• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Great start for Shanahan...he just ended the honeymoon pretty quickly with that decision

He better have a deal in place to bring in a guy like Staal, or at least a Spezza, or a move to deal away Phaneuf. Something to shake up the roster. Since if he's not changing the management, people are going to be pissed very quick without a big change.

Hopefully they try to over-compensate and end up overpaying.

Carlyle was extended two more years beyond next season, lol.

All three of his assistants were let go.

Carlyle was extended two more years beyond next season, lol.

All three of his assistants were let go.

I still think Carlyle has only one more chance. If the team doesn't make the playoffs next year, he's probably gone. Leafs will have no problem eating the last year of his contract.

so good

i think coaches roles are overated (largely never little difference between 90% of them)...but this will be good just for the hate leaffan will have

Impossible to say, Carolina didn't give him the best team to work with.

Not a great team but no great results either. The team didn't overachieve neither was a disappointment. In short, Muller was at best a non-factor. That's not good enough for an NHL coach.

Not a great team but no great results either. The team didn't overachieve neither was a disappointment. In short, Muller was at best a non-factor. That's not good enough for an NHL coach.

Impossible for every team to overachieve....

This league is often too quick to just fire coaches for not overachieving though.

And reward for too long coaches that have had success in the past. Such is life. As a coach, you have to make the most out of your first chance as you might not ever get another. See Gerard Gallant as an example.

Can you name me a team that overachieved with no goalie?

Bryzgalov was a good goalie. .920 save % both years while playing in a very defensive team.

First season Muller was in Carolina was his best year, he got around league average of .915 save %. The year after, every goalie was sub-.910% and this year, while Cam Ward was under .900, Anton Khudobin had a career year with .926 save %

Carolina sucked this year the same reason New Joizy sucked. They stubbornly played the established veteran that was struggling mightily (Brodeur & Ward) over the younger and better goalie. That I can blame on Muller.

If Schneider started 60-65 games instead of 43, the Devils are comfortably in the playoffs. Same thing with the Hurricans. If Cam Ward (.898) plays 20 games instead of 30 and Khudobin (.926) plays 45-50 instead of 34, they might have beaten out Columbus and/or Detroit to make the playoffs.

Bryzgalov was never a good goalie. He played being a good defensive system that limited second chances and played to his strengths. Tippett is a great coach and made them better than they really were, which is exactly my point. They didn't make the playoff under Gretzky.

Back