• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

I'm sure they had no idea one of the two token Russians was signing in the KHL whereby making him a prospect in name only.

Like I said draft day, will never wear the jersey.
Or they like the idea of not having to use up a contact right away. Let somebody else pay him to see if he becomes something worthwhile.

Draft is so biased against Canadians, because you need to sign them to contracts to develop them. American high school kids and Russians , not so much.

Sure. Except there's two demographics that "unexplainably" are missing since Bergevin took over...

They don't rush to sign late round picks

That's not it.
They have to be signed to something once their CHL eligibilty is over. AHL contracts maybe, but there is only a limited # of those available on any AHL team (most have NHL contracts for callup flexibility).

I’d be tempted to turn anti facist if they murdered my dad.

Too bad Habs consortium is pro facist… will be on the wrong side of history

I’d be tempted to turn anti facist if they murdered my dad.

Too bad Habs consortium is pro facist… will be on the wrong side of history
Now this part is pure speculation but Trudeau is close with some of the consortium guys (he thinks he is and it’s just being used) and I wonder if they don’t want to upset the golden goose of like the other way?

I don’t really see it. There is not a lot of Russians in the league to start with, we’ve been drafting Russians over the years, I’m curious how we compare to other teams in that regard, and we’ve had Russians on the team almost every seasons.

Reactions: CH1
I don’t really see it. There is not a lot of Russians in the league to start with, we’ve been drafting Russians over the years, I’m curious how we compare to other teams in that regard, and we’ve had Russians on the team almost every seasons.
I agree if anything Habs simply don’t / can’t draft Swedes.

I agree if anything Habs simply don’t / can’t draft Swedes.
Yeah Swedes are the true mystery/victims. It’s almost comical at this point, and it’s been going on for a long long time. And there is way more Swedes in the league than Russians.

The thing with Swedes is so weird. The last time we drafted a decent Swede was in 1988. We took Patric Kjellberg (Played 7 games for us) and Peter Popovic, both of whom played less than 500 career games in the NHL. Between then & now, the only Swede we drafted who's had any kind of meaningful amount of game sin the NHL? Jacob de la Rose.

Besides that? The only Swede of note was Mats Naslund.

Literally four total Swedes that played a real amount of games in the NHL and we've never taken one in th first round. That's it.

I don't know what happened to have such a blind spot for them. And it goes beyond one regime or even ownership.

Back