• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Adam Oates called out Ovechkin yesterday after the game.

He said Ovy quit on a play....

Oates is gone this summer.....

Capitals are screwed...they are stuck with a one-dimensional 9 mil player on a 13-year contract. He is the captain, but doesn't lead by example.

Watch them trade Green and Backstrom.....

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Looks like the Wings will make the playoffs again, unbelievable. Leafs and Jackets will battle for the last playoff spot.

Any if their top guys like Nuggent Hopkins, Hall or Yakupov will cost too much...I'd be very interested in Perron however

I would be too, but they're not trading him. He's been (arguably) their best or at worst their second best forward all year.

Buffalo is the perfect trade partner where they can move Ehroff , Myers , etc...

nathan and a 1 wont get you much

Buffalo could potentially fleece Edmonton in a trade for Myers.

They have one of the best defensive prospect pools in all of hockey. Zadurov, Ristolainen (sp), McCabb, Pysyk... That's a very, very good prospect list. All of them are 22 or under too.

That the top scorer in the league could be dead last at -36 is just mind boggling. And he doesn't even play on one of the worst teams in the league.

+/- is a shitty stat, I put nothing in it.

That said, Ovechkin is a relaitvely easy player to defend against. Take away his onetimer and he struggles to score goals.

If I was Edmonton, I would be more worried about the lack of forwards who possess both skill and size. They have two good defensemen prospects who have decent size in Nurse and Marincin. If they can add another good defenceman at this years draft, they may be OK. But where are the big forwards with skill in their system?

That said, Ovechkin is a relaitvely easy player to defend against. Take away his onetimer and he struggles to score goals.

I don't know...stats say he is relatively easy to score against, not prevent from scoring goals. 48 goals and -36 are so extreme, there has to be something in there that says he has some massive holes in his game.

I don't know...stats say he is relatively easy to score against, not prevent from scoring goals. 48 goals and -36 are so extreme, there has to be something in there that says he has some massive holes in his game.

Shitty defense and bad goaltending hasn't helped. The thing with +/- is, you could be doing your job perfectly and the goaltender lets in a completely awful goal, you still get a -.

That said, Ovechkin isn't exactly a defensive ace by any stretch of the imagination either.

Jacques Martin and Spacek had it all figured out....

Shitty defense and bad goaltending hasn't helped. The thing with +/- is, you could be doing your job perfectly and the goaltender lets in a completely awful goal, you still get a -.

Bob Mac was saying on TSN that in his 9 seasons, Ovi has only been a minus player 3 times...so his +/- is overly exaggerated

The only thing that could explain it...he must have scored a freakishly large percentage of his goals on the PP this year.

Nope. Only 22 of his 48 are on the PP. Last year, 16 of his 32 goals were on the PP and he was +2.

Half of his points are on the PP this year.

If he played on one of three worst teams in the league, the -36 could be explained away. Caps as a team are -14, not good but far from the worst in the league. I think Oates hasn't held him accountable enough on D. He should have benched him at times, like previous coaches have had to do.

Saw one article recently that his on-ice team save pct is something insane like .800. So basically, when he's on the ice, the other team is scoring like mad on their goalies. Maybe it's because he's not back-checking and thus virtually giving the other team a PP whenever he's on, but it's not all on him, I think.

Cant be that easy. He has a few goals this year.

Anyone else looking forward to watching the Bruins/Leaf game tonight?

should be a good one....Bruins don't lose two in a row often and Leafs are in desperation mode, if Leafs lose and CBJ wins it may be the nail in the coffin.

Leafs will have to make up three points in 4 games but CBJ will have 6 games left

No, I don't "look forward" to games by either team unless they're playing the Habs.

The Caps are fine... and Ovi is fine.

The fact that he's played the last month with Jay Beagle as the first line centre is a ****ing travesty. Oates might be the dumbest coach in the NHL with that lineup. No wonder he can only score on the PP for a month now, Oates is killing his own team at Evens.

Back