• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

I think Mon Oncle Lou's team sneaks in....

NJ has to always be a scary team to face...they seem to very easily flip on that switch into a stifling defensive system that is suited for the playoffs.

Playoffs are way more fun when there are more Canadian teams in the mix. CBC showing American teams in the playoffs is very bad TV.

That makes no sense. If the American teams are better then it's better TV. I'd rather see the Habs being the only Canadian team than to see a few more shitty Canadian teams squeak in.

I can care less about what country a team plays in....it's the matchup that matters.

Take a Philly/NYR matchup....that would be fun to watch as would most other 3-4 matchups

That makes no sense. If the American teams are better then it's better TV. I'd rather see the Habs being the only Canadian team than to see a few more shitty Canadian teams squeak in.

It does make sense...CBC is a hokey community TV network, they love all that Canadiana smuck. MacLean and Cherry shmoozing with the hoser Canadian fans. It's their bread and butter. It works better when a Canadian team is making a run.

That's fine for CBC but I don't give a shit about watching shitty Canadian teams over good American teams. Not sure why you'd care either.

That's fine for CBC but I don't give a shit about watching shitty Canadian teams over good American teams. Not sure why you'd care either.

Honestly, if the Habs are out of the playoffs after the first round, I watch very little of the playoffs. Especially if its the boring LA Kings in the middle of June for fsakes. But if the 8th place Oilers are making a playoff run and their hapless crazy fans are going rabid...thats good TV.

Honestly, if the Habs are out of the playoffs after the first round, I watch very little of the playoffs. Especially if its the boring LA Kings in the middle of June for fsakes. But if the 8th place Oilers are making a playoff run and their hapless crazy fans are going rabid...thats good TV.

I'm the same way. I cheered for the Canucks, oilers and flames in their recent runs to the cup finals.

Think you're missing the point, which is that it'd be better it Canadian teams were less shitty.

Think you're missing the point, which is that it'd be better it Canadian teams were less shitty.

Sigh. I guess nos Canadiens will have to make up for the ROC in the playoffs. But guys, this is the last time.

It used to be that we (those of us old enough to remember )wanted no Canadian teams in the playoffs other than the Habs. Because the only other one was the Leafs. Same for Leafs fans-they wanted us to miss. There were no borders perceived. This bullshit patriotism thing re NHL is a relatively new invention.

I'm actually shocked how 6-of-7 Cdn teams who make up approx 40% of the leagues revenues, are ALL so abysmal.

Fine apathy sets in for 2 maybe 3 of the franchises, but 6-of-7...really? Defies the law of averages.

I wonder how this will effect the cap?

Although player's don't get paid in the playoffs, the NHL surely does. I suppose it will be better for the cap since the Canadian dollar is so low right now. That is providing that the games in the US sell out, which I think they will.

I wonder how this will effect the cap?

Although player's don't get paid in the playoffs, the NHL surely does. I suppose it will be better for the cap since the Canadian dollar is so low right now. That is providing that the games in the US sell out, which I think they will.

Pretty sure the Leafs or Canucks would charge more for tickets, even with the exchange, than Columbus or Tampa. But the overall effect is very minimal - the big losers would be CBC and advertising revenue, if the games aren't as popular without the Canadian teams.

Meh, there is what? 35 million people in Canada? There are more in California alone. Advertising revenue isn't that much.

Back