• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Viewing some longer replays, it’s unassailable that Wilson absolutely intended to hit the opposing player hard, in the face, with the stick. There’s no 2 ways about it. This was not a hockey play. It was assault with intent to injure.

As far as I can tell, he’s been suspended for 30 games in his career (including 2 preseason and 3 playoff). This should be a long suspension… but it won’t be.

Regarding Simon, his NHL career started in 1992. Fighting reached its peak in 1988. There was a marked increase in the mid 70s with the Broad Street Bullies but that was nothing compared to the mid-80s. At that point, there was more than a fight a game on average. Simon started right near that peak. Since that peak, fighting has decreased by about 80%. Hopefully this will mean far fewer CTE casualties in today’s players.

I am not defending the NHL. Nor am I saying that it’s OK to have a few CTE cases or that fighting is the only cause of CTE. Just saying that, assuming that fighting was a substantial contributor to Simon’s case, the players that we today call fighters are not taking anywhere near the blows that they took in Simon’s day.

Viewing some longer replays, it’s unassailable that Wilson absolutely intended to hit the opposing player hard, in the face, with the stick. There’s no 2 ways about it. This was not a hockey play. It was assault with intent to injure.

As far as I can tell, he’s been suspended for 30 games in his career (including 2 preseason and 3 playoff). This should be a long suspension… but it won’t be.
Wouldn't be surprised if it was just a fine.

Shockingly, Wilson was offered an in person hearing, so this could be more than 5 games. The time and date are TBD, so if the hearing doesn’t happen before tomorrow, he can play against the Canes?
Well, they do love a guy with priors ... as if that really has anything to do with anything. The excuse-making on line for this one is ... umm ... bonkers. "He was just swinging his stick at the glass and the guy's head got in the way." Suuuure. There's absolutely no logical or moral length fans won't go to in order to keep their precious tough guys in the lineup.

Tom Wilson needs another job where he can't intentionally inflict injury on others. There's no place for that $#!T in hockey, period. As a repeat offender, he knows exactly what he doing & that it's wrong. The NHL should flush that turd while they've got the opportunity.

Jim

Back