• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Now that Sports betting is such a widespread thing, one thing that no league will tolerate from any player or coach is any comment or gesture or suggestion that an official is on the take, which is what Rudy Gobert did here.

Add in the NBA history of referees actually on the take (Tim Donaghy), they are going to come down hard on things like this.

The NHL joke is that Torts gets a 2 game suspension and $50k fine for his temper tantrum while earlier this season Jacob Trouba swung his stick and hit a player on the side of the head and only got a $5k fine for it.

Last edited:
Someone stop those Islanders! They look like a team that actually *wants* to make the playoffs now. All thanks to Philly wanting to be a performance of The Aristocrats instead of a being an NHL team.
Isles are on a 6 game winning streak and are only 2 points back with 2 games in hand. They’re at LA, then go to Buffalo. But starting next Saturday, they play 6 games in 9 days; home for Ottawa, at Rangers on a back to back, home for Canes, at Detroit, home for Winnipeg, home for Devils, also a back to back.

Now that Sports betting is such a widespread thing, one thing that no league will tolerate from any player or coach is any comment or gesture or suggestion that an official is on the take, which is what Rudy Gobert did here.

Add in the NBA history of referees actually on the take (Tim Donaghy), they are going to come down hard on things like this.
I'm hearing sort of the same with the NFL but in regards to reporting of player injuries. No more obfuscating actual injuries or exaggerating smaller injuries. All because of sports betting and it's exponential growth of late.

Devils at Rangers on NHL Network tonight at 7. A Devils regulation win puts first place in play tomorrow night.

Devils at Rangers on NHL Network tonight at 7. A Devils regulation win puts first place in play tomorrow night.
Who do we have to kneecap to get them to play one of their new goalies instead of trotting out Niko Daws ... again?

Who do we have to kneecap to get them to play one of their new goalies instead of trotting out Niko Daws ... again?
They have four goalies now so it might just be spin the wheel and see who plays next...anything resembling even mediocre goaltending would be a Godsend to that team this year.

They have four goalies now so it might just be spin the wheel and see who plays next...anything resembling even mediocre goaltending would be a Godsend to that team this year.
The Devils site doesn’t have any information, Green will speak to the media at 4:55. But Amanda Stein says on Twitter that Allen still has visa issues so he won’t play, it will either be Kahkonen or Daws. Adam Fox is under the weather and wasn’t at the Rangers skate so he’s unknown. Quick in goal for the Rangers.

Wait, so the Wild pulled their goalie during OT? Holy crap, that's awesome. If the Preds had scored then, the Wild would have forfeited the one point that they secured for being tied at the end of regulation. The Lions coach Dan Campbell whole heartedly endorses what the Wild did.

Kahkonen is in for the Devils. Fox is in, Trouba is out, he’ll also miss tomorrow’s game in Raleigh.

For those with a subscription to The Athletic, here’s a feel good story to start your day…

I’ve been meaning to get to it, thanks for the reminder. I didn’t think it was 8 years, I thought I saw him more recently than that. But his last NHL game was January 12, 2016

One nugget I caught from the Athletic today...Ottawa has played 14 of their 16 road games against the Western conference so far. They have lost ALL of them, 0-13-1.

They have Winnipeg and Minnesota left to play on the road.

Old friend Ryan Dzingel signed a PTO with the AHL Henderson Silver Knights. He hasn’t played since last season.

Rempe got 4 games. Thats a pretty clear warning shot that the next time will be an in person hearing. There is a clear emphasis on “Rempe has been neither fined nor suspended in his 10 GAME NHL career.”

That'll cost him ....... about 22 minutes, 33 seconds of ice time, or about 1.2 games for a player who belongs in the NHL rather than the WWE.

Back