• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

Sure. I wouldn't be shocked with how Lindstrom ends up, one way or another. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a first line power winger, wouldn't surprise me if he was underwhelming.

I prefer not having so many questions about a player I'm taking at #5.

Sure. I wouldn't be shocked with how Lindstrom ends up, one way or another. Wouldn't surprise me if he became a first line power winger, wouldn't surprise me if he was underwhelming.

I prefer not having so many questions about a player I'm taking at #5.
There were lots of questions about Slaf . . . at 1. Other than a few guys every few years, it’s always a bit of a crapshoot.

Yeah, in a post-Covid year, with the top 10 or so prospects playing in 8 different leagues (and all that comes with that) and in what was projected to be the weakest draft in at least a decade. A lot of pundits thought that if you put the 2022 and 2023 draft together, Slaf would have been projected to go around the 6 to 8 range approximately.

Question: not that they’re always right, obviously, but why do you think all these.”professional” scouts who have Lindstrom rated so highly are wrong? They know he only played 32 games this season and yet, they still have ranked top 5 for the most part. I trust them.
Nothing surprising to me. He’s big, skates well, plays a pro game, and he’s a center, although maybe not in the pros. He’s a very easy player to like. But I’ve also seen him dropping in recent lists because of concerns of injuries and small sample.

I don't think anyone's saying they're "wrong", per se.

However, the argument on our end would be, is a 32 game sample enough to catapult someone who wasn't in anyone's top-5 prior to this season? It'd be one thing if he was in Eiserman's shoes and missed half the year due to injury, he was already projected as a top pick.

There are just a lot of unknowns with him.
That’s the thing, had Eiserman been injured for most the season, he’d probably go top 3. The more scrutiny the players have, the more you can nitpick on their game.

Question: not that they’re always right, obviously, but why do you think all these.”professional” scouts who have Lindstrom rated so highly are wrong? They know he only played 32 games this season and yet, they still have ranked top 5 for the most part. I trust them.

He’s an athletic freak that doesn’t come around that often. Scouts are in the projection, not past performance racket

And knowing that this Habs regime strongly believes that hockey IQ can be taught, I see Lidstrom as a good possibility to be wearing the CH
At this point, I think it's a toss-up between Lindstrom & Sennecke. Both of them are both huge projections.

Especially when he did score 27 goals in those 32 games. He was looking pretty damn dominant.

Gotta think the “hunger factor” for Lidstrom is off the charts, based on tough childhood and dedication he’s demonstrated thus far.

The big question TBA is health status of that back

He’s an athletic freak that doesn’t come around that often. Scouts are in the projection, not past performance racket

Snippet from Basu’s The Athletic article:

Lindstrom’s life changed dramatically when he was 14 and his new agent, Daren Hermiston, arranged for him to leave his mother, his grandparents and his three sisters — the backbone of Lindstrom’s childhood — to move 12 hours south to Vancouver, where he would train and learn the finer points of the game at the Delta Hockey Academy in 2020, at the onset of the pandemic.

The president of that academy is Ian Gallagher, the father of veteran Canadiens forward Brendan Gallagher, and he remembers seeing Lindstrom walk in for the first time as a teenager.

“In the 30 years that I’ve been doing this, he’s No. 1 in a number of physical categories: his power, his speed,” Gallagher said in a phone interview Thursday. “During that pandemic year, our NHL guys were back at the rink, and his lap speed at the age of 14 was comparable to what they were doing — what those pro bodies were doing.

“He was doing beach runs with 10-year pros and finishing before them. He’s advanced in those categories.”

It’s a really awkward comparison because of ethnicity, but he reminds me of Evandee Kane, and I can see a similar projection, minus the drama.

It is fairly nuts how these kids have to move so far from home at such a young age. Even at 16 to move far away home or even a different country.

McKenna (from Whitehorse) went to Kelowna at 13 and the medicine hat at 14 and 15.
MacKinnon & Crosby from NS, and numerous others to central Minny for Shattuck St.Marys at 14

Interestingly, Buium’s parents ended up buying a house in Faribault (town where Shattuck’s is located), and his mom moved there during the time he attended the school, but how many hockey parents have the means to do so? Leave jobs, other kids etc.

Back