• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

you hate Russians...
I do, but my post has nothing to do with that. Senneke is a known quantity because he plays in a league with the most NHL-like style. His career path is relatively easy to project. But kids who play in Europe, especially in Russia, where you see stuff on video but not much else, in leagues with varying degrees of talent that may or may not translate well at the NHL level, it's impossible to know what you're getting.

It's far easier to project what Senneke will become as an NHLer than what Demidov will become, or even if he will become anything in the NHL. So do the Habs want to take that risk and buy what could be a pig in a poke or go with the guy who is a lead-pipe cinch to be a top 6 forward?

Look at his output on a bad team. He's worth more than 10.

Don't think he's worth 10 and Byram though but that's what I'd want. Even it out with other lesser assets
Hey, I'm a fan of Matheson, he's a very good player. But he's got 2 years left on his contract and I don't really see us resigning him. 10OA is pretty good value for him. Could we squeeze a bit more? Maybe, but I don't think I turn it down. It also alleviate our logjam on defense.

Hey, I'm a fan of Matheson, he's a very good player. But he's got 2 years left on his contract and I don't really see us resigning him. 10OA is pretty good value for him. Could we squeeze a bit more? Maybe, but I don't think I turn it down. It also alleviate our logjam on defense.
# 5 and 10+ would be great

We will likely pick a forward, though I hope it’s not a reach due to perceived needs or external pressure (I think the latter is very unlikely.) Lest we forget Kotkaniemi.

Discounting Dickinson out of hand is foolish.
I agree with that, BTW. But at 5, they can draft a very good forward prospect. Then they have to develop him. KK was probably never really that good of a prospect. MB was just desperate for a center with size.

Re: Dickenson

I would only caution, beware of players built like men in juniors. How much of looking so good is based off being physically filled out & ahead of his peers?

Not saying he’s not a top-5 talent in the draft but just food for thought

I do, but my post has nothing to do with that. Senneke is a known quantity because he plays in a league with the most NHL-like style. His career path is relatively easy to project. But kids who play in Europe, especially in Russia, where you see stuff on video but not much else, in leagues with varying degrees of talent that may or may not translate well at the NHL level, it's impossible to know what you're getting.

It's far easier to project what Senneke will become as an NHLer than what Demidov will become, or even if he will become anything in the NHL. So do the Habs want to take that risk and buy what could be a pig in a poke or go with the guy who is a lead-pipe cinch to be a top 6 forward?
never saw you as a McCagg disciple,,

Re: Dickenson

I would only caution, beware of players built like men in juniors. How much of looking so good is based off being physically filled out & ahead of his peers?

Not saying he’s not a top-5 talent in the draft but just food for thought
He is a complete 200 foot D , he isnt 6`6" 240 that is a complete mismatch

A sure thing top 4D with 1st pair potential

At worst a 15 year Ekholm IMO , a stud

Losing Matheson would suck short term but he's not part of the future while #10 would be for years (hopefully)
Our D is resiliant and played with 5 rookies some nights

I am not worried about losing MM short term , but long term gain

5 and 10 nets us a solid F and D that isnt too far away from the NHL

The real question is next year deadline, do you cash in like a bandit hoping to resign him in the summer or just resign him?

Back