• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

I mean, sure, if you actually believe that this suspension will set a precedent they'll stick to, go for it. I do think it'll probably be one of the longest of the season. I think that's probably stuff of fairytales though. I don't believe there's any appetite by Parros to actually eliminate headshots.
I agree with you but precedent is a lousy excuse to keep doing the same bad things.

Hard to start a precedent until you take the first (and second) step. Right now the precedent is "all over the place"

When George Parros took the DoPS job, he said his biggest goal was to crack down on... slashing to the hands. My opinion is just that it won't end up being the first or second step of any precedent, that's all.

Sure. So long as Bettman is in charge, all over the place is going to be the standard produced by DPoS ... it has nothing to do with Parros. At best he's a figurehead, at worst he's cipher. Either way he hasn't had an original thought in his entire professional life.

All over the place isn’t really where they’ve been though. They consistently give slaps on the wrist or nothing.

All over the place isn’t really where they’ve been though. They consistently give slaps on the wrist or nothing.
That's the perception but it's not really true ... depending on your definition of slaps on the wrist, of course. And I'm not gonna parse that. Guys get suspended. Guys get fined. There's just no predictable pattern you can apply without factoring for regional biases and individual players who clearly operate in a blind spot.

When George Parros took the DoPS job, he said his biggest goal was to crack down on... slashing to the hands. My opinion is just that it won't end up being the first or second step of any precedent, that's all.
The slash on the hands from above or the hook from underneath has been fairly consistently called over the last few years. But the suspensions…not so consistent.

Seems like 1-6 games should be the low end for some things. If you suspended him for 20 games it wouldn’t happen again. If he misses a handful of games he’s free to continue to Wilson his way through his career.

They need to send a message they this stuff is NOT part of the game and won’t be allowed to happen.

It’s not all over the place from a what should happen it’s all less than what should happen.

The slash on the hands from above or the hook from underneath has been fairly consistently called over the last few years. But the suspensions…not so consistent.
Yeah but we heard a whole lot of malarkey about cross checking to the back was supposed to be an initiative too that they were cracking down on...that was a lie. When a slash on the gloves/hands is more important than a cross check in the back or a targeted head hit then you know how ass backwards this league is. I've played a shitload of hockey in my 50 years and I can assure you I'd rather take a slash on the gloved hand over a cross check to my back or a hit to the head!

I mean, yes ... but not because of DPoS intervention. The refs actually stuck with a league directive for more than five minutes and the players started to catch on. Most of them anyway. It took Svech an extra year.

That's the thing with the league initiatives, isn't it? The refs HAVE to stick to their guns, and they just don't have the guts to do it 90% of the time. And it's not like they get punished when they wimp out.

Question: are all head shots automatically reviewed by the league office? Even the ones that were missed by the refs?

The league needs to take the initiative and tell dpos that they need to punish violations. And the refs and layer safety have to enforce it. This is ultimately a question of league survival. What if someone takes a cheap shot like that and dies or gets paralyzed? The league will get sued out of existence. They show a callous disregard for these clearly reckless dangerous unnecessary actions that have no part in the game beyond bully style intimidation.

There needs to be more at steak for players and teams than a slim chance of suspension or a meaningless fine.

Guys like Trouba only get those big contracts because they play on that edge. So wracking up 20k in fines is more than offset by the higher contract. There needs to be consequences especially for repeat offenders. Like longer suspensions and no cap relief while they’re out, or have to play short a roster spot while they’re suspended.

It looks like Phil Kessel will land in Vancouver. He’ll be working out in Abbotsford this week, according to GM Patrick Allvin.

A new lawsuit is accusing the NHL and the major junior leagues of collusion…

I mean, they 100% collude to restrict player compensation. The question of whether they do so illegally or not is above my pay grade.

Blue Jackets finally fired GM Jarmo Kekalainen yesterday. Honestly, not sure what John Davidson has been doing to earn his keep up there as President either. I'd have gotten a wider broom. How both of those guys lasted this long after the Babcock debacle is beyond mind boggling.

For everybody else, that probably puts their most of their whole roster in play at the deadline if the deal is even close to right.

Blue Jackets finally fired GM Jarmo Kekalainen yesterday. Honestly, not sure what John Davidson has been doing to earn his keep up there as President either. I'd have gotten a wider broom. How both of those guys lasted this long after the Babcock debacle is beyond mind boggling.

For everybody else, that probably puts their most of their whole roster in play at the deadline if the deal is even close to right.

why didn’t the coach get canned also?

Back