• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023-24 NHL Misc. Thread

Well I guess it’s ok he got hurt by a cheap underhanded dirty unsportsmanlike Paul Maurice-approved play. The dirtbags deserve each other. The league deserves it. I hope it goes 7 and ends with a full on riot on the ice that flows into the stands and most of the players and coaches on both teams get arrested. Well only the dirtbags, but that’s the majority of both of those teams. Sleep with dogs you get fleas.
Mike Milbury approves all of that! Especially the part about it flowing into the stands.

The Pens were pretty skill-forward, as was the first batch of the Cooper Lightning teams. The Caps were kind of a combo platter, but they leaned skill. If somebody's trying to make the case that Carolina keeps losing in the 2nd or 3rd round because they aren't "heavy" enough then you've got to look further than the teams that have actually won the East. Boston has also been a big factor in the East over that time and they're not all THAT physical. They're just dirty. There's a difference. I mean, they got pushed around by Florida a bit, but that's not whey they lost last season. They lost because they couldn't beat Bob.

Oh, and the Rangers got more traction in that series when they backed off the physical stuff and just played hockey. That also runs contrary to the "big bag of knuckles" theory.

Ottawa hired former Cane Rob DiMaio as Director of Player Personnel and Pro Scouting. He’s been in hockey operations since 2008, working as a pro scout for the Blues before becoming Director of Player Personnel from 2015-22. He’s been AGM in Anaheim for the last 2 years and GM of the AHL San Diego Gulls.

He only played here for 1 season, 2000-01, coming here from the Rangers with Darren Langdon for Sandy McCarthy and a draft pick. He signed with Dallas as a UFA in 2001 and played 3 seasons, played the lockout year in Europe and finished in Tampa in 2005-06.

Nashville sends dman Ryan McDonagh and Edmonton’s 2024 4th rounder to Tampa for a 2025 2nd rounder and 2024 7th rounder. No salary retention, the Preds have nearly $12 million in dead cap for salary retention for Johansen and Ekholm and buyouts for Duchene and Turris. He has 2 years left at $6.75 million AAV, a contract he originally signed with Tampa in 2018. They traded him to Nashville in July 2022 for Philippe Myers and Grant Mismash. Myers only played 16 games for the Lightning over 2 years, Mismash wasn’t qualified by Tampa and played last season in Sweden

McDonagh for a 2nd round pick seems like a fair value without requiring retention. He is still a really good defensive Dman.

Tampa's Dman depth was exposed this past season. Bringing McDonagh back will help shore up Tampa's Dmen crew as they continue to try to contend with their Stamkos-Kucherov-Point-Hedman-Sergachev-Vasilevskiy core.

Note that I kept Stamkos on the list. I highly doubt he ends up signing somewhere else even though Tampa will have to do a few things to fit him under the cap. You COULD argue that adding McDonagh back, without retention if that ends up being the case, makes keeping Stamkos a bit more of a challenge, but its Tampa...they will work it out.

As for Nashville....they seem to be trying to do a soft rebuild. Removing McDonagh will make them worse. The Askarov era is likely to begin this next season....they have a lot of cap room and a lack of offensive punch at forward beyond Forsberg. I'm expecting to see pundits try to match up the Canes and Nashville as partners for a Necas package trade.

Last edited:
Yeah, Tampa dumped McDonagh thinking he was pretty close to cooked only to see him go play more than 150 games at a pretty high level for the Preds. His cap hit is a problem, but at least he can play meaningful defensive shifts. Plus, his actual contract payment dips to $4.2 mil in 25-26 should they need to do something else. In retrospect, that was a really dumb move for the Bolts, who had at least one good whack at the Cup pinata left while he was gone.

Ottawa hired former Cane Rob DiMaio as Director of Player Personnel and Pro Scouting. He’s been in hockey operations since 2008, working as a pro scout for the Blues before becoming Director of Player Personnel from 2015-22. He’s been AGM in Anaheim for the last 2 years and GM of the AHL San Diego Gulls.

He only played here for 1 season, 2000-01, coming here from the Rangers with Darren Langdon for Sandy McCarthy and a draft pick. He signed with Dallas as a UFA in 2001 and played 3 seasons, played the lockout year in Europe and finished in Tampa in 2005-06.
IIRC, he was the only Canes player to stand up to Scott Stevens after Stevens knocked Ron Francis out of the game during the playoffs that year.

Dallas over Edmonton...Florida over those annoying Rags...who says no??? I must admit I am looking forward to a Bob vs Shesterkin Russian Goalie Battle Royal and of course the usual Florida douche bag antics to try and rile up the Rangers...should be a fun series.

IIRC, he was the only Canes player to stand up to Scott Stevens after Stevens knocked Ron Francis out of the game during the playoffs that year.
Weird ... I remember pretty much everybody stepping up, since that game ended with multiple brawls. Even freaking Ozolinsh fought somebody that night.

Dallas over Edmonton...Florida over those annoying Rags...who says no??? I must admit I am looking forward to a Bob vs Shesterkin Russian Goalie Battle Royal and of course the usual Florida douche bag antics to try and rile up the Rangers...should be a fun series.
Yeah, if I can climb out of my annual post Canes elimination funk that Rangers/Panthers series should be entertaining if nothing else.

Pretty much everyone took a run at him. By the end of the game, the Canes had about 8-9 guys on the bench and Jeff Daniels was playing defense. Karpa, Westlund and Ozolinsh had fights, Westlund and Langdon had game misconducts. Even Snuggles Tanabe got a misconduct

Yeah, if I can climb out of my annual post Canes elimination funk that Rangers/Panthers series should be entertaining if nothing else.
The last time I felt this funk was at the end of the 2008 season was when the Canes had to beat Florida to back into the playoffs and couldn’t close. Belfour had a time mocking the Canes.

I just looked at the schedule for that season, the Canes finished 2nd in the SE and the only SE team to make the playoffs were the Capital. Talk about abusing a goalie! Cam Ward played every game from January through the end of the season with the exception of 3 games— 38 out of 41 games.

Back