• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2023 Draft and UFA Thread

Not everything is as it seems is the response I got from my inquiry. That just tells me this needs to be a verbal discussion.

my biggest issue is asset management. Feels like we're wasting assets. The tanking and sell off netted us Newhook, Slaf, Reinbacher and some prospects that won't play in the NHL.

Still have no goalie prospect and still have a pretty middling stack of forward prospects

What's the difference between a rebuild and a retool?

Is it the difference between going scorched earth vs not?
A retool is a quicker change of roster through trades for NHL ready players. A rebuild is producing those players more internally and takes 2-3 years longer but gives you a solid foundation. Of course it all hinges on player development and drafting so the fact Hughes is going trade route more tells me that he's not confident in those two departments yet and that while we have good prospects, we don't have many great ones.

They be a bubble team next year if they stay healthy. You'll see.

my biggest issue is asset management. Feels like we're wasting assets. The tanking and sell off netted us Newhook, Slaf, Reinbacher and some prospects that won't play in the NHL.

Still have no goalie prospect and still have a pretty middling stack of forward prospects
I am rather high on all three of those players though, just need patience.

Timing is important. Habs didn't have it.

It's the difference between having the guts to say "Fuck the fans" or the cowardice not to say it. A proper rebuild involves pain. You don't just trim fat, you cut into bone and sinew. A "retool" is just a euphemism for "We don't have the guts to actually burn it to the ground and start over so we'll band-aid it and hope to get lucky with a fluke playoff run that will keep everyone employed another year."

Case in point, they fired Timmins but his brain-dead, risk-averse scouting staff kept their jobs. That's why they copped out and passed on Michkov last night. All fucking make believe.

It’s bs semantics, GM speak. They can use whatever term their senior comm advisor suggests, we damn well know they’ve been rebuilding and not giving a damn about wins and losses for the past two years…. moving all the old furniture they could, absorbing cap hits for draft picks, etc etc

It’s bs semantics, GM speak. They can use whatever term their senior comm advisor suggests, we damn well know they’ve been rebuilding and not giving a damn about wins and losses for the past two years…. moving all the old furniture they could, absorbing cap hits for draft picks, etc etc
There's a distinction in the industry that you choose to ignore. That doesn't mean it isn't there.

That quote sets me off. But the more I read about it, the more it boils down to the amount of information available. Pretty much everyone in the org saw Reinbacher multiple times and everyone liked him, they had mountains of data on the guy. Versus nobody in the org saw Michkov besides videos. So it was really about drafting blind vs drafting with confidence. At #5, if you really like a guy that you think will be a top pair defensemen for you, and you know the team at #6 will jump on him if available, that's pretty defensible.
TLDR: safe pick

If a rebuild means only using draft picks then that's stupid, teams should use all the tools available.

The only guy we traded for are from the same draft year as Caufield, so now we have 3 first round draft picks that are 22 and already NHLers, that's pretty good and part of a rebuild, albeit accelerated.

Seems like our defense is pretty set now. In 2 years from now we'll be rid of all the previous org pieces that don't fit with the future, minus Gallagher.

I'm on the side of accelerated rebuild vs retool, from me retool is taking a short break from being competitive to reloads on players while keeping your core intact. That was never really our case as we pretty much got rid of all our core from our competitive year (singular).

I am not necessarily talking about this place.

But this fanbase has more drama queens than any other. The reaction to the pick is like the Price pick in 2005....because they didn't pick Gilbert Brule. Bunch of animals.

Yes they went for the safer pick but they also have boom or bust D prospects in Mailloux and Hutson. BUT BUT we need forwards...

I turned my phone off at 8 pm....I dont think I want to even talk to some of my mates. With Covid denial posts on fb, the anti vax rhetoric, and now this, I can't unsee what I have seen.
While annoying it's understandable. We've been denied from offensive stars since Lafleur, while literally every other teams in the league had many during the same period. Our last top 10 player in scoring was Naslund in 1986?? That's where the frustration comes from and like every frustrations, it's ugly when expressed.

The crux of the distinction is timing. A team announcing a rebuild is in it for five years. A team retooling is 2-3.

While annoying it's understandable. We've been denied from offensive stars since Lafleur, while literally every other teams in the league had many during the same period. Our last top 10 player in scoring was Naslund in 1986?? That's where the frustration comes from and like every frustrations, it's ugly when expressed.
I'm not overly upset this morning. By the time Michkov reaches Philly the Habs will have been back in the playoffs.

I'm not overly upset this morning. By the time Michkov reaches Philly the Habs will have been back in the playoffs.
I'm not either, but I was last night. It's the pattern that annoys me, it's like the Habs as an org don't want us to enjoy spectacular players.

I set myself up for disappointment as soon as Anaheim picked Carlsson.

I thought for sure Montreal was trading with Columbus, Philly or Nashville. The thought of Askarov +15 for #5 clouded my judgment of the pick, not that it was ever viable

Back