• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

Reinbacher told media at the Combine that he doesn’t expect to go top 10. He screams of Rick Green. Nice player but had no business going no. 1 overall. He was good for the Habs, however, paired with Chelios.
Ekholm type solid but not flashy

In a weak draft he goes top 5

If anyone's interested in the FutureConsiderations draft guide, let me know.
Sure , sounds good

I just picked the Hockey News Draft preview , some intriguing players ranked in the 30-65 range

I would trade the florida pick and net an extra second

I think I prefer Sandin-Pellikka over Reinbacher as far as a defence pick would go. .

Assuming Bedard and Fantilli are gone, I'd go Michkov, Carlsson, Leonard, Sandin-Pellikka in that order of preference. At least two of them would be available.

I could live with Smith, but would be somewhat disappointed if we passed on those guys to pick him. Anyone other than these guys and Smith are not in my line of vision at this point.

The Canadiens could still pick Matvei Michkov with the No. 5 pick in the 2023 NHL draft.

It’s possible, but it doesn’t seem very likely. Four days spent mining for information at the NHL scouting combine gave us that impression, even if no one from the Canadiens would come out and say it, for obvious reasons. We had a few people suggest that not only would Michkov not get picked by the Canadiens, he might be available outside the top-10.

Too much noise from the early beginning, I sadly highly doubt we would be drafting Michkov if available. I would, but I don’t think the Habs will.
Noise from who? The media and hockey “insider,” all of whom are just guessing. No one knows. If Michkov is as good as most claim, he’s not falling out of the top 5-6. The biggest issue with him is that no one has seen him play in person in quite a while. That’s the biggest risk with taking him. Video is not the same thing.

Too much noise from the early beginning, I sadly highly doubt we would be drafting Michkov if available. I would, but I don’t think the Habs will.
I think Hughes is up to something creative.

HuGo wasn't sold on Wright and early indicators are he was right. It was a weak draft like the Galchenyuk draft.

They went with the guy with the most upside even if Cooley is currently a little slicker.

I want Michkov though. When he finally comes over people will be sorry.

Noise from who? The media and hockey “insider,” all of whom are just guessing. No one knows. If Michkov is as good as most claim, he’s not falling out of the top 5-6. The biggest issue with him is that no one has seen him play in person in quite a while. That’s the biggest risk with taking him. Video is not the same thing.
Also, Michkov might be mister dangle wangle, but if HuGo / MSL’s philosophy is towards more cerebral, tenacious players, doesn’t seem like a good fit.

Drafting for need is stupid at the top of the draft. BPA. Always.
Besides the NFL, drafting for need is always stupid.

You draft a player at 18 for "need", when he'll be in the NHL in two or three years later, and reach his prime another two to three years after that. The team's "need" will usually be different by then.

Always draft BPA.

You draft a player at 18 for "need", when he'll be in the NHL in two or three years later, and reach his prime another two to three years after that. The team's "need" will usually be different by then.

Always draft BPA.
You can do it in later rounds when the odds are low but not in the first three rounds was always my standard.

Always draft BPA.
Best player available is a subjective measure - what one org qualifies as BPA is not the same as anothers.. unless it’s a unanimous generational talent

Back