• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

We have more Swedes than Russians in the system.

Plus you forget the ones that didn't pan out.

The Russian thing is very real.

In case you're wondering a total of 18 Swedes have played for the Habs.

Oh and only 12 Finns.

But if you look at recent history, say since the Kostitsyn fiasco pick its different. Let's look at the past 20 years...

Minimum 5 games

Finland 8
Sweden 9
Russia 7

There's was far more Russians in the 90s and early 2000. It seemed to make a right turn under Gainey.

In the earlier days of internet hockey hype I remember Perezhogin supposedly being a “dark horse” candidate for the Calder just behind Crosby and Ovechkin.

Since 1989, we drafted 16 Swedes, 0 in the first round, only 2 in the second round. Of those only 3 played NHL games for us, De La Rose, Norlinder and Vejdemo, for a total of 138 games. 10 more Swedes played for us via trades or signings, the most notable being Sundstrom and Dackell.

During the same period we drafted 30 Russians (I'm counting all former USSR countries), 4 first round picks, 3 second round picks. 11 played NHL games for us. Markov alone has 990 games. 15 more Russians played for us via trades or signings, including Kovalev, Radulov, Malakhov, Zubrus...

If you just want to do since 2003, 17 drafted Russians (3 1st picks), 13 Swedes (0 first picks).

8 Swedes played for us (min 5 games), total 606 games.

14 Russians, total 2584 games.

Since 1989, we drafted 16 Swedes, 0 in the first round, only 2 in the second round. Of those only 3 played NHL games for us, De La Rose, Norlinder and Vejdemo, for a total of 138 games. 10 more Swedes played for us via trades or signings, the most notable being Sundstrom and Dackell.

During the same period we drafted 30 Russians (I'm counting all former USSR countries), 4 first round picks, 3 second round picks. 11 played NHL games for us. Markov alone has 990 games. 15 more Russians played for us via trades or signings, including Kovalev, Radulov, Malakhov, Zubrus...

If you just want to do since 2003, 17 drafted Russians (3 1st picks), 13 Swedes (0 first picks).

8 Swedes played for us (min 5 games), total 606 games.

14 Russians, total 2584 games.
Oh I'm well aware that we avoided Russians and Swedes, I just found it funny that you could see it with Swedes but not Russians.

Something happened and the only thing I can guess at was Kostitsyns. That draft set us back. There's little doubt the organization doesn't highly value Russians, don't see how anyone passing attention doesn't see that.

Oh no I’m aware we’ve been avoid Russians, but I think it’s a league wide trend minus a few exceptions. I don’t think there is an order from above, just like I don’t think Molson doesn’t want us to draft Swedes.

Sweden is just bizarre as unlike Russia, there isn’t as many risks and there is twice as many Swedes in the league as there is Russians.

Habs met and so did Molson. What happened next is anyone's guess but it culminated in Price wondering if he left the oven on.

Back