• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

Leonard's the type of player I'd be much more understanding if we could get him in the 12 to 15 range.

At 5, though? Nope. Big nope from me.

I've come to the conclusion that this organization is too chicken-shit to try their hand on Michkov, unfortunately, so that leaves Dvorsky/Leonard/Perreault/Reinbacher/Barlow/Benson.

Honestly, I'd much rather trade down. See if we could trade with Detroit. Our two firsts (5 & 31) for their two firsts and one of their three second round picks (9, 17 & 43). That would make it much more interesting.

Would you take Smith at 5 or explore trading down?

Broke all the records.

But Russia

I mean do you guys really back down from bullies in real life?

Take Michkov at five if he's there. That will be the steal of the draft.
I guess I would think twice if they killed someones father.

So does that make Basu / Godin the Ministers of Disinformation?

they are at least honest about their role...but they still have to write about all the options, and I give them credit for providing backgrounds on players outside the top 5

In other words, more exposure to russian mafia.
There's no way Putin and company would prefer Michkov play in the states. None. I think the stars might align for the Habs. Whether Hughes looks up to notice or not is the question.

Would you take Smith at 5 or explore trading down?
I'd take Smith. Assuming Bedard-Fantilli-Carlsson-Smith are gone and we're not taking Michkov? I'm trading down.

If Detroit were to accept my hypothetical trade of our two firsts for their two firsts + a second? I'd hope Reinbacher's there at #9.

I'd take Smith. Assuming Bedard-Fantilli-Carlsson-Smith are gone and we're not taking Michkov? I'm trading down.

If Detroit were to accept my hypothetical trade of our two firsts for their two firsts + a second? I'd hope Reinbacher's there at #9.
I would trade the pick for their two firsts and their lowest two seconds. 9, 17, 31, 37, 41 is a pretty decent haul but they own 41, 42, 43.

If they really want the pick it's both firsts and two seconds. 41,42.

They have a ton of picks this draft. This would give Hughes a lot of trade capital too in picks 9, 17, 31. 37, 41, 42. Six picks in the first two rounds? Good enough.

I would still rather Michkov though.

Detroit is not trading 4 picks to move up 4 spots. GGpX proposal is much more realistic. Our first twos for their first twos and a second.

Noise from who? The media and hockey “insider,” all of whom are just guessing. No one knows. If Michkov is as good as most claim, he’s not falling out of the top 5-6. The biggest issue with him is that no one has seen him play in person in quite a while. That’s the biggest risk with taking him. Video is not the same thing.
I don’t give a shit about a single writer opinion but as a whole, they do have a good feel on the organization, and when all of them opine in the same direction, I start to listen. They were all saying last year that the Habs were not too fond of Wright, and they were right.

I don’t give a shit about a single writer opinion but as a whole, they do have a good feel on the organization, and when all of them opine in the same direction, I start to listen. They were all saying last year that the Habs were not too fond of Wright, and they were right.
I honestly don’t recall any of them saying that - re: Wright - but if they did, then good on them. My point is that I don’t think HuGo know who they’re picking as of yet, Michkov or no Michkov. They said that last year they only decided on Slaf the morning of the draft, and I actually believe them.

Back