• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 Draft

F is too harsh, as is blaming him for the current state when MB has more responsibility in it.
The Charlatan is a close second.

But there's no reason anyone can credibly give me for this team's demise that doesn't end up directly at Timmins's feet.

The Charlatan, for all his warts, was able to get players at the pro level. His downfall was keeping Trevor Timmins (and promote him!!!) for the entirety of his tenure here, keeping people like Sylvain Lefebvre and Michel Therrien much longer than needed (Lefebvre moreso than Therrien, I grant you) and basically run the team like we were still in the 90s. But he did some good.

What "good" did Timmins do? He blew two lottery picks. That, in of itself, should be a fireable offense. After 2007, he had 11 first round picks that weren't in the lottery from 2008 to 2021. He missed on 7 of them, hit on three (Sergachev, Guhle & Caufield) and TBD on Mailloux. It'd be one thing if the players didn't turn out ask expected, but ended up as decent NHLers, but that's not even the case. Leblanc, Tinordi, Beaulieu, McCarron, Scherbak, Juulsen, Poehling are either out of the league entirely or barely hanging to a thread on bottom dwellers. (I don't fault Timmins for trading Sergachev, that's 100% on The Charlatan.)

They also had a stretch of a decade where every single player that went to Hamilton/St. John's/Laval ended up dying. There are only two players from 2008 to 2021 that spent any significant time in our farm system that made the NHL: Gallagher & Evans. If there wasn't a lockout, Gallagher probably would have made the team from training camp, but the facts are he spent time in Hamilton. Fine. But nobody else has turned into a real everyday NHLer in 14 years? I'm not talking about the fringe NHLers like Tinordi & McCarron, he gets zero credit for those two in my books. They bounced around a long time before they made it to bottom of the league teams.

So, fast-forward to today. In the first two years of Hughes being here, Laval was empty (The Timmins special). There are barely any players drafted by this team actually on the roster & contributing. There's Guhle, Caufield, Gallagher, Xhekaj (undrafted but Timmins found him), Harris, Evans. RHP to an extent & Roy will be a regular starting next year. That's woefully pathetic.

I think of the Potato Vs Dave Nonis article from the Canucks blogpost a few years ago. They looked at the drafting record of the Canucks, then compared it to how a potato would do if he drafted only forwards from the CHL based entirely on point totals during their 17 years old season. No goalies or d-men taken. The potato did a better job drafting than Vancouver did... By a significant margin:

If Vancouver never kept a single amateur scout on staff, never paid any attention to junior hockey anywhere in the world, never watched a single game, never did any in-depth research, never prepared for the draft for more than three hours each year, and simply took the next highest scoring CHL forward with every selection they had, they would have drafted over 4000 more games of future NHL experience, nearly 1000 more goals, and over 1500 more assists than they did under the Ron Delorme regime. Vancouver’s scouting since 2000 has not just been useless, it’s been a cataclysmic failure on all fronts, and probably the single largest reason why the Canucks have not been able to accrue enough assets to build a perennial Stanley Cup contender.

And that, to me, is Trevor Timmins. If he was just average and not terrible, this team would be in a significantly better position.

Last edited:
Apart from Lindstrom’s back, I like this. Buium has moved past Dickinson IMO - he’s impressive.
Yeah I’m fine with that list too. Lindstrom is a big risk, but I get the appeal. I’d probably pick Sennecke over him but he’s not a sure thing either. Buium looks like a stud.

No. I don’t believe that any of these “insiders” are legit. They just make stuff up to get clicks.
You’re just not very good at reading « insiders », as you believed we were drafting Michkov last year while the noise from the insiders clearly indicated that the team was liking Reinbacher. Just like you thought there was 0% chance Fantilli would drop to 3.

Some guys are full of shit, others have more credibility, just got to read the room.

You’re just not very good at reading « insiders », as you believed we were drafting Michkov last year while the noise from the insiders clearly indicated that the team was liking Reinbacher. Just like you thought there was 0% chance Fantilli would drop to 3.

Some guys are full of shit, others have more credibility, just got to read the room.
Also, since we're reading receipts, there's 0% chance we're not drafting Wright.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Kendrick's dismantling of Drake in the last few weeks. Yesterday's Juneteenth concert is an all-time son'ed moment in music history.

Couldn't happen to a bigger fraud, either.

You're missing the point, there isn't a single player drafted after him that has more points or goals. We literally drafted the BPA that year. That's an A.

Second in goals and 5th in points for that draft class. If there’s a redraft, he goes in the 4-7 range. Great pick at 15.

They’re all full of shit.

I've been thoroughly enjoying Kendrick's dismantling of Drake in the last few weeks. Yesterday's Juneteenth concert is an all-time son'ed moment in music history.

Well, Drake is a Leafs fan so fraud recognizes fraud.

I take it you don't like Aubrey...

It always bothered me that you have "musicians" (if you can call Drake that) who don't write their own songs. I have no idea if Drake knows how to play actual instruments, but I'd bet you his manicured fingers have more experience on 16 year old girls than they do on any guitar. At least if he knew how to play the piano and compensated for not writing his own shit, I'd give him somewhat of a pass. But...

Could you imagine how crushing it would be if you learned that Bob Dylan had ghostwriters? Or John Millencamp?

Drake's a pop star that's gamed the system, and good on him. But he acts real tough for such a spineless coward. He reminds me of those short videos where a dog is behind a fence, growling and barking at another dog, while showing how tough & aggressive it is. Then, they open the gate, and the dog meekly stops... only to have the gate close and return to how they were before.

Back