• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Didn't Nyquist go through the draft undrafted one year then get picked up by Detroit the next?

So, do the Red Wings have yet another late-round European stud in Nyquist?

I don't think he'll be a stud, but may end being a solid contributor.

BTW, don't tell Count the Wings took their time developing Nyquist:
- 3-yrs at NCAA (Univ of Maine)
- 2-full yrs in the AHL, and a part of a 3rd (this season)

In terms of player development Detroit does an A1 job.

They have a process and they stick with it....as a prospect you will spend time in the AHL like it or not.

They've missed on some first rounders, but why is it they can find guys like this particularly in Sweden? Is it all about having the right connections over there, or some ultra-gifted scouts? I mean yes, they were on the leading edge, but we are into our third generation of this (Lidstrom,Holmstrom,etc.-Zetterberg,Franzen,etc-now Nyquist and likely others). Maybe other teams should just allocate money into stealing info instead of putting scouts over there.

The lineup they iced against Toronto wasn't much on paper. And yet. One common element, they don't seem to mind drafting guys with perceived faults, (Hudler,Nyquist,Jurco,Frk), but who have skill, sometimes character sometimes not, and other teams pass on. But the Wings roll the dice, and combined with the ability to get the most out of the player, it often succeeds . Mantha will likely be next, though he wasn't really hidden.

Last edited:

They've missed on some first rounders, but why is it they can find guys like this particularly in Sweden? Is it all about having the right connections over there, or some ultra-gifted scouts? I mean yes, they were on the leading edge, but we are into our third generation of this (Lidstrom,Holmstrom,etc.-Zetterberg,Franzen,etc-now Nyquist and likely others). Maybe other teams should just allocate money into stealing info instead of putting scouts over there.

The lineup they iced against Toronto wasn't much on paper. And yet. One common element, they don't seem to mind drafting guys with perceived faults, (Hudler,Nyquist,Jurco,Frk), but who have skill, sometimes character sometimes not, and other teams pass on. But the Wings roll the dice, and combined with the ability to get the most out of the player, it often succeeds . Mantha will likely be next, though he wasn't really hidden.

No offense, but MaxPac, Gallagher, Plekanec, Galchenyuk, Subban were all homegrown. The Wings draft record since Franzen was selected in 2004 has been very avg at best.

Keep in mind Zetterberg & Datsyuk had the luck of being drafted by an org who pre-2004 lockout were always amongst top-2 in $pending. Both of them played 4th line roles for 3+ yrs before being given top-2 line minutes starting in 2005-2006. The rest is a trickle down effect, so they could buy time by keeping prospects in the farm longer.

Habs draft record has been marred by obvious first round gambles that didn't pay off -- AKos in one of the greatest draft classes in recent memory and Dave Fischer in 06 (just ahead of Giroux, Berglund, Foligno)

Last edited:

I don't think he'll be a stud, but may end being a solid contributor.

BTW, don't tell Count the Wings took their time developing Nyquist:
- 3-yrs at NCAA (Univ of Maine)
- 2-full yrs in the AHL, and a part of a 3rd (this season)

Maybe because he wasn't very good when he was young?

Furthermore, he didn't stay four years in university which bolsters what I say, if you want to be a decent player in the NHL, staying four years in university is not the way to go about it.

I want Count Jr to get a great education. Promise us that. Too many morons on this board already.

The other plan, previously discussed, is to send him to Sweden at age 17 where he can score 0 goals and still be considered a 2nd round steal.

I want Count Jr to get a great education. Promise us that. Too many morons on this board already.

There us to be a poster on here named Chiggins that would fit that profile .... :smilewinkgrin:

Last edited:

You're a meanie.

Out of curiosity, are you one of them?

First morons then trolls.

something have you upset today?

First morons then trolls.

something have you upset today?

nope. having a great day. first no cavities at the dentist this morning and then landed some significant writing/marketing contracts in the afternoon. got my taxes done early and booked a June trip to NYC.

maybe I'm using the wrong typeface here

present company excluded fo'sure.

Back