the end of the regular season ... but he supposedly week to week, so maybe not. Vancouver could retain half of what they're paying and Boston would "only" have to shed $2 mil and change but with their roster I'm not sure how that works. And Vancouver definitely has zero cap space so whatever they bring in, they've got to ship out.

And before anybody asks, no ... Zucker would make no sense for the Canes. He's a 3rd liner at best. A solid, versatile 3rd liner but that's all.

Back