• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Polack is slow and not that mobile but physical

I'm still completely baffled at the trade.

The only way this trade makes sense for Toronto is if they have an inside scoop on Gunnarsson's medical condition and that he has a bad hip or something. Otherwise, I don't know man.

Gunnarsson > Polak

And they gave him, a draft pick + held on to some salary?

An absolute robbery by St. Louis.

But then again, maybe the Leafs want to upgrade their chances at tanking? I dunno.

Polack is slow and not that mobile but physical

FWIW, a couple years ago:

In the sprint portion of the testing, the three fastest skaters were No. 1 Andy McDonald, No. 2 Roman Polak and No. 3 Chris Porter. All three are fitness freaks and perennial winners in the event.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_26dfb236-e094-11e0-9726-0019bb30f31a.html

I don't watch him enough. Maybe he sucks but it doesn't appear that he's slow.

The Ribiero issue didn't end well for us. In short order we went looking for a centre and found Scott Gomez. I need not go into what that cost us.

I don't know what Ribiero's issues are, but he has had a long career and seemed to be go through a long stable period in Dallas-the team had no known issues with him.

Frankly, I would have preferred him to Gomez regardless.Always loved his skill.

I'm still completely baffled at the trade.

The only way this trade makes sense for Toronto is if they have an inside scoop on Gunnarsson's medical condition and that he has a bad hip or something. Otherwise, I don't know man.

Gunnarsson > Polak

And they gave him, a draft pick + held on to some salary?

An absolute robbery by St. Louis.

But then again, maybe the Leafs want to upgrade their chances at tanking? I dunno.

Nonis said they had similar Dmen in the system that could replace Gunnarsson and they needed a right handed shut down Dman like Polak.

The Ribiero issue didn't end well for us. In short order we went looking for a centre and found Scott Gomez. I need not go into what that cost us.

I don't know what Ribiero's issues are, but he has had a long career and seemed to be go through a long stable period in Dallas-the team had no known issues with him.

Frankly, I would have preferred him to Gomez regardless.Always loved his skill.

His character flaws and reputation have made him move from team to team and no one seems to want to hang on to him despite pretty good stats....he must really have issues because his talent us undeniable

FWIW, a couple years ago:

In the sprint portion of the testing, the three fastest skaters were No. 1 Andy McDonald, No. 2 Roman Polak and No. 3 Chris Porter. All three are fitness freaks and perennial winners in the event.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hock...cle_26dfb236-e094-11e0-9726-0019bb30f31a.html

I don't watch him enough. Maybe he sucks but it doesn't appear that he's slow.

I think its more his mobility....a lot of players can skate fast but look awfully slow in game action

On our end I can say that Emelin is a strong skater and has good speed overall ig he has to skate in a straight line but man some nights he just looks like he's in quick sand

Nonis said they had similar Dmen in the system that could replace Gunnarsson and they needed a right handed shut down Dman like Polak.

I could maybe understand it if the trade was Gunnarsson for Polak + 3rd + salary retention.

As is? St. Louis is getting the best asset in the deal and they're receiving extra.

I don't get it.

Bob McKenzie ‏BUF has initiated compliance buyout procedures on Christian Ehrhoff. Not official just yet but BUF has begun the process.

Bob McKenzie I'm sure @capgeek will have details but BUF obviously feared potential cap recapture penalties if Ehrhoff retired before contract expired.

Bob McKenzie @mc79hockey IIRC, it's whopper penalty if he shuts down with one year left on deal. Taking off now. @capgeek will know. @capgeek knows all.

There's 18 million $ left on Ehrhoff's deal over the next 7 seasons, so they'll have to pay roughly 12 million over 14 years.

Wouldn't they be better off eating some salary and trading him or is the risk of retirement really that great?

Wouldn't they be better off eating some salary and trading him or is the risk of retirement really that great?

If Buff trades him & he retires with one year left on their deal, there's a $10M salary cap penalty.

Ehrhoff got over 50% of the money in the deal in the first three years and by being bought out, he becomes the best d-man available. Time to cash in one again.

mc79hockey ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie is right that it’s a whopper penalty if he retires with one year left. Hard for me to imagine he’d play two years at $1M...

mc79hockey …and then retire before a third year at $1MM. I guess it’s a question of how a risk you think that is.

mc79hockey Here’s my graph of Ehrhoff vs. team. I think he’s a fantastic potential FA. http://www.mc79hockey.com/wp-content/uploads/Screen-Shot-2014-05-30-at-2.19.05-AM.png

mc79hockey If Buffalo traded Ehrhoff and he retired with one year left on his deal, then they get drilled with a $10MM penalty.

mc79hockey So that’s the risk they’d face. It seems unlikely to me that it would come to pass but I’m not the guy who’d have been carrying that risk.

Trade him to NJ....Lou will find a way to have the penalties dropped

Nick Kypreos ‏# Sabres Ehrhoff has the option to not go on #NHL waivers. Won't get his buyout agreement until he notifies club he is opting out of waivers

CapGeek ‏If Ehrhoff allows waivers and is claimed, recapture scenario is ugly for #Sabres as illustrated in recapture grid. http://capgeek.com/recapture-grid

Anybody have Tim Murray's phone number? I'd like to make an argument as to why acquiring Daniel Brière is a great idea for 1) continued tanking, 2) reaching the salary cap floor and 3) getting a couple more asses in the seats.

Seems like a win-win for everyone, right? :)

The Panthers have placed Ed Jovanovski on waivers for the purpose of a buyout.

Back