• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Around The League: 2016-17 Playoffs

Re: Around The League: 2013 - 2014 Season

Yeah, but they have nothing to show for him but a 6th rounder and cap space

It would be like MB pretty much giving away Eller

Not really.

Tampa probably didn't think much of Gagner and just acquired him so that someone could take Purcell off their hands.

The whole point was to create cap space. Now that I think about it, with Stamkos & Filpulla as their two centers, I think they might try to get a good winger like Hemsky/Iginla/Moulson. Their d is weak, but they have 6 d-men signed for next season (7 if you include Ohlund, but he's all but retired at this point) with Sustr probably getting re-signed soon. I mean, maybe they could get some D, but they have a much bigger need on wing.

Not really.

Tampa probably didn't think much of Gagner and just acquired him so that someone could take Purcell off their hands.

The whole point was to create cap space. Now that I think about it, with Stamkos & Filpulla as their two centers, I think they might try to get a good winger like Hemsky/Iginla/Moulson. Their d is weak, but they have 6 d-men signed for next season (7 if you include Ohlund, but he's all but retired at this point) with Sustr probably getting re-signed soon. I mean, maybe they could get some D, but they have a much bigger need on wing.

Yeah i understand but it's just weird asset management....They give up Purcel for basically a 6th rounder

I would think they would at least want a higher pick back like a 3rd or something

But i get that the value is also the cap space

I would take Teddy Purcel as a 3rd liner...he's a good depth guy

The Lightning are retaining one-third of Gagner's salary.

Jesus. That's highway robbery by Arizona. They get a second line center at ~$3.5M and a fourth line plug for virtually nothing.

Jesus. That's highway robbery by Arizona. They get a second line center at ~$3.5M and a fourth line plug for virtually nothing.

Yup, they made out pretty good

I think Oilers break even

Yeah, but they have nothing to show for him but a 6th rounder and cap space

It would be like MB pretty much giving away Eller

Cap space is an asset. This may well turn out to be a shrewd manoeuvre if they've been talking to someone for the last couple of days.

Cap space is an asset. This may well turn out to be a shrewd manoeuvre if they've been talking to someone for the last couple of days.

Yeah for sure but you still don't want to just give away assets....I think Yzerman just gave away

If MB is in fact trying to move Gorges for cap space or to make room for younger players I doubt he just gifts wrap Gorges to an team for pretty much a nothing pick

Capgeek.com reports that Tampa Bay also retained 1.6M X 2 years of Gagner's salary. If true, absolutely horrible trade by Yzerman no matter who they pick up with that "cap space".

Back