• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

There is no way Leonard or Reinbacher are better than Michkov. None.
In the end the final decision will be based on individual skill or making the team game better?

If there’s enough confidence that Michkov will make those around him at the NHL level better / leading them towards winning then there’s the pick…

In the end the final decision will be based on individual skill or making the team game better?

If there’s enough confidence that Michkov will make those around him at the NHL level better / leading them towards winning then there’s the pick…
Michkov is a no-brainer. Everyone is over thinking this because that's what talking monkeys who think they have logic do.

Narrator: No logic found

Broke all the records.

But Russia

I mean do you guys really back down from bullies in real life?

Take Michkov at five if he's there. That will be the steal of the draft.
I don’t believe there’s another org better setup at present to properly evaluate the Michkov situation with inside info than the Habs w Bobrov’s old man working for SKA

I don’t believe there’s another org better setup at present to properly evaluate the Michkov situation with inside info than the Habs w Bobrov’s old man working for SKA
I really think this is HuGo telling the league the they're not interested so that they can maneuver the trade market to move up.

They used disinformation last summer I'll remind people.

So thinking on this here are my reasons for the top five picks

Chicago - Bedard - gross

Anaheim - Fantilli - people think they might surprise and take Michkov? Not when another Getzlaf with better wheels is sitting there.

Columbus - Carlsson - potential elite two way center like Barkov, in the end the conservative Jaarmo and Davidson go conservative.

SJ - Smith - there's a lot to do in SJ and dealing with Michkov when a potential PPG center is available will be too much for SJ to risk on Michkov.

Montreal - no fucking clue but it better be Michkov or a trade for a nice haul.

I still have confidence

Besides the NFL, drafting for need is always stupid.

You draft a player at 18 for "need", when he'll be in the NHL in two or three years later, and reach his prime another two to three years after that. The team's "need" will usually be different by then.

Always draft BPA.
That's precisely what Pierre McGuire said on TSN before the start of the 2005 draft. Then a few minutes later when the Habs drafted Price, the first thing out of his mouth was "Why are they drafting a goalie? They need a defenseman!"

Also, Michkov might be mister dangle wangle, but if HuGo / MSL’s philosophy is towards more cerebral, tenacious players, doesn’t seem like a good fit.
All accounts say his hockey IQ is on par with Bedard. You don't break records without knowing the game and seeing the ice well.

For all his “compete level” Leonard was the least productive player on his line. I’m sure him and Reinbacher are nice players with high floors but I’m chasing crazy upside at 5 while trusting my scouting apparatus to find 2nd liners with picks 31 and 37

Best player available is a subjective measure - what one org qualifies as BPA is not the same as anothers.. unless it’s a unanimous generational talent
No kidding.

And it's also, what is more important for you, a high ceiling or a high floor? BPA will vary from person to person on what their criteria is.

Take Ryan Leonard, for example. There seems to be overall agreement that while his ceiling might not be very high, his floor is pretty high. Seems like a lock for a 2nd/3rd line player that teams will hate to play against.

I'm not floor guy. I'm ceiling guy.

Goalies and QBs are the only exception to the rule. If Tampa Bay's got a first round pick, they're not going to pick a goalie even if it's the best player available.

You can't draft one high when, in the best case scenario, they're going to play the role of backup behind your long-term franchise QB/goalie.

For all his “compete level” Leonard was the least productive player on his line. I’m sure him and Reinbacher are nice players with high floors but I’m chasing crazy upside at 5 while trusting my scouting apparatus to find 2nd liners with picks 31 and 37
They're top ten players in an average draft. Neither excite. Michkov will bring fans out of seats.

Leonard's the type of player I'd be much more understanding if we could get him in the 12 to 15 range.

At 5, though? Nope. Big nope from me.

I've come to the conclusion that this organization is too chicken-shit to try their hand on Michkov, unfortunately, so that leaves Dvorsky/Leonard/Perreault/Reinbacher/Barlow/Benson.

Honestly, I'd much rather trade down. See if we could trade with Detroit. Our two firsts (5 & 31) for their two firsts and one of their three second round picks (9, 17 & 43). That would make it much more interesting.

Back