• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 NHL Draft thread....now in spheremode.

I love the stat someone posted that in a 9-1 loss, the kid was a +1… that’s incredible if you think about it

As much as we all enjoy using first round picks on defensive players known for their truculence, hard work & being wicked smaht, I’m just going to assume that they see a bunch of untapped offensive & puck-moving potential for this kid.

After all, Cowan only had 20 goal & 53 points in 68 games in his draft year.

So I’m cool with this selection, until we see evidence to the contrary.

As much as we all enjoy using first round picks on defensive players known for their truculence, hard work & being wicked smaht, I’m just going to assume that they see a bunch of untapped offensive & puck-moving potential for this kid.

After all, Cowan only had 20 goal & 53 points in 68 games in his draft year.

So I’m cool with this selection, until we see evidence to the contrary.

better be. fucking better be.

generally I don't like these kinds of picks. in the first round you need to prioritize talent. there's later picks where you can get character grinders who stand in the right spot if you want. scads of them.

...no offence to Dale Buford of course, I'm sure he's a great kid and welcome to Toronto

The stat profile is shit but there's nothing more I love than a d that is an elite skater and that's what Joey Danforth is. At the very least it gives him a high floor. Skating + IQ makes me comfortable he'll make the jump at some point. The old beautiful skater version of TJ Brodie would be delightful as his upside. Or Matty "Rolls Royce" Roy. I'll take it.

Last edited:
The stat profile is shit but there's nothing more I love than a d that is an elite skater and that's what Joey Danforth is. At the very least it gives him a high floor. Skating + IQ makes me comfortable he'll make the jump at some point. The old beautiful skater version of TJ Brodie would be delightful as his upside. Or Matty "Rolls Royce" Roy. I'll take it.
They drafted for need there. Clearly. You're doing the right thing, trust his plan. Didn't know Tre would be deferring the decision.

They drafted for need there. Clearly. You're doing the right thing, trust his plan. Didn't know Tre would be deferring the decision.

Don’t get drafting for need outside maybe the top 5 in most drafts. You won’t see the player for 3+ years at least (outside of rare exceptions). This pick prob won’t be ready until after Matthew’s prime is done.

I do think they put extra value in a RD in their best pick available though. And how they got to this decision.

Did Wes Clark say he drafted for need or are we just assuming it since he's a RHD? Did Tre tell Wes to find him the best d and ideally RHD? Based on what I've heard from Wes himself, he does not operate that way... But he does have a boss so maybe he was forced!

I dont know how they can be accused of drafting for need when in fact, there are many other D that are going to go on day 2. At minimum they took the best D on their board, and probably their BPA.

Clark appears to really go against the grain with his scouting vs the Pronman's of the world

If they're torn between a winger and a RHD then I'm sure tie goes to the RHD. Not because it's a need but because it's the rarer and harder to find position. And on average a good RHD is more impactful than a winger. But beyond that.. not sure I buy the "need" thesis.

Back