• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2024 NHL Draft thread....now in spheremode.

If they're torn between a winger and a RHD then I'm sure tie goes to the RHD. Not because it's a need but because it's the rarer and harder to find position. And on average a good RHD is more impactful than a winger. But beyond that.. not sure I buy the "need" thesis.
That's the argument i keep hearing on Levshunov over Demidov, and i understand it. RHD are so hard to find, let alone a potential superstar #1

I dont know how they can be accused of drafting for need when in fact, there are many other D that are going to go on day 2. At minimum they took the best D on their board, and probably their BPA.

Clark appears to really go against the grain with his scouting vs the Pronman's of the world
And it sounds like he was their bpa at 23. Curious to know how highly they actually ranked him. Wes is a madman.

Like a few fancy twitter people read mocks for 2 months created by a group of tools like Pronman and Button, not realizing the gap between 20-50 is very very narrow, sees something off the mark and flip their lids.

Like a few fancy twitter people read mocks for 2 months created by a group of tools like Pronman and Button, not realizing the gap between 20-50 is very very narrow, sees something off the mark and flip their lids.
Believe the Leafs are also tracking some stats that pronman, wheeler and button aren't. Don't think it's a coincidence that their picks in recent years tend to light up the page in the limited public nerdies we see.

Surely they're not the only team doing this but it's added context that the public doesn't really have.

If they're torn between a winger and a RHD then I'm sure tie goes to the RHD. Not because it's a need but because it's the rarer and harder to find position. And on average a good RHD is more impactful than a winger. But beyond that.. not sure I buy the "need" thesis.
I think they must see Dan Brantford as a future top pair guy. Either number one lite or strong second guy. They know he has the skills to be defensively elite, and they’ve seen something to believe he could be good offensively. It’s that second part they’re gambling on. So then either he becomes a top pairing guy or a Schenn type, remains to be seen which one.

It’s the timing of the pick that annoys. Could they really not have snagged him at 58? Or traded to Kampf to NJ for another 2nd?

It’s the timing of the pick that annoys. Could they really not have snagged him at 58? Or traded to Kampf to NJ for another 2nd?
There were some whispers that he could be taken earlier than projected. Some teams loved his progression throughout the year and felt his ranking didn't really price that in. I mean he's an elite skater so if he suddenly turns on some legit offensive production, however unlikely that may be, that sorta makes him a can't miss prospect. For a late 1st or 2nd rounder, it's worth taking a flyer on that and hoping for the best.

I doubt he's gonna be Morgan Rielly back there but some competent numbers next year would be cool. His numbers this year were not competent.

Its not impossible that another team has a Wes Clark that thinks like Wes Clark and the real Wes Clark has to navigate the draft to avoid the fake Wes Clark taking the Wes Clark pick.

The good news is that Wes Clark knows where this other Wes Clark is.

And let's not forget another Wes Clark quote from last year regarding "reaching" for Cowan.

"Part of our job here is collecting Intel. We knew a number of teams behind us had him high on the board so we felt we had to take him."

I'm sure a similar logic applied to taking Jim Grantford at 31.

Back